Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:28pm - May 10,06 
I didn't work today so I headed back to the Kane County Forest Preserve on Jericho Rd. and fished the quarry and BRC. So far this was my best outing of the year. All together I caught 11 nice sized gills, 2 LM bass (12 in or so) , 1 crappie (11in.) and a 10 in. rock bass. I caught one bass and the rock bass in the creek along with a couple of the gills. I actually enjoyed the creek today better than the quarry. The bass are still on the spawning beds and are very skittish. Also saw some quillbacks and a couple of giant carp (10+ lbs.). Most of the fish were caught on crawlers but a couple were caught on a spinner bait and a power worm. Everything in the creek was caught up close to shore within 3 feet or so of the bank. I imagine with all the rain coming the area will be poor for fishing for the next week or so. Overall I had a good day.
UncleMark

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:09pm - May 10,06 
UncleMark wrote:
I imagine with all the rain coming the area will be poor for fishing for the next week or so.

You'd be surprised UncleMark... there was a day when Dances With Fish and I were at that quarry tearing up the bass right after massive rain. :wink:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:40pm - May 12,06 
UncleMark wrote:
...I imagine with all the rain coming the area will be poor for fishing for the next week or so...UncleMark

"Smallmouth fight on a river risin'." That quote is not original to me but it is true. And once the creek is up into the shoreline, you can dabble for em in the timber.

Good Luck,
Russ

Chitown-Angler

Location: Batavia & Coal City, IL; 17' '85 Ranger 335-V Bass Boat w/ 115hp Evinrude. Let's go fishin'

Post Posted: 08:06am - May 13,06 
Thanks for the report UncleMark. I've only been there once. I stopped in to check it out on my way home from Shabbona this spring. I didn't fish the creek or the quarry that day. When I was there, I couldn't get over how crystal clear the water was! Don't know, but I'm wondering if nothing else, the rain could help cloud up the water a little? I’m looking forward to getting out there this year with the kids, figuring the place out, and catching some!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:06am - May 13,06 
Bearsfan wrote:
When I was there, I couldn't get over how crystal clear the water was! Don't know, but I'm wondering if nothing else, the rain could help cloud up the water a little?

Oh yeah.. that quarry is GIN CLEAR... which make catching fish there a little challenging. I've actually seen fish swim right up to my bait, stare at it for a moment, then swim away.
What totally blew my mind was that I dumped the remaining minnows I had in the lake before I left and it was like a FREAKIN FEEDING FRENZY! :lol:

So a couple of tips ... use small hooks... and use 6 or 8lb test flourocarbon line.

Oh, and the rain will cloud up the water a little, but it usually doesn't last. I've never caught much out there when the water was cloudy... with the exception of one unique day when the creek spilled heavily into the lake... causing a huge degree of difference in water clarity. There was a distinct line between muddy water and cloudy water. Casting your bait very close to that line of water color change usually got you a fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:30pm - May 13,06 
The Big Rock quarry is an awesome place for sure. Try Berkely Vanish Transition line there...it will improve your catch. You may want to check on the legality of dumping minnows in the quarry prior to doing so.

Don R

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:22pm - May 13,06 
Its illegal to dump minnows in any Illinois water (unless the water is privately owned). I didn't know that regulation when I did it. But, looking back, I only had about 3 minnows left. So I set them free... so to speak. They lasted all of about 20 seconds.

Now on the rare occasion when I do use live bait I always make sure I dump my leftover minnows in the garbage... as I'm sure everyone else does. :monk

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:32pm - Feb 24,07 
Has anyone ever given the thought of ice fishing on Big Rock Quarry? It certainly might beat fishing from shore in the spring and summer. I've seen some nice sized bass there and now they might like a diet of minnows or crawlers since winter is winding down.
UncleMark

Chitown-Angler

Location: Batavia & Coal City, IL; 17' '85 Ranger 335-V Bass Boat w/ 115hp Evinrude. Let's go fishin'

Post Posted: 11:36pm - Feb 24,07 
UncleMark wrote:
Has anyone ever given the thought of ice fishing on Big Rock Quarry? It certainly might beat fishing from shore in the spring and summer. I've seen some nice sized bass there and now they might like a diet of minnows or crawlers since winter is winding down.
UncleMark

I was told there is no ice fishing...

http://www.chitown-angler.com/1fish/viewtopic.php?t=14628&

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:37am - Feb 25,07 
Yep, it is posted that there is no ice fishing.

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: