Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:14am - Mar 29,19 
Looking to hit the DR more this year. Have had limited success as a bank angler on both (I know it's tough because it's hard to cover much ground). But, is one branch known to be more productive than the other? Are there any differences at all? I plan on hitting both more this year and will mainly be in the Naperville area however I do plan on working my way South to different access points. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experiences. Looking forward to a fun and productive year!!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:09pm - Apr 2,19 
Both branches are productive but they're pretty different rivers actually. The east branch tends to be a bit deeper on average, siltier, and slower moving. The west branch is rockier, has long shallower stretches, and has more of the riffles/runs you'd expect in a smallmouth river. So for example a Shad Rap will survive longer on the EB because of all of the rocks it will bang against on the WB. Also may lose more jigs to bottom snags on the WB. Bank fishing can be good, but wading is really the way to go if possible. Most of the consistent holes I know of are either unreachable from shore or better angled if you're standing in the river.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:01am - Apr 5,19 
Thanks for the reply. I've noticed that as well. I've fished the EB from Hobson South to 75th. Also east of Whalon to Washington. Much deeper than the WB where I fish which is usually downtown Naperville south to Knoch Knolls. Have had way more success on WB branch but largest smallie was 1.5#s, which was lots of fun. Majority of fish are closer to half that size.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: