Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:22pm - Nov 21,18 
With our break starting yesterday evening, my brother and I decided to make the trip back home early this morning and hit trail creek on the way back home. With high hopes of picking up a few steelhead on the way home, our optimism ended after arriving to unfovorable water levels and a lack of fish in our go to holes. We gave it a shot anyway though, but after a few hours of no success, we decided to finish our ride back home.

I’ve been chomping at the bit to get back to the Dupage ever since I left for school in August and from reading all of jmdog’s posts. After a 5 am start time this morning, it took some convincing to get my brother to stop at the river before arriving home, but eventually he gave in after I reminded him about the last walleye I caught about a year from today.

While the walleyes eluded us today, my holes on the West Branch still produced some quality fish for us. My brother and I both used a 3-inch twister tail, I started with chartreuse and he started with white. Right off the bat, we started catching fish, eventually leading me to my best smallmouth of the year out of the Dupage.
We fished for about an hour and a half, and finished with 9 smallys all around this class size.
Mid way through our trip, my smallmouth action was put on hold with this brute that took me on a ride with my 6 pound test.
Great way to start off the break back home, I’ll definitely be hitting the Dupage a few more times before I leave Sunday.

Last edited by AJ13 on 07:45pm - Nov 21,18, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:28pm - Nov 21,18 
Some gorgeous tanks for sure, even the carp :)

The river seems to be fishing better every season the past few years. I really wish they would level those downstream dams. We'd be catching all kinds of species. But there has been quite a bit of variety the last couple of years even with those dams still standing.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:27am - Nov 22,18 
You took that carp with an artificial? Didn't snag him (as I usually do)? Nice fish and you and jmdog are showing the rest of us that the Duper is no slouch when it comes to holding bigger fish. Nice pics... have a great holiday (and to everybody else).

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:50am - Nov 22,18 
chuckt wrote:
You took that carp with an artificial? Didn't snag him (as I usually do)? Nice fish and you and jmdog are showing the rest of us that the Duper is no slouch when it comes to holding bigger fish. Nice pics... have a great holiday (and to everybody else).

On this one, I snagged him on accident in the tail. I have caught them on artificial in the past though. It seems like in the winter months the carp stack up in the deeper holes that I usually fish in, so it has come pretty common for me to snag in to one on accident here and there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:49pm - Nov 22,18 
Still a good fight. I calling a draw when the carp throws the hook and I retain the artificial and, if on my fly rod, the rod not broken.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:18pm - Nov 23,18 
Good to have you home!!!

Kinda tired of your mug in all the pictures. Need some of your brother. :ouch

Tom

Twin Fins

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:31pm - Nov 23,18 
Nice day to compound wax a boat.

President, Trollers Unlimited, Inc.