Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:49pm - Oct 24,18 
Hello everyone. Been reading through the forums. Lots of great info. Seems like a great community here. Anyways, I’ve started fishing the DuPage this year. Mainly in Naperville in four spots. McDowell Grove, Naperville riverwalk, Pioneer Park and Knoch Knolls. A little action here and there but mainly little ones. So, are there any spots you could recommend? Thinking of hitting some spots in Warrenville. Willing to go anywhere to find the bigger smallies. Unfortunately I only bank fish so I maybe limited but have become adept at breaking through the brush. Also, what are some of your favorite lures to throw. I’ve had most luck with little crankbaits. Caught my biggest on a popper. Ned and shaky rig has also worked. Thanks for any tips and or advice you’re willing to share!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:29am - Oct 25,18 
Welcome to the site Rob.

If you haven't yet take a couple minutes and read jmdog's posts, he is one guy that kills on the DuPage.

Most folks will not discuss location as they have worked the river for a long time and found locations that produce. Some may be willing to help with general locations but normally don't post exact locations.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:11am - Oct 25,18 
Thanks Marc... yeah, I've read his posts. Just don't know where he's fishing!!!! :lol:

And, I certainly don't expect anyone to tell me their favorite spots. Really just looking for general info like 'Not many good spots in Naperville', 'Need to hit Warrenville' or 'Better after West and East Branch join'. I like taking the time to explore. Just hoping someone can send me in the right direction.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:59pm - Oct 25,18 
robh wrote:
I like taking the time to explore.

Exploring is what it takes. Don't give up on the water in your backyard, right there in Naperville. My son AJ started fishing the river there in the last few years, and has picked it up pretty well, mostly from tips given in this forum. Shallow cranks and a simple white twister tail are his go to baits. If he wasn't back in school, that's where he would be fishing right now.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:31pm - Oct 25,18 
I randomly fished the dupage in downtown Naperville just once and we caught a mixed bag of catfish, gills, and smallmouth throwing mini mites and a small jigs with a paddle tail. Was very surprised at the outcome. I could imagine exploring would be much more successful. Best of luck!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:50pm - Oct 25,18 
Bank fishing does limit you. I would venture the area just in back of the County Line Animal Clinic on Washington Blvd. The river is close to the asphalt path and there is a pool that can hold rockbass, smallmouth, and carp. I have taken some nice fish but I usually fly fish it. It has its share of wood and rocks that can snag your equipment.
Yeah, the smaller smallmouth are aggressive so you will find them happy to hit what you throw.
Then, walk downstream (south) and you will find a bench with a memorial plaque. For some odd reason, the park district had leveled the vegetation to the river so you can get to it easily. Don't know what you will catch there but you can tell us in your reports.
A reason why not wading? It is a friendly river (even for an old codger like me with arthritic knees) and you will be able to explore and appreciate it more.
BTW, welcome to Chi Town Anglers.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:56pm - Oct 25,18 
Is there a rules guide for wading? Like where to enter? Are there any areas off limits?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:46pm - Oct 25,18 
reno wrote:
Is there a rules guide for wading? Like where to enter? Are there any areas off limits?

On the Dupage you need to be aware of property lines as they extend into the water since the Dupage is NOT considered a navigable waterway (different rules from the Fox, Des Plaines, K3). Most parks are fair game for access, just be aware when you are leaving park grounds. Will people bother you if you just go about your business and don't be a spanky? Probably not. But I have seen it on a few occasions where waders get into it with property owners and the waders have no idea that they are the ones who are trespassing. It's confrontations like that where fisherman lose access :noway :rulz :cuss

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:30pm - Oct 25,18 
chuckt wrote:
Bank fishing does limit you. I would venture the area just in back of the County Line Animal Clinic on Washington Blvd. The river is close to the asphalt path and there is a pool that can hold rockbass, smallmouth, and carp. I have taken some nice fish but I usually fly fish it. It has its share of wood and rocks that can snag your equipment.
Yeah, the smaller smallmouth are aggressive so you will find them happy to hit what you throw.
Then, walk downstream (south) and you will find a bench with a memorial plaque. For some odd reason, the park district had leveled the vegetation to the river so you can get to it easily. Don't know what you will catch there but you can tell us in your reports.
A reason why not wading? It is a friendly river (even for an old codger like me with arthritic knees) and you will be able to explore and appreciate it more.
BTW, welcome to Chi Town Anglers.

Thanks Chuck. I’ve thought about trying that area. I’ll make it my next stop! Not really sure why I haven’t purchased waders. I guess I always imagined myself not paying attention as I step into a 5’ hole and fall over. :D But I may give it a shot next spring.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:52pm - Oct 25,18 
robh wrote:
Thanks Chuck. I’ve thought about trying that area. I’ll make it my next stop! Not really sure why I haven’t purchased waders. I guess I always imagined myself not paying attention as I step into a 5’ hole and fall over. :D But I may give it a shot next spring.

Rob, I used to wade the Fox a lot and I learned not to walk but shuffle your feet, small steps so you can see what you are walking into until you learn the water. And after a big rain there can be new washouts so even if you know the water move slowly again, a riverbed can change pretty drastically after a good storm.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:14am - Oct 26,18 
Yeah I second chuck's advice to wade. It's the best way to angle cast the holes and it's a relatively easy river to learn wading. Most of my fish are caught either casting directly upstream of my target and reeling back, or directly downstream and slowly reeling past the cover or over the hole. In my opinion the river looks prettier with low, clear water, but fishes better with higher flows and some color to it. Keep lure choices simple at first. The fish will hit just about anything and it depends on how deep the water is that you are fishing. But a simple jig/twister, Rapala, and square bill crank bait will tempt whatever is in that river. I've fished all the spots you've mentioned and all can produce at times, depending on flows. Sorry to be vague but there are good fish all the way from McDowell to the confluence on the west branch. They move based on conditions so the keys are depth and clarity. If you have depths of about three feet with darker water, it's worth casting to cover in the area. Take notes of depth changes because a barren spot in low water may hold fish after the river comes up from a good rainfall.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:18pm - Oct 26,18 
Once you start wading, you will be more appreciative of how the river changes. It's bed can go from silty mud to 8" boulders (ankle sprainers) to shale (like at Knoch Knolls). From ankle deep to waist deep on the same day depending upon where you are. Then, you will notice the good population of crayfish; in some areas almost under every other rock. It really becomes more fun as you can hunt the fish.
And, by wading, you will lose less equipment since you can walk to that snagged crankbait. I hate to see a $5 popper of mine hung up and I cannot imagine the cost of those Rapalas and other baits the spinning guys throw. So, there is some financial payback!

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: