Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:05am - Oct 7,18 
But still some fish to catch. I started a two week stay-at-home vacation on Friday. Truth be told, I targeted the middle of October back in April for my time off from work specifically to fish the Des Plaines river. This time of year has been my favorite time to target that river for seven or eight seasons now. But the rapidly rising water made wading that river impossible. So I started my fishing vacation on the Dupage. Before the rains, I was catching largemouth and crappie in slack water. This is the most consistent time of year for crappie for me on the Dupe.

The low water required very light jigs and smaller grubs to stay out of the snags. Then the rain came in and radically changed the conditions. Saturday resulted in a six pack of small to medium sized smallmouth. I've found the day after rapidly rising water is when they turn on. It seems like they need a day to set themselves when flows shoot up. But Sunday was a bonanza, resulting in two dozen bass and much better size. Got a decent largemouth, much more rare in this section of the river, and smallmouth on consecutive casts off the same spot.

Bigger and heavier presentations are required in these conditions. I had a 3/4 oz jig with a 4" BPS Speed Shad in shad.

If you can find a pocket that is holding fish they are stacked right now. I basically bounced between three holes picking up fish in one spot until action slowed, moved to the next two to pick them clean, then returned to the first to find it recharged with biters.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:19am - Oct 7,18 
Nice fish, Dog! You are dialed in during tough river conditions. Were the fish holding near the banks in these 3 holes?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:21am - Oct 7,18 
Yeah I was shore fishing for the most part, although I trekked out onto a shallow rock bar briefly. They weren't right next to shore exactly. Kind of the outside seam, and still relating to the fast stuff.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:49pm - Oct 7,18 
I did pretty good this weekend as well. There is still a lot of junk flowing downstream, makes it hard to get a clean retrieve. I appreciate you guys keeping the dupage forum current. Too many of the other sections don't get new reports at all.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:52pm - Oct 8,18 
Great report, Dog, and a welcome one during this lull in reporting. I've been hoping you would run into some Trout again this fall like you were in the spring. Those guys probably remember you and stay away, lol.

Always a pleasure reading about your adventures in the river systems. Thanks!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:37pm - Oct 8,18 
Glad you enjoyed! Yeah, I think the trout thing was a one year fluke unfortunately. I haven't seen one since mid-April. On the one hand a real pity. On the other hand, I didn't think I'd ever be catching trout on the Dupage so I can consider my self blessed to have experienced it all.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:57pm - Oct 8,18 
You gotta be there putting in the effort to get lucky like that, and you seem to be consistent in doing that. I haven't heard anyone else that reported catching Trout in the Dupe, so kudos to you!

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: