Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:24am - Aug 11,18 
With that last rain, I was hoping that the river would get a little life into it with some fresh water. The previous day, I wiped down the fly line, added a new tippett and re-tied the black Boogle Bug popper. All set. I did not want to waste my efforts so I hit the west branch abut 5:30 but at a different hole farther downstream. The fish like that popper if I let it drift with the current (got to practice mending the line as well as roll casts). Of course, the bluegills had to hit it before any decent sized smallie would come along. But it kept me active.
Casting a little farther downstream versus along the bank (where the bluegills were), I latched onto a nice sized (over 12" but let's call it that) which gave me a good fight (current helped it) before bringing it to hand. A fight unsettles the pool for a good 10 minutes. So, some casts later and I get another about the same size. A 3rd smallie hits but I lose him after a few seconds.
With that action, the pool quiets down so I move upstream. Nada in my usual place. Nothing else to do so I examine the river bed and what was sandy has turned into a few inches of mud. In a week; shows me how the river changes as well as fish movement. Tried a bugger....no dice.
7:00 and my knees are killing me and I am thinking of walking the dog @9:30 so I trudge back to the car. A so-so outing.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:29am - Aug 11,18 
Should have added one thing. While cleaning the line and adding a new tippett, I thought I would be smart and add about 5 feet of 3X so I need not re-tie when the tippett gets too short. Boy, did that make my casting ugly. Snce there was more tippett and leader (think about 12 ft), I had no line to cast and you know how that fly came down. So, after 10 or so casts, I cut off 2 feet of tippett and the casting was improved by a magnitude. I could cast 40 feet with no problems and land that popper softly.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:15pm - Aug 12,18 
The ever-changing river makes it a constantly evolving challenge. Keeps it interesting. Nice outing on the fly chuck.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:13pm - Aug 13,18 
Yesterday evening was so nice that I set out to duplicate what I did on the 10th. It was so nice that guys had beaten to the spot to which I was wading so, honoring them, I decided to walk farther upstream only to meet a father and sons (with fly rods) walking downstream. We exchanged pleasantries and intel. Nowhere to go but up. So upstream I waded to a set of riffles and pitched the black Boogle Bug to a spot usually holding a smallie. It did and I landed one who hit on my first cast. Upstream, a fish was working the water behind some rocks so I shot the bug there and landed a really nice bluegill (with the orange belly). That was it so I decided to go downstream of which the fishers moved on. Took nothing but a few bluegill but was disconcerted because saw a nice sized smallie just cruising upstream so I know that they were there but not taking what I had to offer. Changed to a wooly bugger which yielded nothing.
The water is slow and very clear and the weather was great and the bugs were taking a vacation making the evening enjoyable just to be on the water.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: