Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:01am - Aug 8,18 
Originally had plans to drive further to another river but had to have the kids to school for registration fairly early in the morning. It's that time of year again. Decided to hit three spots on the east branch instead as it would keep me close to home. Kept it simple with Gulp minnows on a 1/16th or 1/8th oz jig. The rain had the flows up a bit and the clarity down. Spot A produced four largemouths with a couple dandies. Also lost a good smallie on a jump.

Spot B resulted in another largemouth and the only landed smallmouth of the morning, a long but thin fish. Very dark too.

Went 0 for 1 at Spot C but the hole produced the pleasant surprise of the morning. Hooked into a rather stout channel catfish, I'd say about 5 lbs. But I hooked it from shore while standing on a steep ledge. While trying to figure out how I was going to hoist the fish up the sheer face with my med light bass set up, it unhooked itself with its wild thrashing. A very healthy-looking fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:05pm - Aug 8,18 
Nice job jmdog. I finally got serious about fishing the East Branch this summer. I found a couple of nice pools that hold some decent numbers of 10 to 14 inch smallmouth and largemouth bass. I’ve been having good luck using a chartreuse and yellow Clouser minnnow with a six wt fly rod. I’m still in the learning phase right now as I need to explore other areas and see what other flies work besides the chartreuse and yellow Clouser minnow.
I’d like to put up a few reports but, as of this time I cannot post any pictures. I’ve uploaded pictures to the photo album but cannot post them. It’s probably because I haven’t posted enough on this site yet.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:34pm - Aug 8,18 
jmdog, beautiful fish! Thanks for the report. I'm planning to go out tomorrow (if my back agrees!!). Not wading though, will be fishing from shore and fighting the vegetation.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:53pm - Aug 8,18 
I fished the east branch for carp on the fly on Sunday. My buddy got a nice one and I was stuck catching a ton of largemouth, boo-boo!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:11pm - Aug 8,18 
Uhoh....fish beware. Jmdog is prowling the DuPage River.
Nice going jmdog; you never fail to get them to bite.
Yes, the river really needed that rain.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: