Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:40pm - Jul 19,18 
After not getting a chance to hit the river for almost a year, with a 6 Day Weekend/Vacation, I was able to get out and enjoy it in my new kayak today. Felt good to be back at it.

Hit the Dupage River today from 10AM until around 6PM. Fished the area South of Caton Farm Road (Kayak Launch), up until the bridge at Rt 59 (North of Caton Farm Road). With the wind blowing me up current, I was able to stay almost stationary if needed. This made the trip an easy paddle/pedal which let me stay out much longer and really enjoy the time.

Some River Info (Via NOAA Hydro - Shorewood Level). I think I'll add this anytime I post in the future for anyone looking to get an idea of how the river will look/move.

Depth: 2.23 FT
Flow: .253 - .248 kcfs
How'd It Look: Water was gin clear and moving at the perfect speed for both kayaking and floating. Kayaking up river was a breeze and I was able to see the bottom in a very large area around the kayak. Good day to check out the river and see where the deep holes/areas are. In some places, it actually was so shallow I almost had to walk the kayak.

As far as catching goes, I was able to successfully land around 10 - 12 fish with around the same amount in missed bites and thrown hooks. Surprise of the day was a fat 2/3lb Largemouth which came out from under the RT 59 Bridge. The lures of the day were (In no order):

1. Bitsy Bug Jig (Green) with a Bitsy Crawfish Trailer
2. Black Jig with Pumpkinseed Grub
3. Shad Color Bass Assassin which was dead drifted.

First time throwing a Bass Assassin in the Dupage. Was pleasantly surprised with the results. I threw this later in the day and it got me some nice bites after the fish became more picky as the sun got higher/hotter. Took a little bit to get used to dead drifting it but once i got an idea of what to do, everything got better.

One thing I did make a note of is I want to try to throw some live bait around the wood piles on this stretch. In this area, with the water at this level, many of the fish seen/caught were close to or on the piles, would like to see what else is lurking under the piles.

All in all, a great day. Hopefully this rain the next two days doesn't mess the river up too bad and I get one more shot on Monday/Tuesday.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:56am - Jul 20,18 
Nice report. What info can you share about your kayak? Thanks.

Bob P.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:04pm - Jul 20,18 
Very well written report with a lot of info. You had a great day. I see many more kayaking fishermen on the duper and they all seem to be enjoying themselves.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:35pm - Jul 20,18 
Thanks for the replies you two.

Bob: Currently, I am getting used to my new kayak which is a Perception Pilot 12. I had an older perception kayak (RIP Anchor Trolley Line) but I decided to make the jump to a pedal drive and keep the paddle one only as a backup/wife (when she wants to come with)/friend kayak.

Below is a stock example of the Kayak and the Pedal Drive:

Overall, for anyone who is interested in purchasing a kayak to fish off, I would absolutely recommend this kayak. More importantly, I would advise anyone who is able to, purchase a pedal driven model. It makes trips so much easier. I can cruise at a good pace (2-3MPH) with minimal effort and could probably continue for an extremely long duration if needed. In regards to traveling against a current, it is a night and day difference in both speed and ability to maneuver/fish. The price can be high for a kayak but when the wife was confronted with this or a regular boat, it was quickly approved. With the Pilot, it has, in my opinion, two major advantages versus competitors/paddle only kayaks (Other than being much faster).

1. The pedal drive, which is seen in the picture, has a draft of around 14-16 inches fully lowered. This allows me to travel on most of the rivers around the area, even when they are low. The most important thing is the fact that the pedal drive on this kayak has two positions. The first is the operating position, which is shown in the lower image of the kayak. The second is the travel/low water position. This pedal drive has the ability to be moved to be flush with the bottom hull of the kayak. This allows me to still have the ability to paddle and float in mere inches of water when the water gets super shallow. In my opinion, this is the best feature of this kayak and allows me to really push into areas some with similar kayaks can't reach!

2. Rudder, Rudder, Rudder! The kayak also has a rudder which is connected via a control to the left of the included seat. The rudder is great and keeps the kayak tracking almost perfectly straight when pedaling. As an example, I had stopped at a brush pile to fish while out yesterday. While I was facing into the current, and with the rudder down and the wind pushing at my back, I stayed stationary for almost 5-10 minutes and had to adjust the direction only once. The rudder also can be brought up as seen in the lower picture to be out of the water in case of shallow areas.

Fully loaded, the kayak weighs in at 85LBS but without the pedal drive, I believe it is around 70/75. I have not weighed it however so do not take this as truth. A kayak cart is a must for any long pulls if you don't want to damage the hull.

Hope this give some info for you Bob. If you have any other questions, post away or PM me!

Chuckt: It really was an awesome day, hopefully the weather cooperates Monday for another trip. I'm looking to do some pond hopping tomorrow morning if there is any break in the weather as well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:16pm - Jul 21,18 
That is a neat boat! And it weighing only 85lbs makes it easy to tote and transport. Well, I will need to keep a look out for you now that I know what your boat looks like.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:09pm - Jul 23,18 
Dang sounds like a blast! Must admit, I'm a little jealous :)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:37pm - Jul 23,18 
Puregerman55 wrote:
Thanks for the replies you two.

Bob: Currently, I am getting used to my new kayak which is a Perception Pilot 12. I had an older perception kayak (RIP Anchor Trolley Line) but I decided to make the jump to a pedal drive and keep the paddle one only as a backup/wife (when she wants to come with)/friend kayak.

Below is a stock example of the Kayak and the Pedal Drive:

Overall, for anyone who is interested in purchasing a kayak to fish off, I would absolutely recommend this kayak. More importantly, I would advise anyone who is able to, purchase a pedal driven model. It makes trips so much easier. I can cruise at a good pace (2-3MPH) with minimal effort and could probably continue for an extremely long duration if needed. In regards to traveling against a current, it is a night and day difference in both speed and ability to maneuver/fish. The price can be high for a kayak but when the wife was confronted with this or a regular boat, it was quickly approved. With the Pilot, it has, in my opinion, two major advantages versus competitors/paddle only kayaks (Other than being much faster).

1. The pedal drive, which is seen in the picture, has a draft of around 14-16 inches fully lowered. This allows me to travel on most of the rivers around the area, even when they are low. The most important thing is the fact that the pedal drive on this kayak has two positions. The first is the operating position, which is shown in the lower image of the kayak. The second is the travel/low water position. This pedal drive has the ability to be moved to be flush with the bottom hull of the kayak. This allows me to still have the ability to paddle and float in mere inches of water when the water gets super shallow. In my opinion, this is the best feature of this kayak and allows me to really push into areas some with similar kayaks can't reach!

2. Rudder, Rudder, Rudder! The kayak also has a rudder which is connected via a control to the left of the included seat. The rudder is great and keeps the kayak tracking almost perfectly straight when pedaling. As an example, I had stopped at a brush pile to fish while out yesterday. While I was facing into the current, and with the rudder down and the wind pushing at my back, I stayed stationary for almost 5-10 minutes and had to adjust the direction only once. The rudder also can be brought up as seen in the lower picture to be out of the water in case of shallow areas.

Fully loaded, the kayak weighs in at 85LBS but without the pedal drive, I believe it is around 70/75. I have not weighed it however so do not take this as truth. A kayak cart is a must for any long pulls if you don't want to damage the hull.

Hope this give some info for you Bob. If you have any other questions, post away or PM me!

Chuckt: It really was an awesome day, hopefully the weather cooperates Monday for another trip. I'm looking to do some pond hopping tomorrow morning if there is any break in the weather as well.

Great info !! Thanks !

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:53pm - Jul 31,18 
Back from vacation, now I need another vacation.....Chuck, nice report and sweet kayak german!! Cheers.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: