Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:37pm - Jul 26,18 
Evening on the west branch with the 3wt fly rod. In my past posts, I have been lamenting why I am not hooking up with the larger smallies in the river. Well, it seems that I had the right combination, yesterday. The river is low and slow which has forced the fish to pool in th deeper spots. I started with an autumn bugger and latched onto 2 smallmouth of which both looked over 12" on my first 5 casts. Instead of pulling it in like it was swimming, they preferred that I cast slightly upriver and let it float with the current. I kept a line just tight enough to allow the free movement. Doing this, I caught one mre smallmouth before the action stopped. So, I moved downstream.
At the next pool, the hits were spotty but I was catching rockbass (about a 1/2 dozen) and the usual small bluegill. But no excitement.
It was a tad after 7 and the river was quiet so I tied on a black Boogle Bug. And the fun began. With the bugger, I was casting upstream and allowing it to float past this log in the river but was not getting a bite. The spot looked good.
Rule #1. Give the fish what they want. I tied on the Bug and cast it by the log and BAM! A very large bluegill ( an orange belly; is it a hybrid) literally came out of the water and was a\ fun on the 3wt. Fought it, landed it, let it go. About 2 more casts in the area and another big hit and a nice sized (at least 14" ) hits it and off we go as it heads into the pool. Jumps twice, I grab it on the jaw and it bites down. I finally unhook it and let it go. Some more bluegill and larger rockbass and one more decent smallmouth (like the first in size).
You know, there are not many places to exit the river so I walk upstream since it is 8:15 and the knees call the shots. But I cannot resist going back to the first spot to use the Bug. One more cast, I promise (turns out to be 6) and I get a hit, some fight and the fish gets off (that's okay since I am going anyway).
So, rules apply.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:11pm - Jul 26,18 
Sounds like a good time chuck. Good to see you keeping the Dupe forum churning with reports. :gpost

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:51pm - Jul 30,18 
The river can really change. A little lower and slower than the 25th, Saturday was, and what worked on the 25th got me only a few small fish. I was amused by the kayakers as they ran aground and had to portage over the ankle deep spots. While fishing one hole, a few well mannered boys canoed (and were fishing) by going behind me and not through the pool. We chatted and I told them about other pools downriver and what (black topwater) had worked for me on the 25th and the good spots. Heck, I am out for fun so if they catch and I don't..that's okay.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:08am - Jul 31,18 
Chuck, and that's the way it should be.
Bob M.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: