Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:41pm - Apr 26,18 
After many years of fishing the Kank. and several creeks in southern Will county, i now find myself having to learn a new stream. As i now live about a 5 minute drive from the Dupage River. Went out early this afternoon for about 2+ hrs. Air temp was approaching 65 with some scattered high stratus clouds at times breaking the afternoon sun a bit. Threw a 4" Cabin Creek tube on a 1/16th oz. bullet style weighted hook rigged Texas style to typical holding spots. Managed only 1, but wow , it was perhaps the best looking smallie i've ever caught. She was pushing 17" loaded with eggs to the point where she looked like she could explode. If we get a week of some warm temps, i think the spawn will be on. This fish was just stunning in appearance. Unfortunately, no pics. Don't think i've ever(or rarely ) caught one with such distinctive coloring. In a word, i was quite stunned.

The bad part of the day was the fact that i was getting fouled on nearly every cast. Very, very , frustrating. Anyone here have any suggestions about this? As in how to avoid or at least reduce this? Is this typical on the Dupage this early in the season? How bad does it get as the year progresses?

Thanks,

Bob P.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:31am - Apr 27,18 
Im new to it also but live in warrenville. Loooking for any help too

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:30am - Apr 27,18 
Bob P - assume you are talking about the filamentous algae covering the bottom and possibly floating through the water column. If so then yes this is typical of the Dupe. The algae comes every year. From what I've observed timing depends on water clarity, water temp and maybe available daylight? There have been high water springs in which it wasn't able to get as well established. There have also been low water warm springs in which the algae started in March. Typically its early to mid April.

The only way to avoid is to not fish this time of year. Once the eel grass comes in (May/June depending again on water clarity etc.) it will displace a lot of the algae. Then however, you have to deal with the eel grass which gets quite thick!

Both the algae and eel grass give the little critters the bass feed on plenty of places to hide so they are mostly a good thing; except when the algae has a big die off and removes oxygen from the water.

Good luck :)

"long days and pleasant nights"

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:54am - Apr 27,18 
Kev-mo wrote:
Bob P - assume you are talking about the filamentous algae covering the bottom and possibly floating through the water column. If so then yes this is typical of the Dupe. The algae comes every year. From what I've observed timing depends on water clarity, water temp and maybe available daylight? There have been high water springs in which it wasn't able to get as well established. There have also been low water warm springs in which the algae started in March. Typically its early to mid April.

The only way to avoid is to not fish this time of year. Once the eel grass comes in (May/June depending again on water clarity etc.) it will displace a lot of the algae. Then however, you have to deal with the eel grass which gets quite thick!

Both the algae and eel grass give the little critters the bass feed on plenty of places to hide so they are mostly a good thing; except when the algae has a big die off and removes oxygen from the water.

Good luck :)

Kev,
Yes i was. Thanks for the tips. Is this more prevalent in shallower water areas? Seems as though it would be. Also, what basic tactic do you use once the eel grass comes in? Used to experience this on the Kank, but typically it was later in the year. Thanks!

Bob P.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:12pm - Apr 27,18 
Bob,

Its both shallow and deep (in my experience). I haven't fished the dupe much in the summer the last 5 years or so as I just got tired of dealing with the grass. With that said... I can honestly say I've fished the same stuff in the summer as in the spring/fall (with the exception of jerkbaits) and still caught fish. A boat would be best in the summer as the grass is just a "b" to wade through. There are grass free lanes but that is usually the faster water and again requires more work to wade through. I'm not opposed to working for my fish or walking 4 or 5 miles in a day but got tired of expending unnecessary energy.

Whatever worked in the Kank under those conditions would work here. The water can get ultra clear once the grass is established and starts filtering all the turbidity out. The first time I waded the Dupe I walked through a 4 foot plus "hole" with the water kissing the top of my waders and I could see 3-4 inch smallies down at my feet. I wonder if those fish feed at night in the summer...

Oh btw I think the sheer volume of eel grass raises the water level. Kind of like dropping stones in a glass of water.

"long days and pleasant nights"

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: