Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:11pm - Apr 3,18 
I live in Lombard, can I wade in the Dupage from churchill woods south? Thanks, Mops

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:01am - Apr 4,18 
Are you asking a permission question or are you asking if the east branch is wadeable in that area?

I've never had an issue wading rivers in the forest preserves. I've never waded the EB in that area so can't comment on that. I've heard it's muddier up there but that doesn't mean there isn't a gravel bottom.

"long days and pleasant nights"

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:11am - Apr 4,18 
I've never had good luck wading the East Branch because it is so muddy. I do know plenty of guys that say they wade the East Branch; however, with alot of success.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:09pm - Apr 4,18 
I suppose it was a question of legality. I know the river runs through some private area's. The right question would have been is it legal to wade in that stretch of river, and if so has anyone had any luck there? Thanks, Mops

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:06pm - Apr 9,18 
if its not a part of a preserve its privately owned and you will be trespassing if wading.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:31pm - Apr 9,18 
I always thought as long as you were in the water you were OK?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:32pm - Apr 9,18 
team danjer wrote:
I always thought as long as you were in the water you were OK?

I believe that is only in navigable waters? There is a lot of grey area from what I've read about this topic.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:26pm - Apr 9,18 
Yeah I don't know that area too well so I'm don't know about the right to wade there. I've heard so much back and forth on wading in the Dupe that it's tough to gauge what is accurate. On the one hand I've heard the entire river is technically "navigable", which then by law should make it wadeable. Then on the other hand I've heard of no wading stretches in forest preserves and most notably, downtown Naperville. In my not-so-expert law opinion, the Naperville regulation isn't legal. I've seen plenty of float tubes and kayaks traversing that stretch. I get why they don't want people wading there, but I don't think they should be able to legally enforce it. Then again, you'll have to beat them in court. I can say that I have waded from Lombard to the confluence on the east branch, and Warrenville to the confluence on the west branch, and well down into the main stem, and never had anyone say a single word to me about it. I haven't even tested the downtown Naperville issue. Plenty of good water to be had away from that area.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:34pm - Apr 9,18 
jmdog wrote:
Yeah I don't know that area too well so I'm don't know about the right to wade there. I've heard so much back and forth on wading in the Dupe that it's tough to gauge what is accurate. On the one hand I've heard the entire river is technically "navigable", which then by law should make it wadeable. Then on the other hand I've heard of no wading stretches in forest preserves and most notably, downtown Naperville. In my not-so-expert law opinion, the Naperville regulation isn't legal. I've seen plenty of float tubes and kayaks traversing that stretch. I get why they don't want people wading there, but I don't think they should be able to legally enforce it. Then again, you'll have to beat them in court. I can say that I have waded from Lombard to the confluence on the east branch, and Warrenville to the confluence on the west branch, and well down into the main stem, and never had anyone say a single word to me about it. I haven't even tested the downtown Naperville issue. Plenty of good water to be had away from that area.

Here's a direct source for an answer to the Naperville area:

The Great One wrote:
Kev-mo wrote:
I don't think Naperville allows wading at the river walk. Perhaps you weren't wading... perhaps things have changed... just something to maybe look into.

Not true. Wading is permitted as long as you are fishing....

https://patch.com/illinois/naperville/2 ... k-district

At the bottom of the page posted above is a link to all ordinances in effect in regards to Naperville's parks. Look under "swimming" on page 19 of ordnance list. "Fishing" is also specifically addressed in several places in the above link. Check it out if you fish in the area.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:02pm - Apr 22,18 
I'm in Lombard, too. I haven't waded Churchill, but the preserve area south of crescent off of the prairie path is probably ok to try. Hopefully it's a little better than in the preserve. There are great spots in town, but for wading i usually go out to the West Branch and do pretty well. Nice solid bottom, clean and plenty to catch.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: