Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:06pm - Jul 29,17 
Are here again. New waders from Orvis (they replaced my leakers gratis) so no wet socks and legs. I went out, this evening, with the 3wt fly rod and managed to bring a few really nice smallmouth to hand (never carry a net but should) and one largemouth in the same size range (about 14" or a little more). The river is lower and the flow just right for my arthritic knees. I think it was about 6pm when the hits started happening. Even caught some nice sized bluegill that hit the wooly bugger.
I still think that I am not getting the bugger deep enough in some of the deepest holes which is why I am fishing but not catching.
I did some Tenkara with the fly rod due to the spot I wanted to hit and no back cast room (you spinning guys don't have this problem) and it was under an overhanging tree. So, I just adapted the rod and started to catch rock bass; about a 1/2 dozen before moving on.
Only bad thing is that my left Korkers boot came apart at the junction of the glued side to the sole. But, being a practical guy, I kept (and it happened to be a left boot) a boot from my previous Korkers pair. So, I am still in the game.

Kayakers were out in force but polite and went around me rather than over me. A beautiful evening on the river.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:11am - Jul 30,17 
Nice trip and I sympathize with you on the knees .

Adapt, overcome. improvise

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:14am - Jul 31,17 
My son and I hit the same spot, yesterday evening, and the river did not give up anything other than small fish. Again, we both used fly rods and wooly buggers. But the river was inches lower and slower than the previous evening as I recounted in this thread. Not much to say except that the evening was nice and Pete was fishing rather than working. I think that the next time we go out together, I will test my theory about fly presentation by either he or I using a spinning set up with a white grub or Chompers worm to determine that the bigger fish are there just not taking the wooly buggers.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:09pm - Aug 4,17 
I'd pass up work to have an evening like that 100 out of 100 times.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:24pm - Aug 4,17 
You are known, jmdog. My son, who is not a member but reads the site, comments on your expertise and knowledge. He often praises you when we talk.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:21am - Aug 6,17 
:D I just try to contribute to the forums that gave me so much info when I was learning.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: