Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:21pm - Jul 10,17 
I took the 3wt fly rod out for the evening just south of 75th street and worked myself south hitting what I thought were deeper spots holding fish. The early part of the evening was uninteresting and I found myself taking bluegills off the hook. Maybe the small bugger was up their alley and they hit before any larger, more discerning fish could take it. Sometimes, I wonder that when the bluegills are present, the big fish are not (sort of like those movies of the reefs and the small fish disappear when a shark arrives). If I did catch a smallmouth, it was in the backwater immediately downstream of rippes and current.
So, the evening passed when I must have snagged a carp (it really must have been asleep along the bank) which decided to just take line like I had my Labrador on the other end. It swam toward the bank whereupon it caught the line on a sunken branch and it got loose. It was a nice 30 seconds to over a minute with me playing and thinking if I should start walking with it as the carp swam. That rod was really bent.
Afterwards, a little more downstream, I happened to meet a guy, Mike, who also fly fishes the Duper (comes out all the way from Chicago) and we traded pleasantries. We talked as we waded until I came to a spot which usually holds a smallmouth or two in the shallower, more rapid water. Sure enough, before heading home, I got about a 10 inch.
Then, it was time to get to the car and see how much water was in my waders. While awaiting the repair of my Orvis Encounters, I pulled out my Hodgson's which ae the first pair I ever owned. Peoudly, I can say that I lost enough weight that they fit again albeit, they also reminded me why I purchased the Orvis's----holes. So, I haves ome patching to do.
It is a pretty river when it is clear and lower.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:07pm - Jul 13,17 
Chuck, love to hear your posts and stories. Nicely told as usual! Cheers.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:09pm - Jul 15,17 
Wonderful weather and I am without my waders. Awaiting those that I sent to Orvis for repair and the Hodgson's (although I can fit in them) are leaking like a sieve and it is not from ondividual holes but from the fabric itself. I wonder what the lifespan of Breathables is. I just need to find spots in which to shore fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:33pm - Jul 16,17 
Nice report, chuckt!

I agree with you regarding the panfish statement!

I'm hoping to get out there soon (mostly likely when the kids are back in school) maybe we'll bump into each other....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:30pm - Jul 16,17 
The life span of my breathables is usually a year . Then again , I live in the things year round . 250 or so trips in all conditions busting brush and living in the trunk is more than what the manufacturers envision . That is what a tackle rep from one of the better known companies told me back in the day when such guys were common . He said they envision a guy back packing the waders up to a freestone stream and wading on gravel or small rocks in knee deep water .

Adapt, overcome. improvise

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:19pm - Jul 17,17 
Upon googling the subject of repairing waders, I came across a product, McNett Revive Spray On Water Repellent. Looking at the site, it advertises the re-conditioning of waders as one use. So, I am going to get a can and do the Hodgson's. Can't hurt to try.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:03pm - Jul 17,17 
let me know how it works

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:26pm - Jul 18,17 
Darn. I just noticed, from my other replies, that Orvis has had my waders for about 18 days. I don't thik that they needed that much gluing! Well, it was a busy week with my son's daughter's baptism and my daughter and son-in-law and son visiting from Texas (boy, they loved our past cool days) so I could not use them anyways. I just want to get in some fishing before jmdog puts a hook into every smallmouth in the DuPage.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:00pm - Jul 19,17 
Argh, yeah I just trashed my waders. I have a back up pair that are leaking that I'll have to use while I check out some new ones. I'm on vacation so I plan on fishing the Dupe at some point. Hopefully I can post a report or two. The other rivers are horrendously blown out so it's the Dupage or lake/pond fishing.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:33am - Jul 20,17 
if you know where the leaks are patch with aquaseal

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: