Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:10pm - Nov 17,16 
A nice day so I donned the waders and grabbed the ultralight. Since the water is low, I searched for pools where the fish might hold. Boy, the water was cold. For a fellow with arthritic knees, this did feel good since it numbed the joints. That said, I hit the water @2pm and, using a white grub with a small split shot forward about 4", I got 3 smallmouth to hit which were about 16" and relatively chunky. Then, a carp, about 2 feet long, took the grub and I had a great time having him run all over the pool before being beached. I think the cold water really affects the fishes' fighting since that carp, in warm water, would have given me twice the fight. Well, that was the good luck.
Then, I moved downstream, caught 3 smaller smallmouth and managed to lose 3 grubs with associated #4 hooks and split shots. With the last snag, I somehow got the line wedged under the spool so, since the sun was going down, I decided to cut my losses and head home.
They are still biting, guys.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:10am - Nov 18,16 
I found that the best presentation was to let the current carry the grub into the eddies and pools rather than aggressively jigging it along the bottom or making it swim. Even the smallmouth bites were more of a nonchalant pull than the usual strike. Caught a lot of weeds too.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:45pm - Nov 18,16 
Good to see you still out there putting a hurtin' on 'em chuck. Won't be long before trudging through snow drifts makes it too much of a hassle.

Board index » Rivers » Dupage
Jump to: