Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:56am - Jun 2,18 
Well , As had been mentioned in my previous " Goodyear Trailer Tires " post , I am getting little to NO help from Goodyear or Dealerships . NOW I am thinking of changing both tires to a different brand . I need ST185 / 80 R13 tires for my ShorlandR trailer . I would consider a heavier load range now . I believe I have C range , and would consider D range .

Any input would be appreciated ,,,, Thanks .

Walldady

PS . I have owned both Radial and Bias Ply tires . I believe that I have had LESS issues with the Bias Ply Tires . Experiences ?????

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:33am - Jun 2,18 
Just went on the Goodyear web site and they do NOT list ANY 13" trailer tires. Found this tire from etrailer.com
https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Whee ... 10210.html

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:39am - Jun 2,18 
Just went on the Goodyear web site and they do NOT list ANY 13" trailer tires. Found this tire from etrailer.com an ST175/80R13

Here's a bias ply ST185/8013 https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Whee ... 1ST79.html

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:19pm - Jun 2,18 
Radial tires are an all around better tire. Bias ply run hotter, arent as strong,have a smaller footprint, and have shorter tread life. Also you'll notice they cost less too. Only real advantage of Bias tires is the sidewalls are thicker but that means stiffer ride too so not much of a advantage. Whatever you choose do not mix and match them on same trailer.

Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 10 gen2
Simrad Is40
sonarhub
Lowrance point 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 High Seas quad rod trees
4 Bert's ratcheting rod holders

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:58pm - Jun 2,18 
Do your own research. Carlisle Radial HD or Trailer King II Radial or even Goodyear Endurance...

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:13pm - Jun 2,18 
https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-122 ... dial-m8008

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:34pm - Jun 2,18 
Grandslam99 wrote:
Just went on the Goodyear web site and they do NOT list ANY 13" trailer tires. Found this tire from etrailer.com an ST175/80R13

Here's a bias ply ST185/8013 https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Whee ... 1ST79.html

I have found ALL BRANDS of tires . I was asking ,,, personal preference . The ONLY place that I have a HARD TIME finding , my tires , is on the GOODYEAR site ,,,,, It stinks ,,, I can find my tires , all over ,,, NOT HAPPY with GOODYEAR ,,, right now ,,,

STILL LOOKIN ,,,

Walldady

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:32am - Jun 3,18 
Walldaddy you can get 18580R13 STR load C Towmax II TRAILER TIRES from Tire Rack.com in Indiana delivered in 3 days to you ,or one of their authorized installation facilities ,for appx. $58 each . includes shipping and no tax if they are shipped to Illinois ! Only thing you need to pay for is a new valve stem, mounting onto the rim, and balancing , if you so desire ! Disposal of old tires is extra, or check with your village first, as some will dispose up to 4 at no cost to You !!

A trailer tire " STR " designated after the size on sidewall , means rubber compound used for tire, is designed to handle more heat build up then a regular automobile tire ! Remember the revolutions per mile are much higher on 13 inch tires, versus 16-18 inch tires on tow vehicle ! Hence the extra heat build up ! Fill the trailer tires to max air pressure stamped on sidewall of tire, to give better rolling resistance, and less heat build up !

I worked for Goodyear retail for over 30 years, and i am retired now. Too bad Goodyear got out of this market segment of boat trailer tires, but it is what it is ! Hope this helps you better understand trailer tire nomenclature !

FYI : I would store boat trailer over winter with wheels off the ground , to minimize sidewall cracking !

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:00am - Jun 3,18 
Walldady

We understand your frustration.
The gang is just trying to help.

As said in the other post, the warranty idea and replacement 13" Goodyear tire chinese bombs, are a ship that has already sailed.

Single axles trailers are easily overloaded and have tire problems from loads and heat.
Rarely see a tandem axle trailer on the side of the road as the load is spread across 4 tires.

Best suggestion is a radial tire with D rating with highest load rating per tire you can find.

Take the tire load rating x 2 then subtract 10% for safety margin and happy trails towing.

Have any idea what your total boat /trailer weight is?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:36am - Jun 3,18 
I use kenda karrier loadstar radial tires on my 17ft shorelander. I have been very satified with them. No issues and if I remeber correctly during research at the time I found them to have very reliable reviews compared to goodyear. Normally I am a goodyear fan for truck tires but stayed away for the trailer.I bought the whole tire and rim mounted together. Shipped to my door and jack up trailer and replace in no time.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:49am - Jun 3,18 
THANKS ALL for the replies . Everyone has they're favorite Brand . I'll now have to choose , and shop for the best deal . I think I'm DONE with Goodyear .

Good Luck and Safe Trips ,,,,, Walldady

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:24am - Jun 3,18 
Walldady I've been running Loadstar ST185/80D13 Loadstar Trailer Tire Bias for years with No Problems. Both Long and Short trips.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:47pm - Jun 3,18 
WALDADY,

FYI: Remember Goodyear and all manufacturers, only produces tires they can make enough profit to pay for the molds, labor etc. Just like the motorcycle tires ,that we used to sell years ago ! When Goodyear stopped making Wide Whitewall tires 20 years ago , they alienated a huge market segment of the OLds and Buick full size car market share ! Vogue laughed all the way to the bank ! Now Goodyear only produces one whitewall 3/8 inch tire in the P22560r16 size ! They were probably told by the new car manufactures that hub caps were going bye bye , and mag wheels, were being ushered in, and would look best with blackwall & White Letter tires, for more profit per vehicle ! Whitewalls would look pretty stupid on todays sporty aluminum wheels !

Remember never buy a tire that is more than 2 years old , trailer , auto, suv, or truck tire ! Look at the last digit on the serial # as that is the year it was produced and the #'s before are the week of production ! Tire rubber compound starts to age the day they are made ! If they are stored in a hot , dry environment ,they will start cracking in storage in less than 2 years ! Make sure you see the serial # before they mount your tires , and if ends in less than #7 :noway don't buy it !

Board index » The Podium » Random Thoughts & General Banter
Jump to: