Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:09pm - May 9,18 
Hey guys I am thinking of trading in my 1500 for a 2500 turbo diesel. I have never owned a diesel before. How hard are they to start in the winter? Any other +/- to owning a diesel vs. gas? I found a beauty at the dealership by me that I am looking at but man do they cost some change! I tow my ranger and haul some wood and what not from time to time but thats about it. Do you think its worth it to upgrade to the 2500 diesel? It is a bad a$$ truck. looking for opinions. thanks!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:17pm - May 9,18 
A CLOSE FRIEND HAS ONE FOR PULLING HIS FIFTH WHEEL CAMPER. HE LOVES THE POWER AND GETS PRETTY GOOD FUEL MILAGE BUT THE COST TO MAINTAIN IT IS OUT OF SITE.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:41pm - May 9,18 
Duramax Deisel will last 300-400 thousand miles. They are incredible engines. If you buy a GM truck, get it undercoated. The big problem with GM trucks is rust

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:56am - May 10,18 
I own a 2016 Duramax awesome truck, I have all the emission crap and def fluid deleted runs like a top I get about 24mpg on the highway.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 04:58am - May 10,18 
I went the other way on the currant truck, last 5 trucks have be 5.3 gas. Went with the 4.3 V6 for the better fuel mileage. Figured the amount pulling the boat did not justify the bigger motor. The V6 I believe will tow up to 7500lbs. Son #1 has the big gas motor in his Chevy and it hauls his big camper very nice, but poor fuel economy.

Cost to buy, maintain a diesel is high. Check for places that will service them as well, because most place do not work on them.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:06am - May 10,18 
I am on my 3rd Diesel Suburban. I have 301,000 miles and runs great. Here is a sight that will help you get some answers about the GM diesels. http://www.thedieselpageforums.com

Semper Fidelis
and
God Bless America

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 08:49am - May 10,18 
Diesel does have a "Cool" factor. I always wanted a diesel but when it comes down to it everything about diesel is expensive. Truck is way more, need DEF, More maintenance, Fuel costs more. On the Fords your fuel tank is smaller because of the space the DEF tank needs. In the end I went with a gasser and will likely do the same next time.

The argument that diesel lasts longer is kind of true but is that a big deal anymore? Any truck should be expected to get 200k miles and I wont likely keep one that long anyway. Also Again with at least the fords but I would expect the others are similar as well everything else about the truck is the same from most of the transmission to all the drivetrain so there is still plenty of components that will break not matter what engine you have.

Then you have the Do you really need it... If all you do is pull a Ranger and haul some wood a sensible person will say there is no need to go from a 1500 to 2500. the 2500 will suck a lot more fuel and ride will suck. Again we come back to the "Cool" Factor and a 1500 is not nearly as cool as a 2500. I don't think I could ever go back to a F150 from my F250.

I have a 250 gasser and its plenty powerful to pull my 13,000lb boat. towing my 23' 7,000lb boat I don't know its back there even going through small mountains. I did tow my big boat through mountains once and it did the job but a diesel would have been a better fit.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:06pm - May 10,18 
You have to look in the mirror and ask yourself, "What is most important to me both financially and emotionally" to make the decision.

If you have any current production diesel (or any motor for that matter) and have issues starting it (cold or not), there is a problem.

You can pull a trailer with a gas motor truck. With a diesel, its more that you have to keep reminding yourself you are pulling a trailer.

Some guys state the maintenance is more but I have not found that to be true, other than the cost of oil changes due to the volume of oil. If you do them yourself, it is probably 2.5x as much each oil change. My F350 diesel requires 3 gallons per oil change.

I buy a lot of trucks. I used to be a big GM fan but left them 4-5 years ago after getting tired of having the exact same problems on every truck, no matter the vintage. Broken door handles, tailgate handles, can't keep brakes in them, and transmission failures. I will say the problems were never with the motors, but all were gas.

My own personal trucks have been Fords for the last 2 that I have owned. F250 gas 4 door with a 6.5' bed prior, and now a F350 4 door 8' bed dually with the Powerstroke. With the F250 it was a love/hate relationship as I liked the truck interior and exterior, but hated the ride and the gutless fuel hog 5.4 Triton.

My 17 F350 has completely won me over for now and forever with the ride, interior comfort, looks, and the Powerstroke diesel. I will NEVER go back to gas, ever.

I have 22,000 miles on my truck now and it has been bulletproof.

I bought 7 new Ford trucks between Jan of 16 and Jan of 17. 2 were diesel. My only regret is I didn't buy all diesel.

One huge advantage to me is I set a 500 gallon storage tank and fill ups are something I don't think about any further. My truck has a 48 gallon tank which makes fill ups much farther apart.

No matter what be careful if you are looking at any used diesel. The market was full of mistakes on all manufactures models from 2012 or so to 2017. The requirements of the diesel particulate filters for emissions forced all the makers to dump unproven theory on the market. All who bought these trucks became the guinea pigs of the design development. Many designs didn't work well and there isn't much you can do to fix them.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:46pm - May 10,18 
Thanks for all the replies fellas, I really appreciate it and it definitely helps.

Board index » The Podium » Random Thoughts & General Banter
Jump to: