Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:01pm - May 4,18 
JOURNEY NORTH
Hummingbird Migration News: May 4, 2018 by Mary Hosier

RIDING THE WINDS

https://learner.org/jnorth/hummingbirds ... ding-winds

The Ruby-throat migration was given a huge push this week as southern winds sent birds north and east.

Heavy Migration

It was a fantastic week for Ruby-throated hummingbirds. Aided by strong southern winds first sightings were reported all the way north into Maine. Over 360 observers reported their first sightings, many from the leading edge of the migration in Minnesota, Vermont, Ontario, Ohio, Ontario, and Michigan.
“Watching the orioles fight over the hummingbird feeder when a Ruby-throat female dropped into the scene. Now they’re taking turns coming to the feeder. Yippee-!” Cleveland, Ohio on May 2nd.

Between the migration info in this week's Journey North update and the sightings on C.T.A., nothing but good news. Still, none in my back yard yet tho. I would guess that the Females will be arriving within a couple of weeks.

I'm gonna double my bet on Mother Nature...........Murph810

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:27pm - May 4,18 
Had 6 hanging around today

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:47pm - May 4,18 
At 3:01 I wrote:
Still, none in my back yard yet tho. I would guess that the Females will be arriving within a couple of weeks.

I'm gonna double my bet on Mother Nature...........Murph810

UPDATE:
At 4:31, we had our first Male sighting. Gonna let all bets ride for the whole season.........Murph810

Chitown-Angler

Location: Des Plaines, IL 185 Nitro, 150 Merc XR6, Silver/Green

Post Posted: 04:12pm - May 5,18 
No new Hummers, but the male Orioles seem to prefer the grape jelly to the old lady. For some reason there is two males and only one female, use to have mallard ducks with the same orientation years ago.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:23pm - May 9,18 
Had a hummer at my feeder today!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:45am - May 21,18 
Put up my feeder a week ago. I've had female hummingbirds visit every day since then including today which surprised me because of the rain. Hung some halves of navel oranges yesterday. We'll see if that brings the northern orioles.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:21pm - May 21,18 
Had 3 females and a male at my two feeders all at once over the weekend. They're in full swing. The little females were even bickering with each other and chasing each other off the feeders.

I've been consistently seeing the females for a week or so now.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:46pm - May 21,18 
Still waiting.

Ice Auger Blade Sharping

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:56am - May 22,18 
Most of mine seem to have moved on. We now only have 1 or2 around.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:49pm - May 22,18 
We have had more hummers in the last few weeks than the entire year over the last few years. Many have hung around the feeders for long durations at a time, like 15-20 minutes. One landed several times on the perch and then hung out on a nearby branch for a while.

Had an Oriole visit on Sunday.

Last week we had a Blue Bunting stop by. This is the first time i have ever seen one of these and was surprised when I looked up what it was that they are native to the area.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Indigo_Bunting/overview

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:53pm - May 22,18 
Windy City wrote:
We have had more hummers in the last few weeks than the entire year over the last few years. Many have hung around the feeders for long durations at a time, like 15-20 minutes. One landed several times on the perch and then hung out on a nearby branch for a while.

Had an Oriole visit on Sunday.

Last week we had a Blue Bunting stop by. This is the first time i have ever seen one of these and was surprised when I looked up what it was that they are native to the area.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Indigo_Bunting/overview

Yeah, I've had a lot of hummers so far this year. Last year I only had a couple of females hanging around through the entire summer. This year it seems like there's at least 5 or 6 females and a couple males. Can never tell if it's one male showing up or multiple at different times. Like I said earlier, I did have 3 females and a single male at my feeders at once this past weekend, so I know I have at least 4 hanging around. No orioles, though. My parents have had a couple orioles, but none by me. I have a thistle feeder too, so lots of goldfinches. Pretty little birds. Had 3 of them on the feeder at one time the other day. I also have a suet feeder, so lots of cardinals and chickadees, too.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:44am - May 23,18 
Just spotted a northern oriole on the orange!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:25pm - May 24,18 
Pic from today:

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:41pm - May 24,18 
Great Picture Windy. Still nothing in my yard yet, but my Clematis is about to bloom. That is the usual attractant. I see them more in that vine than I do the feeder.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:41pm - Aug 6,18 
You guys ever see a hummingbird moth? My wife and I put in a butterfly garden in the backyard last year and its been attracting monarchs, swallowtails, hummingbirds and hummingbird moths. Never saw one of those before. They are amazing creatures. They truly act and look like little hummingbirds!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:24pm - Aug 6,18 
Thanks for the ID,I saw one a couple weeks ago and didn't what the heck it was.After the big aerial dogfight last month only one of my hummers is coming in now.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:36pm - Sep 28,18 
LOL, now there are 4 of us posting to the 2017 thread. Hopefully this workaround gets us on the right track. (God knows Momma Tried)

FNG 1969 wrote:
Murph, have the little guyz left the local area, or am I wasting my time and sugar with the feeders still up?

Tom wrote:
FNG 1969 wrote:
Murph, have the little guyz left the local area, or am I wasting my time and sugar with the feeders still up?

Good question. I just had my trees, bushes and flowers trimmed for the fall, and the feeder is all mine are going to eat from now. I haven't seen anything since the trim.
Murph???? Counting on you for the info. :winker Tom

Murph810 wrote:
Yo Monk & Tom: Most of 'em will be gone by now, but if they ain't, don't worry. They use a milk run of flowers and feeders, Mother Nature and the sun's angle and light prompts their instinct to migrate South. 3 weeks ago our place was full of migrating Hummers for about 10-15 days. They're all gone now except for two males, the older one is still chasing the younger one off the feeders. Your birds may be spending more time on their other milk run locations. I'm guessing ours will be here for maybe another week.........Murph810

EDIT: Oops, the 3 of us posted these on the 2017 thread.

MikeF wrote:
As of yesterday, we still had 8-10 working the feeders.<br abp="833">Wife has had them on the crack mix (1.5-1) for about 3 weeks, so they have been very fat and happy. :lol: <br abp="834">They will probably push on down the line this weekend with the expected cold snap.<br abp="835"><br abp="836">Interesting surge of butterflies (mostly monarchs) the last few days.<br abp="837"><br abp="838">Had a huge rush of just about every variety about 3-4 weeks ago and just a few since.<br abp="839"><br abp="840"><br abp="841">Cold is on the way down.

A couple of answers from Hummingbird Journey North:

Q. What makes hummingbirds migrate?

Hummingbirds migrate in response to hormonal changes that are triggered by
changing length of daylight. Nothing people can do will make them stay too long
in fall, so it's not necessary to stop feeding them to force them to go south.

Mother Nature tells 'em when to come & go, and how much to eat. I have my wife to control ME at a buffet.........murph810

Q. Will keeping feeders up prevent hummingbirds from migrating on time?
No. The birds have an instinct to move with the maximum availability of natural food. The feeders do not entice them. If migrating birds could be easily enticed to stay for food, none of them would get anywhere because they would have the maximium food available right up until fall's first killing frost—when it would be too late for so many hummingbirds to be moving. Migration is an innate or instinctive behavior. Any hummingbirds that are stragglers are just not in condition to move when they should. They need your feeders in order to have the best chance at catching up. Keep your feeders up, clean and filled at least two weeks after you see your last hummingbird in order to help those stragglers.

I'LL POST THIS ON THE 2018 THREAD ALSO......Murph810

PS: We saw the older hummer this morning.........Murph910

Chitown-Angler

Location: Des Plaines, IL 185 Nitro, 150 Merc XR6, Silver/Green

Post Posted: 01:58pm - Sep 28,18 
Thanx Murph, will reload one last time then. Wish I could join the little guyz and head south.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:39pm - Sep 28,18 
Quote:
LOL, now there are 4 of us posting to the 2017 thread.

LOL

That's what we get for just hitting "Latest Posts" and respond to the last guy.

Like a bunch of lemmings running off the cliff. :lol:

Counted 8 this morning

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » The Podium » Random Thoughts & General Banter
Jump to: