Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:10pm - Apr 13,18 
Hummingbird Migration News: April 13, 2018 by Mary Hosier

https://learner.org/jnorth/hummingbirds ... ach-alaska

Ruby-throats Go North
On the Atlantic Coast Ruby-throats have moved up into Massachusetts this week. Watch for birds at your feeders along the leading edge of the Ruby-throat migration. As the weather changes again this weekend, winds will be shifting to bring cold from the arctic north and birds will stay put for a few days.

ANIMATED RUBY-THROAT MIGRATION MAP
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/gall ... g2018.html

SLOW START
Variable winds and weather this week brought starts and stops to early Ruby-throat migration.
Migration is Fickle
The strong southerly Gulf winds of early March that gave a push to the first Ruby-throats’ arrival along the Gulf Coast states have shifted. Powerful storms bringing precipitation and wind from the north are causing difficult conditions this week. Whether birds are returning north over a land route via Mexico and Texas, or by sea over the Gulf of Mexico, they are best to sit tight till this blows over.

Shifting Winds
Powerful March storms brought shifting winds with cold temperatures and precipitation across North America this week. Winds from the south early in the week have given way to northerly winds blowing across the Gulf of Mexico. Wednesday, March 7. Map courtesy of windy.com.

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/hummingbi ... ting-winds

Howdy folks, sorry for the late start. Health problems knocked me on my kiester, starting on Jan 1 with an 11 day hospital stay for double pneumonia, then 2 more stays with scary unrelated issues. Slowly making progress, but am still feeling like I've been dragged thru a knothole...........Murph810

Journey North is presented by Annenberg Learner.

Copyright 2018 Journey North. All rights reserved.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:04pm - Apr 20,18 
JOURNEY NORTH EMAIL, 4/19/2018, 3:36 PM
Hummingbird Migration News: April 20, 2018 by Mary Hosier

Cold-Stop, Warm-Go

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/hummingbi ... op-warm-go
A cold spring in the Great Plains continues to slow down Ruby-throat hummingbird migration this spring.

Migration Continues Slowly

It’s been another week of stop and go migration. Arctic weather continues to come down from the north keeping the Plains and eastern half of the continent at well-below-average temperature. These conditions are holding back the surge of Ruby-throats that we often see this time of spring.
“This is the latest the Ruby-throats have shown up in the past 7 years, but it has been so cold.” Macks Creek, Missouri on April 17th.
“It’s 34º outside and I just happened to look toward the window and there she was! I hope she stays warm tonight!” Inola, Oklahoma on April 15th.
“First sighting here in 2018, but sugar water has been disappearing. I attributed it to evaporation due to high winds. Was 27º at 7:00 AM!” Bowie, Maryland on April 18th.
“First hummingbird of the year! Waiting on the orioles now.” Grandview, Missouri on April 18th.
Orioles often migrate on the tails of the Ruby-throated hummingbirds. Be ready to attract them with your oranges and jelly.

ANIMATED RUBY-THROAT MIGRATION MAP
The map shows one sighting in Bartlett Illinois on April 15. The observer seems very positive and attached a far shot of the feeder.
"Hung the feeders 4/14, and this little guy arrived at 5:40 pm on the 15th. Poor photo, but sure was happy to see him!"

Mother Nature & Old Man Winter are havin another battle this year, I'm still bettin on her.........Murph810

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 07:43pm - Apr 20,18 
Murph,
Thanks again for providing all of here your great report on the hummers.

None in my yard yet..........but maybe with the predicted warm up it could be soon.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:10pm - Apr 20,18 
Thanks Murph, made my 1st HB feeder for this year. Gonna give it a go.

Ice Auger Blade Sharping

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:21pm - Apr 20,18 
Bill & Fran : Its my pleasure. Tomorrow my Tree Swallow box & maybe one feeder should go up...........Murph810

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:33pm - Apr 25,18 
Put out the HB feeder and the Finch feeder. Two finches all day every day feeding, but alas, no HB's yet.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:15am - Apr 26,18 
Got 1 HB feeder out along with the finch feeder. Plenty of finches, no HB yet. The season is starting.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:52pm - Apr 26,18 
Made some nectar for em last night. The feeders are going out today. Should start to see em showing up any day now, from looking at the migration map.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:35pm - Apr 29,18 
Hummingbird Migration News: April 27, 2018 by Mary Hosier

Holding Steady - Bringing Joy
https://learner.org/jnorth/hummingbirds ... ing-steady
Variable spring weather is a constant for migrating birds. When the hummers arrive, their observers are excited to see them!
Building Along the Gulf
It’s spring and there has been a lot of migrant activity. While some Ruby-throats have pushed north into Michigan, Illinois, and Iowa, the majority of reports (over 90) this week are from fallouts observed south of 40 degrees latitude. Slow moving storm systems have kept migrants holed up along the Gulf coast, and one reporter shared the photo above from Texas to show the large numbers of Ruby-throats at their feeders.

Rain and Fallout
https://learner.org/jnorth/hummingbirds ... nd-fallout
A wet week for Ruby-throated hummingbirds. A look at the sightings map shows the majority of first sightings in the past few days have been reported in a region south of latitude 40N. This precipitation map gives clues as to why there have been so many sightings at the leading edge of the Ruby-throat migration. Map courtesy of Climate Reanalyzer.

ANIMATED MIGRATION MAP

https://www.windy.com/?39.453,-88.154,5
Using the 10 day forecast buttons on the bottom of the screen, the winds for the first few days look perfect. Food may be a problem tho, a lot of the Southern states report the recent cold weather has affected the flowers which had been in bloom. Mother Nature won't let 'em outfly their food sources. Zooming in on the static migration map shows only 7 or 8 sightings in the Northern part of Illinois.
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/humm ... g2018.html

Keep the faith and keep betting on Mother Nature...........Murph810

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:35pm - Apr 30,18 
Who's got a good recipe for the HB's. Seen some on you tube but keeping it in the family here.

Ice Auger Blade Sharping

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:58pm - Apr 30,18 
jackpine wrote:
Who's got a good recipe for the HB's. Seen some on you tube but keeping it in the family here.

For nectar? I do one cup sugar to 4 cups water. Bring it to a boil, turn it off to let it cool, then put about 1/3 in my two feeders, and the rest in the fridge. I change it periodically every few days or so during the hot months. When I run out, I make more. Usually about once a week or 10 days.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:32pm - May 1,18 
Better get the feeders out, I had a male visit yesterday.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Des Plaines, IL 185 Nitro, 150 Merc XR6, Silver/Green

Post Posted: 11:13pm - May 1,18 
First drive by in Des Plaines 1800 hrs. Wife spotted it, I was in the garage.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:06am - May 2,18 
Knew I had to have some visitors because I'm seeing the nectar drop a lot in the feeders the past couple days. Hadn't spotted one yet till just now this morning, though. Let my dogs out and had a cigarette on my patio. Looked to be a really dark-headed male that showed up. Almost looked like a black-chinned... and not a ruby. Anyone else spot those in Illinois before? I'll try to get some pics. Would be cool if I have both black-chinned and ruby-throats visiting my feeders.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:20am - May 3,18 
Had my first one show up today. Time to put fresh nectar in and add another feeder. No waiting!!

Chitown-Angler

Location: Des Plaines, IL 185 Nitro, 150 Merc XR6, Silver/Green

Post Posted: 10:36am - May 3,18 
Has three show up this AM, only problem was they were Baltimore Orioles on my H-bird feeder. Got to watch some good aerial combat between the two males. Have never seen these here before.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:28pm - May 3,18 
Put the feeder up yesterday and have one coming in pretty regular today.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:55am - May 4,18 
I've had the orioles at my hummer feeder all week. I put out some oranges and the are pretty regular now. Today I had a Indigo Bunting at the feeder pretty little blue birds. Never had one of those before. One hummer has been hanging around since I put up the feeder.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:47am - May 4,18 
My wife has been putting our feeder out for about a month. We finally saw our first hummer yesterday.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:30pm - May 4,18 
Hang one in a ripe mulberry tree. Enjoy the hummers and the kaleidoscope of colors from the other guys too.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » The Podium » Random Thoughts & General Banter
Jump to: