Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:22am - May 12,18 
Yesterday baby left the tree. A couple days prior the nest blew out of the tree and baby was just clutching the crotch of the tree trying not to get blown out.

Not sure if momma made her take the leap of faith, or if the wind sent her packing. She wasn't quite ready to fly because she was running around the yard flapping her wings
but momma was close by looking out for predators.

She didn't stay in the yard long, so I figure I may never see her again. Hopefully momma can fight off any predators until she can fly.

In the end I hope they both return someday soon...supposedly they tend to stick around the nest for up to a year, but with the nest being gone, who knows? Either way it was a huge privilege to witness this dedicated Owl Mother hatch and raise her baby. Had I not been working on my boat in the driveway this winter I may not have known she was up there. Thank you momma, for all the great photo opportunities! Hope to see you and baby again soon...

Oh yeah...and thank you for taking care of the Squirrel overpopulation problem in the yard :respect

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:20pm - May 12,18 
I was quite literally just thinking about your hooters ! ................ :shock: .................I was out early this morning looking for morels and I spooked this GHO. I found this nest too, but I don’t think it’s big enough to be an owls nest. I think I just read a story about somebody getting attacked by an owl recently...... I’d invest in a helmet if I were you bro!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:15pm - May 12,18 
Nice shots, Fletch! The nest "my" Owls were in was way smaller than I had envisioned one would be. Hard to say but it very well could be. Is that a birch tree it is in?

FishermanFletch wrote:
I was quite literally just thinking about your hooters ! ................ :shock: .................I was out early this morning looking for morels and I spooked this GHO. I found this nest too, but I don’t think it’s big enough to be an owls nest. I think I just read a story about somebody getting attacked by an owl recently...... I’d invest in a helmet if I were you bro!

Good news. We went searching in the woods about 200 ft. behind the tree they inhabited , in the general direction baby headed when last seen early yesterday morning, and we found her safely perched on a small tree that has partially fallen down. She is up high enough to avoid any non-climbing predators.
We couldn't find Momma anywhere nearby which makes me believe she feels baby is safe for now.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:55pm - May 12,18 
Really cool thread! :allah

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:23pm - May 12,18 
choupiquer wrote:
Really cool thread! :allah

Thanks choupiquer! I've enjoyed sharing this with Chitowners because I know there's a bunch of people like yourself here that can appreciate something as cool as this, and I know I can always look back to this post and know my pictures will still be here!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:39pm - May 12,18 
Very cool man, thanks for sharing!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:09pm - May 12,18 
Yep! It’s a yellow birch I think.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:56pm - May 30,18 
Sad news. While walking my dog around the pond during lunch today, I found a dead Great Horned Owl on the shoreline. Beautiful bird, the talons were really impressive. I cant figure out why it died. As far as I can tell, it wasn't shot. It didn't appear to be injured in any way. Maybe it ate a poisoned rodent?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:47pm - May 30,18 
ThunderStick wrote:
Sad news. While walking my dog around the pond during lunch today, I found a dead Great Horned Owl on the shoreline. Beautiful bird, the talons were really impressive. I cant figure out why it died. As far as I can tell, it wasn't shot. It didn't appear to be injured in any way. Maybe it ate a poisoned rodent?

That is sad news, but if the Owl population by you is anything like it is by me, there will be more every year.

On a happier note, we still hear the baby Owl hooting away at night and early morning. With all the leaves on the trees, sightings are rare. The last time I saw her she finally had her full tail feathers and was flying to higher trees. I actually saw her regurgitate a pellet right after I got this picture...

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:49am - May 31,18 

What a majestic bird thanks for taking the time and sharing !!!
:gpost :allah :allah :allah
Hope the story is not done yet Ron !

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:16am - May 31,18 
ThunderStick wrote:

The West Nile virus did a number on the predator birds too.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » The Podium » Random Thoughts & General Banter
Jump to: