Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:41am - Mar 19,18 
I practice catch and release, mostly.

Does anone have any facts re: gut-hooked fish.

Do they automatically die?

I recently gut-hooked a 14# Laker while shorefishing half-roaches at the lakefront. I didnt want him but felt obliged to keep him as he was bleeding from a deep internal hook. $30 later, after a visit from Hagens, I had a lot of smoked laker to give out to happy neighbors and fam/ friends. I kept a steak for myself and it was tasty, but not my preference.

I've seen YouTube anglers cut the line as close to the hook and release fish. I would hate to kill and release a dying fish, who probly lived 10+ years and didnt deserve it.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:40pm - Mar 19,18 
If it's bleeding badly like that, probably not going to make it. You made the right call on that one.

I've caught fish though, most recently a big LM last year, that still had line hanging out it's mouth from a gut hook, and it was still feeding and real fiesty. I've heard, that most will make it, and my experience tells me that is probably the case, assuming the immediate damage isn't too bad.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:02pm - Mar 19,18 
Hooks do not rust out. The metal and plated hooks of today are there to stay. Back in the day they didn't rust out either, i remember my dad cleaning a pike that was ready to poop a perfect treble hook in it's stomach. They will die a very slow death based on the severity of the gut hook.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:47am - Mar 22,18 
Case and point for me with regard to gut hooked fish was a decent sized steelhead I caught in 2010 off gov't pier in Waukegan on a bait rigged alewife. The fish had swallowed the bait and fought hard, like most steelhead do! Anyway, when finally landed, I cut the line and decided to look for the hook when filleting the fish.

When I filleted the fish and went looking for my hook, I found half of it sticking out of the stomach wall, followed by a solid 1" gash that the hook tore open when the fish was fighting. I have zero doubt that this fish would have died a slow death if released. Whenever I get a fish that is able to swallow the hook entirely down into the gut, it gets put on the stringer, assuming that species is in season and of legal size.

Board index » The Podium » Random Thoughts & General Banter
Jump to: