Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Location: Des Plaines, IL 185 Nitro, 150 Merc XR6, Silver/Green

Post Posted: 05:00pm - Oct 13,17 
MURPH, has the fat lady sung at your place too?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:00pm - Oct 17,17 
Hummingbird Migration News: October 17, 2017 by Rita Welch

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/hummingbi ... ng-through

Still Passing Through
October 17, 2017 by Rita Welch
Even though migration season is nearing the end, observers are still seeing hummingbirds across the range. As sightings drop, we eagerly wait for news of arrivals in Costa Rica, the far end of the wintering grounds.

In this update a reader in Costa Rica reports some habitat damage from hurricane Nate. Mother Nature gave Hummers a rough road this fall. Keep the faith.........Murph810.

FNG 1969 wrote:
MURPH, has the fat lady sung at your place too?

Yep, took 'em down 10/5

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:23am - Oct 18,17 
Mine came down 10/7 as I went without seeing a single hummer that week after seeing them every single day, all day, for around 4-5 months.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:09am - Oct 24,17 
They've Arrived!
October 24, 2017 by Rita Welch

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/hummingbi ... ve-arrived
The first ruby-throated hummingbirds, a male and a female, arrived at our observation post in Costa Rica, the far end of the wintering grounds.
News from the Wintering Grounds
“A mature male arrived on October 20th and a female arrived on the 21st,” reported Patricia Nethercote from her home in Bagaces, Guanacaste in the foothills of the Miravalles Volcano.
“The average arrival date for ruby-throated hummingbirds is October 21st. It’s usually one of the wettest times of the year, but it is warm. Daytime temperatures are typically in the high 80º’s or low 90º’s. Nights are 10-15º cooler.”
© 1997 – 2017 Journey North. All rights reserved.
######################################################################

This update will probably be their last of this year.........Murph810

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:40am - Oct 24,17 
Reply to wsj_outdoorsman. My 2017 fishing (Or lack thereof) season.

wsj_outdoorsman wrote:
Murph,
You know this is a fishing site, not bird watching (even though I love your thread on the hummers). You need to post a fishing report soon or the moderators may just turn you over to the Audubon society for rehab. :P

Well Bill, the sad story follows:
Early this year while getting the Lund ready, I discovered wiring problems in the trailer. After my first futile efforts to find a bad ground, my marine guy said to drop it off and even tho he was swamped with boats coming out of storage etc, he should be able to fit in a short job like mine. Three rainy weeks later he said it was done. He also said that at some point one of his guys said " Hey boss that Blue Lund is FULL of water", they then replaced the auto bilge pump which had failed and I went on my merry way. The next day after seeing the high water mark in the boat, I started checking everything connected to the switch panel. Most didn't work, then I found a lot of fried wires, inline fuse holders, etc in the below floor compartments.
The next day, while getting the boat ready for the trip back to the shop, the electric tilt wouldn't work & I hadda use the manual release to get it up, (Relay had failed). Two weeks and another nice check later, I picked it up.
I have used him for 10 years, like and trust him. Kaka happens.

I took my time re-checking everything and re-getting the boat ready which took me into the first week of Sept. THEN, on Sept 10, I got my first ever case of Shingles. I have since been miserable and at times barely able to move with the nasty nerve pain which has now evolved into constant chest/rib/back pain like somebody worked me over with a baseball bat. The Doc says the virus does what it wants to and can't give a time table for relief.
Last fall my wife got a shingles shot during a physical. I never got one. My advice to anybody who has hit 60 would be to check with your Doc about the shot.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:33pm - Oct 24,17 
X2 on that shot.Almost every insurance covers it fully,got mine right after my 60th.My dad's friend had it so bad he couldn't wear a shirt or lay down or have anything touch it,the poor guy almost comitted suicide.Tough it out Murph we're all pulling for you.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 04:58am - Oct 25,17 
Murph,
The good Lord just might be giving you a reason to be thankful for the the past right now and making you look forward to a new future. After your battles with the boat and shingles I am sure your will appreciate next year that much more. You and your wife will remain in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:14am - Oct 26,17 
Thanks for the kind words guys, in case ya know anybody close to ya who has shingles, do the same for them, but DON'T give 'em a hug.

To turn this thread away from shingles and back to Hummers, I'm gonna make a shingles post with some info from today's Daily Herald. Thanks again, Murph810

Chitown-Angler

Location: Des Plaines, IL 185 Nitro, 150 Merc XR6, Silver/Green

Post Posted: 07:09pm - Sep 27,18 
Murph, have the little guyz left the local area, or am I wasting my time and sugar with the feeders still up?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:34pm - Sep 27,18 
FNG 1969 wrote:
Murph, have the little guyz left the local area, or am I wasting my time and sugar with the feeders still up?

Good question. I just had my trees, bushes and flowers trimmed for the fall, and the feeder is all mine are going to eat from now. I haven't seen anything since the trim.

Murph???? Counting on you for the info. :winker

Tom

Twin Fins

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:42pm - Sep 27,18 
Yo Monk & Tom: Most of 'em will be gone by now, but if they ain't, don't worry. They use a milk run of flowers and feeders, Mother Nature and the sun's angle and light prompts their instinct to migrate South. 3 weeks ago our place was full of migrating Hummers for about 10-15 days. They're all gone now except for two males, the older one is still chasing the younger one off the feeders. Your birds may be spending more time on their other milk run locations. I'm guessing ours will be here for maybe another week.........Murph810

EDIT: Oops, the 3 of us posted these on the 2017 thread.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:25am - Sep 28,18 
As of yesterday, we still had 8-10 working the feeders.
Wife has had them on the crack mix (1.5-1) for about 3 weeks, so they have been very fat and happy. :lol:
They will probably push on down the line this weekend with the expected cold snap.

Interesting surge of butterflies (mostly monarchs) the last few days.

Had a huge rush of just about every variety about 3-4 weeks ago and just a few since.

Cold is on the way down.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:11pm - Sep 28,18 
LOL, now there are 4 of us posting to the 2017 thread. Hopefully this workaround gets us on the right track. (God knows Momma Tried)

FNG 1969 wrote:

Tom wrote:
FNG 1969 wrote:

Good question. I just had my trees, bushes and flowers trimmed for the fall, and the feeder is all mine are going to eat from now. I haven't seen anything since the trim.
Murph???? Counting on you for the info. :winker Tom

Murph810 wrote:
Yo Monk & Tom: Most of 'em will be gone by now, but if they ain't, don't worry. They use a milk run of flowers and feeders, Mother Nature and the sun's angle and light prompts their instinct to migrate South. 3 weeks ago our place was full of migrating Hummers for about 10-15 days. They're all gone now except for two males, the older one is still chasing the younger one off the feeders. Your birds may be spending more time on their other milk run locations. I'm guessing ours will be here for maybe another week.........Murph810

EDIT: Oops, the 3 of us posted these on the 2017 thread.

MikeF wrote:
As of yesterday, we still had 8-10 working the feeders.<br abp="833">Wife has had them on the crack mix (1.5-1) for about 3 weeks, so they have been very fat and happy. :lol: <br abp="834">They will probably push on down the line this weekend with the expected cold snap.<br abp="835"><br abp="836">Interesting surge of butterflies (mostly monarchs) the last few days.<br abp="837"><br abp="838">Had a huge rush of just about every variety about 3-4 weeks ago and just a few since.<br abp="839"><br abp="840"><br abp="841">Cold is on the way down.

A couple of answers from Hummingbird Journey North:

Q. What makes hummingbirds migrate?

Hummingbirds migrate in response to hormonal changes that are triggered by
changing length of daylight. Nothing people can do will make them stay too long
in fall, so it's not necessary to stop feeding them to force them to go south.

Mother Nature tells 'em when to come & go, and how much to eat. I have my wife to control ME at a buffet.........murph810

Q. Will keeping feeders up prevent hummingbirds from migrating on time?
No. The birds have an instinct to move with the maximum availability of natural food. The feeders do not entice them. If migrating birds could be easily enticed to stay for food, none of them would get anywhere because they would have the maximium food available right up until fall's first killing frost—when it would be too late for so many hummingbirds to be moving. Migration is an innate or instinctive behavior. Any hummingbirds that are stragglers are just not in condition to move when they should. They need your feeders in order to have the best chance at catching up. Keep your feeders up, clean and filled at least two weeks after you see your last hummingbird in order to help those stragglers.

I'LL POST THIS ON THE 2018 THREAD ALSO......Murph810

PS: We saw the older hummer this morning.........Murph910

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:18pm - Sep 28,18 
I'LL POST THIS ON THE 2018 THREAD ALSO......Murph810

Support Staff

Post Posted: 06:40pm - Sep 28,18 
Hopefully locking this one will help get the 2018 thread back up and running!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Latest Topics  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Board index » The Podium » Random Thoughts & General Banter
Jump to: