Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:54am - Apr 12,18 
by vaping?

I'm just over 7 years and was curious if anyone else had tried it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:23am - Apr 12,18 
I quit, but not by vaping. So do you vape now?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:27am - Apr 12,18 
I do mops, the choice of flavors is insane. I have some Swedish fish going right now.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:10pm - Apr 12,18 
I the few times I stopped smoking for over a year, I quit cold turkey. I ultimately end up smoking again because I like smoking tobacco. I would rather smoke a cigarette than vape; at least I know what I'm signing up for. Vapes haven't been around long enough to know the long-term effects, and most of the "juice" contains nicotine, arsenic, and other chemicals found in cigarettes. I was never a fan of trading one addiction for another.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:11pm - Apr 12,18 
Quit, cold turkey 18 yrs ago after35+- yrs of smoking. One look at the price of a pack keeps any urges in check!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:33pm - Apr 12,18 
Pannie, not even close brother, you should do some research and not listen to the propaganda. 95% safer based on a through study completed by the Royal Academy of Physicians and many other.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:41pm - Apr 12,18 
Thats what I was going to say. Your trading one for another. I quit cold turkey, but that's not to say I won't smoke a couple while fishing, golfing, drinking, etc.. I would also choose a cig over a vape, but to each their own. Mops

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:45pm - Apr 12,18 
I need to quit cigs. I hate it, honestly. Worst thing I ever did in my life was start. I've quit cold turkey before, and that's my usual method. Had about a year and a half nicotine free(and no desire to go back) until I started getting divorced about 6-7 years ago. Buddies who all smoke took me out drinkin... there went that after a few beers. Good for anyone that does it and sticks with it. Hell of a job Bulldawg, congrats. I'm getting the itch to try and go cold turkey again soon.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:16pm - Apr 12,18 
I quit smoking( cigarettes) & beer just before my 50th birthday. Cold turkey- two packs a day--decided I wanted to live long enough to spoil the hell out of my grand kids. Now at 79 years I sure am glad I did--Yep quit & spoiling my grand kids been lots of fun. Don"t miss the cigs anymore and have lost taste for beer. Doc s told me when I had my triple bypass that if I still smoked I would not of made it. Plus one other thing I taught those kids how to fish at Shabbona and I am still alive to fish there, even catch a fish once in a while.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:54pm - Apr 12,18 
Still puffen on the butts.

Marc, have you been vaping for 7yrs?

Quit many times. Glad I read this post, going to hit up the vape shop again. Lost my last 1.

Ice Auger Blade Sharping

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:49am - Apr 13,18 
Hey Fran, I have and it's worked out good for me. Almost to 0 nic but I still love the flavors I have available to me.

Let me know if you want help getting the right equipment.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:03am - Apr 13,18 
Sorry Marc; I didn't mean to offend you; and the next set of statements are not meant to offend you either. However, I have done plenty of due diligence on vaping, unlike your misguided statement towards me would suggest. Your comment to me and the studies you posted with it are extremely misleading when put together. I have no clue where you came up with the "95% safer" figure seeing as neither of those studies compared cigarette smoking to vape use nor do they quote 95% anywhere in the conclusions.

As a matter of scientific study, 2 years is not long-term. Plus, that study was completed, using e-cigs that cannot be refilled, by and on behalf of the company that produces those e-cigs. Additionally, a 3.5yrs study of nine (9) "young-adult never-smoking" daily vape users, conducted by someone that continually works and consults for the companies and trade groups advocating vape use, is neither long-term, thorough, nor relevant to a current smoker's situation. You've been vaping for longer than the duration of both of those studies combined. Based on the fact that the two studies you referenced were completed on behalf of, or by someone benefitting from, the companies producing vapes; I would normally say that you are the one listening to propaganda and need to do some more research. However, I am not going to insult your intelligence like you have mine. I'll assume you've read equally biased studies for the "other" side.

Vaping, in the form we see it today, has not been around for more than a decade and a half. We have decades worth of data on tabacco use. Therefore, my original statement (which was a matter of personal preference) stands, "I would rather smoke a cigarette than vape; at least I know what I'm signing up for." I briefly worked for a tobacco distributor last year, the vape juice we sold had nicotine, arsenic, and at least 2 other carcinogens commonly found in cigarettes; Yes, the majority of the juice was propylene glycol, but the "flavor" was where the cigarette-related chemicals were found. If you have found an all-natural vape juice that does not have any carcinogens, please let us know. I will continue with my due diligence when you do.

Congratulations on 7-years smoke free, that is a big accomplishment regardless of the manner in which you quit. I really do hope that the vape you use isn't going to end up hurting you later, like my cigarettes will hurt me. There is just no research completed that suggests to me that the scientific community has thoroughly tested vaping on a true long-term scale. Therefore, I choose to smoke a product that I am nearly certain will deteriorate my body and eventually kill me.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:11pm - Apr 13,18 
You can find plenty of vape oils/juices that are 100% natural and/or organic, pannie.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:15pm - Apr 13,18 
I started making my own cigs about a year ago, comes out to 13.00 bucks a carton.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:21pm - Apr 13,18 
You didn't offend me at all Pannie, nor did I intend to offend you. Just thought that some unbiased information on the topic may be helpful. Noting studies conducted by the RCP vs anecdotal information I thought may be helpful.

The article published by the Royal College of Physicians is long but here you go, they state that there scientific study finds it 95% to 98% safer. It's a long read :)

Quote:
There is just no research completed that suggests to me that the scientific community has thoroughly tested vaping on a true long-term scale.

And while Bacon is King may be true there is long term studies that tell you over indulging is extremely unhealthy.

Vaping has been studied for almost a decade but it's just now making it to the press because 46 states piggy banks are being hurt, the revenue they used to get from the master settlement agreement is falling.

And for general information, the Royal College of Physicians is the same group that studied conventional tobacco back in the 60's and published a study that told us it was dangerous.

Quote:
Royal College Of Physicians Says E-Cigarettes Can 'Prevent Almost All The Harm From Smoking

In 1962, two years before U.S. Surgeon General Luther Terry released his famous report on the health hazards of smoking, the Royal College of Physicians (RCP) covered the same subject in a report that went further than Terry’s, linking cigarettes to cardiovascular disease as well as lung cancer and chronic bronchitis. Today the RCP issued another landmark report that should inspire imitation in the United States, endorsing e-cigarettes as a harm-reducing alternative to the combustible, tobacco-containing kind.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullu ... edba9a49b8

Nicotine without smoke: Tobacco harm reduction
Produced by: RCP policy: public health

Date: 28 April 2016

This report provides an update on the use of harm reduction in tobacco smoking, in relation to all non-tobacco nicotine products but particularly e-cigarettes. It shows that, for all the potential risks involved, harm reduction has huge potential to prevent death and disability from tobacco use, and to hasten our progress to a tobacco-free society.
Key recommendations

- Smoking is the biggest avoidable cause of death and disability, and social inequality in health, in the UK.
- Provision of the nicotine that smokers are addicted to without the harmful components of tobacco smoke can prevent most of the harm from smoking.
- Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) is most effective in helping people to stop smoking when used together with health professional input and support, but much less so when used on its own.
- E-cigarettes are marketed as consumer products and are proving much more popular than NRT as a substitute and competitor for tobacco cigarettes.
- E-cigarettes appear to be effective when used by smokers as an aid to quitting smoking.
- E-cigarettes are not currently made to medicines standards and are probably more hazardous than NRT.
- However, the hazard to health arising from long-term vapour inhalation from the e-cigarettes available today is unlikely to exceed 5% of the harm from smoking tobacco.
- Technological developments and improved production standards could reduce the long-term hazard of e-cigarettes.
- There are concerns that e-cigarettes will increase tobacco smoking by renormalising the act of smoking, acting as a gateway to smoking in young people, and being used for temporary, not permanent, abstinence from smoking.

However, the available evidence to date indicates that e-cigarettes are being used almost exclusively as safer alternatives to smoked tobacco, by confirmed smokers who are trying to reduce harm to themselves or others from smoking, or to quit smoking completely.

There is a need for regulation to reduce direct and indirect adverse effects of e-cigarette use, but this regulation should not be allowed significantly to inhibit the development and use of harm-reduction products by smokers.
However, in the interests of public health it is important to promote the use of e-cigarettes, NRT and other non-tobacco nicotine products as widely as possible as a substitute for smoking in the UK.

http://www.chitown-angler.com/Misc/Nico ... mokeV2.pdf

Let me know if you want more, I have plenty.

Combustion, the tar and chemicals are what cause cancer, there is zero combustion or burning with vaping.

And of all the studies completed that I have read all have found there to be nicotine but I have yet to see one true published "scientific study" where arsenic is present. And were you aware that Nicotine without combustion has health benefits.

Quote:
April 17, 2014

Smoking, of course, damages the lungs and blood vessels, and contributes to an array of health problems, but nicotine — the calming chemical that cigarettes deliver — might actually be good for the aging brain.

Smokers, for example, are less likely to develop Alzheimer's disease — a phenomenon that has long puzzled scientists because smoking contributes to cardiovascular disease, which strongly increases the risk of Alzheimer's.

But closer investigation revealed that smoking doesn't confer the protection; nicotine does.

A study of Alzheimer's patients showed that those who wore nicotine patches were better able to remember and pay attention than those who didn't. Another study showed that nicotine boosted cognitive function in older people who didn't have Alzheimer's, but were showing signs of age-related mental decline.

Nicotine also seems to protect against Parkinson's disease, in which the death of cells in a small area of the brain results in tremors, impairing movement and as well as cognitive difficulties.

So what's going on? How does the dreaded addictive component of cigarettes produce health benefits?

For starters, nicotine by itself isn't very addictive at all, according to Dr. Paul Newhouse, the director of Vanderbilt University's Center for Cognitive Medicine. Nicotine seems to require assistance from other substances found in tobacco to get people hooked.

"People won't smoke without nicotine in cigarettes, but they won't take nicotine by itself," said Newhouse, who has done extensive research into beneficial effects of nicotine on the brain. "Nicotine is not reinforcing enough. That's why FDA agreed nicotine could be sold over the counter. No one wants to take it because it's not pleasant enough by itself. And it's hard to get animals to self-administer nicotine the way they will with cocaine."

Nicotine is chemically similar to acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter in the brain that declines in Alzheimer's disease. Drugs such as Aricept help people with Alzheimer's by boosting brain levels of acetylcholine. Apparently, nicotine binds to the receptors in the brain normally occupied by acetylcholine, which benefits people who need more, but it has no apparent effect on those who don't.

"Nicotine doesn't appear to enhance normal people," Newhouse said, "but in people who show some degree of cognitive impairment, nicotine appears to produce a modest but measurable effect on cognitive function, particularly in areas of attention and, to some extent, memory."

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 09:06pm - Apr 13,18 
I quit after a 3rd bout of puenomia. Doc said I was lucky not to be dead. Said this is your wake up call. Have not had one since.

Team Ezeestep
Member, APCA

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:16pm - Apr 13,18 
Started at 15 and quit cold turkey at 33, when my kids where born. Only good thing that came out of it, was driving to Indiana for cheaper smokes at $10 a carton, gave me an excuse to fish and learn the creeks of northern Indiana for salmon and steelhead. Kids are addicted to that now, thank goodness they never took up smoking. Seeing what a pack cost in a bar or gas station in Chicago now just blows my mind.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:53pm - Apr 16,18 
Marc wrote:
Hey Fran, I have and it's worked out good for me. Almost to 0 nic but I still love the flavors I have available to me.

Let me know if you want help getting the right equipment.

I want your help Marc.

Please PM me with details.

Thanks Fran

Ice Auger Blade Sharping

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:38am - Apr 17,18 
All set Fran

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:30pm - Apr 17,18 
Marc wrote:
All set Fran