Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:50pm - Jan 11,18 
Just wanted to share my experience with a new bait shop ...

It's getting harder and harder to find these small bait shops these days as they compete against the internet and big box so I wanted to do my part mention it in case anyone wasn't aware.

Chicago Bait and Tackle, Inc.
37 W. Normantown Rd.
Romeoville, IL 60446
815-900-2248

Had a great selection of live bait a very reasonable prices:
Waxies
Spikes
Mousies
Fatheads (S, L, XL)
Roaches (a few sizes including LEGIT XL ones)
Suckers
Chubs

of course crawlers, red worms etc ... even saw softshells on the board (for you spring perch guys)

Looks like they have a good feel for the local fishing scene as they even had a powerline set up on the counter when I was there this weekend.

The owners really seem invested in the store and making sure the customer has a good experience. They offered to order things in for me if they didn't have them in store. I'm not on social media much but they seem to have a very active Facebook group as well (they do promos, raffles etc). Very creative in some promos and making a very good effort. Their location isn't super obvious so I wanted to give a shout out where it is deserved.

I have no personal investment other than wanting to see a small bait shop succeed. (It's really nice to be able to pick up minnows nearby)

Anyway, for those in the area, now you know if you didn't before. I know Freeman's just closed recently so hopefully this is an option for you.

Support your local guys - it's worth paying a few cents more than .com or Bass Pro b/c neither of those is there to scoop minnows for you.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:12pm - Jan 11,18 
It's getting harder to find minnows locally. Fortunately I discovered a place right near my house that I never suspected would have bait. It's called Strictly Archery and is located at 401 Earl Road in Shorewood. I found them when I had some work done on my trolling motor and they were listed as a Minnkota repair place. They have incredible minnows, and at a decent price. Kind of hard to find, but mapquest or google should get you there. Wish I was still into archery (bum shoulder) because this place looks pretty cool.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:47pm - Jan 11,18 
I always thought the best place to open a bait shop is at the waters edge. Many times we have run out of bait, and because there are none on the lake, we are screwed. A perfect example is The Pier. I think if it was on the water it would have done a terrific business. Or, think of this, maybe a delivery service to the pier. Call and order what you need, give a time when you will be at the dock, and they deliver to your boat, just saying.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:30am - Jan 12,18 
Have rod will travel wrote:
I always thought the best place to open a bait shop is at the waters edge. Many times we have run out of bait, and because there are none on the lake, we are screwed. A perfect example is The Pier. I think if it was on the water it would have done a terrific business. Or, think of this, maybe a delivery service to the pier. Call and order what you need, give a time when you will be at the dock, and they deliver to your boat, just saying.

I've never verified it, but Chicago bait and tackle does mention something about 'delivery' ... wonder how that works?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:59am - Jan 13,18 
Thanks it is on the way home, will give it a try as Angelos in Wilmington is not so generous with there minnows anymore.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:27am - Jan 13,18 
Is Angelos bait store still open ? Was down there last year and the Angelos/Ben Franklin store next to the bait store closed.
I used to go there and get work clothes.....

Dave

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:40am - Jan 17,18 
Great to know! Romeoville not too far away, will definitely give them a try. Thanks.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:22am - Jan 18,18 
dupagewader wrote:
Is Angelos bait store still open ? Was down there last year and the Angelos/Ben Franklin store next to the bait store closed.
I used to go there and get work clothes.....

Dave

Was at Angelo's last week and picked up some minnows and waxies for ice fishing at the WSC. They open at 6am during the ice season, I'm pretty sure. Can't remember their hours during open water season, but it's possibly the same. But they're most definitely open still.

As far as their minnow pours not being generous Gary... I haven't seen that honestly. We asked for a dozen crappie and a dozen large fatheads just this past Thursday, and got at least 2 dozen of each. I still have roughly a dozen of each left in the garage on the aerator.

That said, I'm happy to have this new shop open up by me out in Bolingbrook. Will make it a lot easier to pick up bait the day prior for outings and whatnot.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:41am - Jan 19,18 
Just an FYI the last time I looked they had an offer on groupon.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:29am - Jan 24,18 
Doyle and Betty over at Chicago Bait and Tackle are great, good selection and very fair prices. I am not surprised Strictly Archery has minnows; the store used to be Strictly Fishing years ago, you can also get minnows at The Feed Loft in Channahon on Rt6 not far from I55.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:14pm - Jan 24,18 
I stopped by the bait shop last week .
Nice place with a helpful staff. I bought a few ice lures and bait.

The gal/owner mentioned hat they live close by to the store and would be willing to open the shop extra early on a given day if a person was getting an early start.
I would feel bad asking for that kind of favor though...

-Carl Sagan

Board index » The Podium » Random Thoughts & General Banter
Jump to: