Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:45pm - Jun 19,17 
I'm in N suburbs and buddy & I are planning a full fishing day within 2hr driving radius. We're thinking shorefishing but boat rental (under $50 full day) would not be out the question. We have both IL & Wisc inland license.

We're thinking Heidecke for multi species, Burnham/Tube for smallies/perch/coho, Lake Zurich(from a boat) or even as far as Oshkosh WI for some white bass. Any suggestions? We'll be using both live and artificial baits. If I had to choose, I would pick quantity over quality to keep things fun, especially on a hot day.
Thank you so much!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:32pm - Jun 19,17 
If I'm shore bound I'd be at McKinley pier catching alewife and fishing for cold water kings. Was there this weekend on the boat and caught some real nice fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:22am - Jun 20,17 
What day of the week are you going?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:31am - Jun 20,17 
I'd vote for Shabonna state park. Check out it's website, it has all you could want.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:14am - Jun 20,17 
Probably Friday.

Thanks for the suggestion on Shabonna but I'm not confident about that place based on my last performance.

Indiana would work too for us.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:42am - Jun 20,17 
Lake Zurich or Deep Lake

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:08am - Jun 20,17 
Do you have access to a boat on Lake Zurich? Last time I checked the boat rental place he wanted something like $40 per person for 4 hours. I'd put a vote in for Deep lake.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:09am - Jun 20,17 
Quote:
Indiana would work too for us.

Michigan City Pier or DNR station for Steelhead floating shrimp. Cast for perch and smallies in between. Great restaurants right there to stop and eat lunch or dinner. Gambling boat and beach right there if the fishing isn't good.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:11am - Jun 20,17 
Pretty easy to catch bluegills out of deep lake. We do a One Hope United outing every june and do well. There is a resort with boat rental on the east side of the lake. They put some of those southern strain gills in there that get really big. I am sure there are other lakes up there too that are private but have a private access to the public that wohld be great as well.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:15am - Jun 20,17 
This is it. Fish from shore. Great potential to catch all fish. rentals available. Three Oaks Recreation Area.
http://www.crystallake.org/residents/th ... ation-area

Last edited by Ukie1 on 08:04am - Jun 21,17, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:34am - Jun 20,17 
TroutMouth06 wrote:
If I'm shore bound I'd be at McKinley pier catching alewife and fishing for cold water kings. Was there this weekend on the boat and caught some real nice fish.

Is sabiki rig legal?

Pannie Popper wrote:
Do you have access to a boat on Lake Zurich? Last time I checked the boat rental place he wanted something like $40 per person for 4 hours. I'd put a vote in for Deep lake.

They charge by person. So it's $20 if you fish alone or $40 if two people and so on.

Tom wrote:
Michigan City Pier or DNR station for Steelhead floating shrimp. Cast for perch and smallies in between. Great restaurants right there to stop and eat lunch or dinner. Gambling boat and beach right there if the fishing isn't good.
Tom

:thanks I'm seriously considering it.

ToddM wrote:
Pretty easy to catch bluegills out of deep lake.

I'm thinking more than just gills and bass since it's a rare open day for fishing.

Ukie1 wrote:
This is it. Fish from shore. Great potential to catch all fish. rentals available.
http://www.crystallake.org/residents/th ... ation-area

While this is one of the best fishery in IL, I've had bad experiences with their boats and staff. Their batteries always run out of juice!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:53am - Jun 20,17 
Second for Shabbona, if you can splurge for the boat rental.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:59pm - Jun 20,17 
In Wisconsin you can use a Sabiki but you can only fishit with 3 hooks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:04pm - Jun 20,17 
Pannie Popper wrote:

Ditto.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:03am - Jun 21,17 
If I had my druthers the wolf river in Fremont (red banks) would be my first choice. Always productive but a bit of a haul.
Geneva a bit closer also has always been productive for me. Done real well will a drop shot and Minnow. Boat traffic this time of year can be an issue. Weekdays are best. Lastly shabbona would be a close to home choice. Pure fishin lake, nice Crappie, bass and catfish. There's some toothy critters in there as well. But like you said hit or miss. But hey that's fishin!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:51am - Jun 21,17 
Man, everything sounds so good. I'm hearing good reports out of Fox Chains as well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:50pm - Jun 21,17 
Bite the bullet, and spend the bucks, get a guide. I would recommend T-Bone guide service. He does super well on the Chain of lakes. Once you learn some of the tricks and his spots, the next time you will be able to do it again. I thought I knew the chain, but at times it is tough to fish. Since I went out with Chris and learned a bunch of his spots fishing has gotten much easier. And I will use him again. Or use him, and fish Delevan or Geneva.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:11pm - Jun 21,17 
For what its worth I shot out to MC today to commemorate the solstice and soak a couple shrimp. Definitely less than ideal conditions, lake was a little stirred up and water wasn't very cold and I fished the afternoon. But, I did manage one nice steelie and saw probably 10 or more others hooked between 3 and 8:30. With strong south winds tomorrow, things should get any worse. If the fish aren't there, the bikini hatch is out is full force and that alone can make it worth a day out there. 8)~

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:31pm - Jun 21,17 
babyduke wrote:
Man, everything sounds so good. I'm hearing good reports out of Fox Chains as well.

No fish on the chain.

:winker

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:35pm - Jun 21,17 
Have rod will travel wrote:
Bite the bullet, and spend the bucks, get a guide. I would recommend T-Bone guide service. He does super well on the Chain of lakes. Once you learn some of the tricks and his spots, the next time you will be able to do it again. I thought I knew the chain, but at times it is tough to fish. Since I went out with Chris and learned a bunch of his spots fishing has gotten much easier. And I will use him again. Or use him, and fish Delevan or Geneva.

You can't go wrong with Chris. Depending on dates you may be out of luck , as he stays busy.
If you want to learn he is a great teacher.
Species I've personally caught , within 1/4 mile troll from my launch on Channel within the last two weeks;
Gills, crappie, perch, white and yellow bass, cats ( 2-9lb) . carp ( 8lb) , LMB and SMB , numerous and all 2.5 lb and above , pike(s) over 30" and 35" ski. All while fishing ultralight BFS or ML casting. All 100% artificial baits and flies, and many of my own design.
We have had decent luck catching skies while actually using ski gear and targeting them too.
The skies should turn on even better here soon...

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » The Podium » Random Thoughts & General Banter
Jump to: