Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:00pm - May 17,19 
I know tackle has advanced and improved over the years, and I've bought lots of new stuff throughout the decades... But does anyone else out there enjoy the nostalgic aspect of using some of your old, old gear? My uncle, who introduced me to fishing in the early 70's, used to use a lot of Heddon rods and reels. Got me a Heddon rod for Christmas once. I still use it quite a bit. Also with that he got me a Heddon 112 spincast reel. After several years the pushbutton part broke, and instead of throwing it out - after all, I had many better reels - I sent it to a reel repair place, but they couldn't fix it and returned it. Since then, a little thing called ebay came into being and so I found and bought a couple of those reels cheap, just to have the parts and keep that old connection. I can still hear my uncle, in his Lithuanian accent, either giving me some fishing advice or chewing me out about something (he may have taught me to fish, but he could be a real jerk in other ways).
I also have a rod from my Grandfather, along with his tackle box. I'll use that around home as well. Never got to fish with him, but it's a connection.
Might be weird, but to me I love the personal nostalgia.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:02pm - May 17,19 
I still have tackle for salmon fishing from when I started with my Dad back in the late 70's. Pretty cool to be able to fish with my kids who are in their 20's and still be able to catch fish on those lures or flies. I agree with you, love the nostalgia, and have passed that on to my kids. Dare Devils and Red Eyes still catch fish.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Location: Des Plaines, IL 185 Nitro, 150 Merc XR6, Silver/Green

Post Posted: 05:07pm - May 17,19 
Agree with both of the previous comments. Still have an OLD Heddon worm rod I bought for my old man, can't just toss it out. May spool it up again just for grinz, and remember the memories of all those long ago trips.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:38pm - May 17,19 
One of these days I am going to dust off my cardinal 3 and matching prostaff rod.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:32am - May 20,19 
I still use my mom's dad's old surf casting stuff on vacations to the ocean. The rods are nothing special, but the reels are classic Penn spinners. My dad's mom gave me one of my grandfather's old tackle boxes for my last birthday. I'm not sure I'll ever use the stuff, mostly for fear of losing it, but it brings back memories. I learned to fish from both my grandfathers, so it's an honor to use their old gear.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:34pm - May 20,19 
A variety of grandpa's pen trolling reels from the #9 to the #209 all have to be close to 50years old. Also one of my favorite lures is the Heddon river runt. I found 3 boxes at a garage sale (12/box) original packaging all the way. They are the plastic variety but from the 60's. 1 box (doz) are my man cave décor. the other two dozen see regular use. A few given to friends under the condition the get thrown.... not thrown on ebay. I have and recommend upgrading the hooks though.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:57am - May 22,19 
Cool. One of the lures from my grandpa's tackle box (which BTW is a metal box with a hammered finish green paint..when a local hardware store was closing some time ago, I found the same - or super close - paint, and repainted the box as it was getting a bit rusty, but I digress) is "Heddon River Runt Spook Sinker". I don't think I've used in in 20 years.. think I'll make it a point to do so this year.

As BigJim says, it's an honor to use old gear from a departed one.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:25pm - May 22,19 
YES! The strange thing is the gear I use is the gear I always used. As my Grandfather and Godfather passed I inherited their gear as well. I feel like they are out there with me when I use it. I always say there's another on Grandpa's rod or Godfather Steve's rod. It's an extra good feeling. I could care less about anything new. The old stuff has always worked. I use Mitchell 300's, Eagle Claw Rods, and cheap line. Do people catch more, ofcourse! Some day's I catch more. We all have our days being "that" guy lol. I'm all with you on the old gear and the memories.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Hot Rods ~ Reels and Home Grown..... Baits of Course
Jump to: