Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:07am - Feb 17,18 
had a operation so haven.t been fishing month and a half . anybody catching anything in the slips . I see nothing posted just wondering . Usually march start catching some . Thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:46pm - Feb 17,18 
i think 87th has been shutoff to fishing by the landowners... saw a report somewhere online last weekend that some fish were being caught at 89th... but not sure how good it was.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:45am - Feb 18,18 
The rumor is true, fishing has been shut down at 87th. You can only fish the mouth, that's park dept property. Anything past the fence is now completely off limits. The bite is still going at 89th. Was out there this past Thursday. Got out about 1pm and fished until 4pm, left with a dozen. Went back out Saturday morning 7-11am and left with a limit of near 8" fish or better, biggest at 11". Perch flies and shrimp worked for me. Rumor has it minnows are the better bait. Bigger fish and faster action. Remember if you head out there the whole slip is iced over so you'll need to bust open a hole for yourself.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:20pm - Feb 18,18 
Thank you for the report . Back in action so itching to get out there . Sad on 87th slip but had a feeling this was coming .

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:52pm - Feb 19,18 
How thick is the ice? And how do people bust open holes in it? I can't envision people climbing down onto the ice to drill it with an auger.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:17pm - Feb 19,18 
Ice next to wall is about 2" thick max, with 6-8" frozen snow on top. Although some people venture out on the ice to fish I highly advise against it. Mainly because it's just not smart or safe to walk on Lake Michigan. Secondly that's what ultimately caused 87th slip to be shut down. There are many types of ways to break the ice. People get real creative on what they use. I use a 10 or 12lb, not sure what it weights, mushroom anchor attached to strong rope. Others use cement filled coffee cans, old brake rotors, or exercise weights. Drop it down as hard as needed to break a hole. That's the easy part. Next you'll need something to clear the ice chunks so you can properly release fish you don't want. I use a small bucket on a rope to clear the hole. I've seen nets, ice scoops on sticks, coffee cans on sticks, pool skimmers and all kinds of other stuff used as well. Just keep in mind that your about 8-10 ft above the water, so whatever your planning on using needs to be at least that length.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:17am - Feb 20,18 
Thanks for the report

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:57pm - Feb 21,18 
I've got a bigass pier net I use for salmon with a handle that extends up to 20ft so getting the ice chunks out will be the easy part I hope. And yeah, I'd never dream of walking out onto Lake Michigan ice, that's just asking to die, hence my question. I'm guessing a bucket full of 30lbs of water will smash a nice hole if a 10lb anchor works.

Thanks for the info! Gonna give it a try tomorrow morning.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:47pm - Feb 21,18 
burningmatt wrote:
I've got a bigass pier net I use for salmon with a handle that extends up to 20ft so getting the ice chunks out will be the easy part I hope. And yeah, I'd never dream of walking out onto Lake Michigan ice, that's just asking to die, hence my question. I'm guessing a bucket full of 30lbs of water will smash a nice hole if a 10lb anchor works.

are you kidding? it's open water

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:09am - Mar 4,18 
Got out to 89th St. this Morning, and it was completely dead. Talked to several people leaving and nobody had caught anything.

Walked out to the mouth of 87th St and caught nothing there as well.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:15am - Mar 4,18 
burningmatt wrote:

Where would you get the water to fill bucket?

It's all about the fun! If you can't laugh at yourself, we'll do it for you.
Big Rods Fishing Team & Tacklebusters

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:16pm - Mar 4,18 
Whitebass219 wrote:
https://www.muskyshop.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=split+rings&x=0&y=0. Secondly that's what ultimately caused 87th slip to be shut down. .

What ultimately caused 87th to be shut down was some operation dumping barrels of toxic waste at the slip.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:18pm - Mar 5,18 
Sorry guys I lumped my perch report last week in with my trout fishing in another thread.We looked and tried everywhere with the boat and came up blank so I assume the bulk if not all have headed back out into the lake.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:10pm - Mar 6,18 
rodm wrote:
Where would you get the water to fill bucket?

......from my faucet at home? It ended up being completely unnecessary though, since the slip was open. The perch are gone though.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:31am - Mar 7,18 
Can you walk to the legal section by parking on lake shore drive? Where would you park?

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:56am - Mar 7,18 
MartyK wrote:
Can you walk to the legal section by parking on lake shore drive? Where would you park?

East on 87th will take you into Steelworkers Park.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Perch
Jump to: