Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:48am - Nov 23,17 
Thinking about hitting navy pier tomorrow morning. Anyone been out?

Support Staff

Post Posted: 02:15pm - Nov 23,17 
We were there this morning. Lots of small fish, got some keepers with a lot of sorting. Bigger minnows (roaches) seemed to get bigger fish. Went through a gross of minnow between the 3 of us. Caught fish on spoons and jigging raps, although seemed to get smaller fish that way.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:23pm - Nov 23,17 
Thanks for the update Tiny. Viewed by 308. Hard to believe you were the only one. I'll be sure to post my results. Always have always will. That's why I joined this site.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:20am - Nov 24,17 
In at 6:20, out at 9:15 with a limit. Caught 5 throwbacks for every keeper. Used cutbait on a spinner snell with a small tube trailer. Once I added the tube the quality went up. All fish between 9-10".

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:32am - Nov 25,17 
Thanks for the report reno. How was the validation process for the fisherman rate for parking? Did they give you any trouble?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:45pm - Nov 25,17 
Not at all.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:31pm - Nov 26,17 
Started the day riding my bike to Navy Pier and my chain broke in-two, halfway there. Managed to find both pieces of the broken link and without any tools, spent about 45 minutes trying to get it back together, to no avail. Luckily I had my Divvy key and I walked the bike to the nearest station, then put my bike upside-down in the front basket and rode home. With a backpack and three 2-piece rods. When I got home, the wife concurred that things like this happen for a reason, that I was intentionally slowed-down by god for an hour-and-a-half, and that i should get back on that divvy and go fishing before I hurt something or someone.
2 Hours after I felt that chain snap I was finally at Navy pier, and now sweating like a pig under all the layers I had assumed would not be enough. Time to fish, and now it's time for the actual fishing report:
I lowered my bare chartreuse ice jig from rod #1 to the bottom and lifted up, once and I had my sacrificial dink. This little fella produce two micro-fillets, split down the length to produce 4 total strips of meat, skin-on and with all seven black bars that define the yellow perch....and yellow perch are cannibals - especially the jumbos. Good night rod number one.

Rod #2 is rigged with a drop shot, and a 2/0 baitkeeper hook, too big for anything under 8", and the strip of meat is woven up the shank and secured with one last poke - not unlike a nightcrawler chunk, but more like a small perch.

Rod# 3 never hit the water, my rod I throw a spinner or kastmaster if rod #2 is waiting for a bite......
Every cast produced a fish, each between 8-11 inches, with two above 12. It was one of my better perch fishing experiences in a decade.
No exaggerating, at least a 120 fish on four pieces of meat from that first perch-gift from heaven....the one fish I appreciate more than any of the bigger ones who lived a complete life.
Kept 12, sacifriced one, and fed a family of four.
There's something to be said about going to the lakefront with nothing, and using the little fish to catch the big fish. It really was meant to be, and exactly at the time I got there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:46am - Nov 27,17 
Congrats on the larger fish. 2 days boat fishing and not a fish over 10". Guess I'll start going to NP.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:11am - Nov 27,17 
Probably more of how than where. Use bigger baits and bigger hooks if you’re catching too many small fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:42pm - Nov 27,17 
Can someone please remind me where the parking is?

Also- are there specific hours? Wondering if parking later in the evening was available

Thanks in advance

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:41pm - Nov 27,17 
There is an office inside the garage. Use the "EAST PARKING" entrance. Door for the office (marked "standard parking") is right next to the driveway used to enter, on the north wall of the garage, east of the driveway. Enter thru that door, you will find yourself in a small hallway, and on the left is the dutch door for the actual office. After 5 AM (and before 10 AM) you will show your fishing license, turn in your ticket, and will be given another one, that you will pay for at the pay station any time before 10 AM. Not sure what the price is at the moment, last year it was $6.
They used to have another special rate for after hours a few years back, not sure if they still do, it was like $10 if you park after 5 PM.

Looking at their website, you can see this:

Winter Early Bird Rate
Mondays through Fridays from November 1 through April 30, guests arriving between 5am and 8am and exiting by 7pm can enjoy a special early bird flat parking rate of $10. Not valid when special event rates are posted during Winter WonderFest.

I would give them a call to find out more, they have the number on their site.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:58pm - Nov 27,17 
PoWop wrote:
Started the day riding my bike to Navy Pier and my chain broke in-two, halfway there. Managed to find both pieces of the broken link and without any tools, spent about 45 minutes trying to get it back together, to no avail. Luckily I had my Divvy key and I walked the bike to the nearest station, then put my bike upside-down in the front basket and rode home. With a backpack and three 2-piece rods. When I got home, the wife concurred that things like this happen for a reason, that I was intentionally slowed-down by god for an hour-and-a-half, and that i should get back on that divvy and go fishing before I hurt something or someone.
2 Hours after I felt that chain snap I was finally at Navy pier, and now sweating like a pig under all the layers I had assumed would not be enough. Time to fish, and now it's time for the actual fishing report:
I lowered my bare chartreuse ice jig from rod #1 to the bottom and lifted up, once and I had my sacrificial dink. This little fella produce two micro-fillets, split down the length to produce 4 total strips of meat, skin-on and with all seven black bars that define the yellow perch....and yellow perch are cannibals - especially the jumbos. Good night rod number one.

Rod #2 is rigged with a drop shot, and a 2/0 baitkeeper hook, too big for anything under 8", and the strip of meat is woven up the shank and secured with one last poke - not unlike a nightcrawler chunk, but more like a small perch.

Rod# 3 never hit the water, my rod I throw a spinner or kastmaster if rod #2 is waiting for a bite......
Every cast produced a fish, each between 8-11 inches, with two above 12. It was one of my better perch fishing experiences in a decade.
No exaggerating, at least a 120 fish on four pieces of meat from that first perch-gift from heaven....the one fish I appreciate more than any of the bigger ones who lived a complete life.
Kept 12, sacifriced one, and fed a family of four.
There's something to be said about going to the lakefront with nothing, and using the little fish to catch the big fish. It really was meant to be, and exactly at the time I got there.

Excellent report for us armchair guys !
A very interesting thread so far.

-Carl Sagan

Board index » Lake Michigan » Perch
Jump to: