Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:39pm - Aug 1,18 
MWA PERCH DERBY

The MWA’s Annual Perch Derby is August 25th, 2018 with August 26th 2018 as the blow day. We will be launching out of New Buffalo, Mi. We will fish from 8am-2pm EST. check in is 7:00am-7:30am EST. in the parking lot. We will measure the fish at New Buffalo High School afterwards. The High School is located at 1112 E. Clay St. This is a bragging rights derby with $10 per boat for the big fish pot. You may fish with as many people in your boat as law allows. The ramp fee is $12. You don’t have to be a member to join in, so tell your friends. If any questions call Rick @ (574) 993-1913. Hope to see you there.

Rick Nichols
Michiana Walleye Association

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:30am - Aug 24,18 
Do to rougher weather and waves this has been Rescheduled for sept. 15th.
Thank You

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:00pm - Aug 24,18 
Is there any perch there to be caught.?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:50pm - Aug 27,18 
At times, I've know of a few limits taken, but here today, gone tomorrow.
Its not been a good year anywhere.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:36pm - Aug 27,18 
It's hard to believe. There were huge schools of baby perch last year in Waukegan. This year there was noting inshore or off shore. Even trolling in shallow for Kings I've seen nothing. Maybe November produces different results, but I'm not confident of that. I really miss fishing New Buffalo and Union Pier for those green bandits.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:43am - Aug 29,18 
I've seen limits out of portage and out of New Buffalo, but the next day there gone.lol
Seems like right before the rain or in the rain.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:46pm - Sep 4,18 
Seen limits pictures of Perch out of New Buffalo today and heard Mich City monday was good also.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:50pm - Sep 4,18 
Other Marine Products
Issued by NWS Chicago, IL

Home | Current Version | Previous Version | Text Only | Print | Product List | Glossary On
Versions: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
SXUS83 KLOT 041347
OMRLOT
ILZ014-051500-

SOUTHERN LAKE MICHIGAN WATER TEMPERATURES
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL
846 AM CDT Tue Sep 4 2018

LAKE MICHIGAN WATER TEMPERATURES...

CHICAGO SHORE..........72.

CHICAGO CRIB..........61.

WILMETTE BUOY..........68.

WAUKEGAN BUOY..........60.

WINTHROP HARBOR BUOY..........53.

MICHIGAN CITY..........49.

MICHIGAN CITY BUOY..........74.

SOUTH MID LAKE BUOY..........73.

NORTH MID LAKE BUOY..........66.

&&

M IS FOR MISSING DATA THAT IS NORMALLY AVAILABLE.

THE MICHIGAN CITY WATER TEMPERATURE SENSOR IS LOCATED AT A WATER
INTAKE ONE MILE OFFSHORE AND 60 FEET BELOW WATER SURFACE. IT IS READ
EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR.

That off shore water temp explains why the perch are on. :winker Good to hear someone is catching perch.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:57pm - Sep 16,18 
Friend Joe Mosckolick and I won the perch Derby yesterday with a 13 1/4 inch perch caught in 39 ft of water about a mile north of the New Buffalo.
The day started off fast and furious and we thought for sure we would have some Michigan Limits (35) but that didn't happen for us. In the first 1/2 hour
we started off in 35 ft where we marked fished and slow jigged towards shallower waters, when I hit a double and the bigger fish was 10 1/2 we though it was going to be a great
day. We caught lots of fish but we try not to keep any under 8 inchs ( just a personal setting for us), fish were very aggressive and hammered everything in the water. We had 3 keeper fish in the box and got dinks on and off for a few more hours as the schools seemed to move shallower. Well about 10:30 they slowed and by 11:00 eastern time you couldn't buy a bite. 11:30 we pulled up and headed south to where the rest of the Derby guys were fishing in the Pump house are from 18 ft out to 40 ft were lots of boats.
We settled for the deeper water looking for just 1 bigger fish to win this Derby or maybe 2 bigger fish or 3 lol, you know how that goes. Some of the guys had a lot of fish, some friends had 31 in the box at the end but none big enough to win the Derby. Lots of fish taken EARLY it seems like as the bite south had slowed to and nothing but dinks.
1 PM we decided to make 1 last run north and try for that 1 big fish. We got there dropped are lines and nothing but a flat bottom and not even 1 red mark, we slow trolled at .01 to .02 towards earlier marks we had and nothing for a half hour but a dink every know and then so were thinking we may get 2nd place with our 10 1/2 incher if were lucky lol. So a few minutes later I hear fish on and oh man its got me doubled over and friend gets a nice 12 and 1/8 incher and a smaller one on a second pole so were pumped up again and a few minutes later boom he's doubled over again and its nice 13 1/4 inch fish. So water was flat most of the day with a slight wind in the afternoon, beautiful day. So we claimed $135 for the best 3 and biggest fish, 2nd place guys got it with a 12 1/2 inch fatty Perch. The Mich City and Mich State areas are doing well as of know so you know it doesn't last so if you can get out, enjoy it, water temp was 65, fathead minnows is what we used and seemed to work well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:53pm - Sep 16,18 
Congratulations on your win along with your edited highs and lows of your fishing experiences of the day. :gpost

Board index » Lake Michigan » Perch
Jump to: