Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:55am - Oct 7,17 
sent dale bowman an email, he has not heard of any closing to fisherman as of yet. hopefully he can find something out

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:19pm - Oct 7,17 
If this is true, this is further proof that a significant portion of fisherman are trash that simply don't care... We did this to ourselves.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:35am - Oct 8,17 
WATERWAYS
(615 ILCS 5/) Rivers, Lakes, and Streams Act
(615 ILCS 5/7) (from Ch. 19, par. 54)
Sec. 7. It shall be the duty of the Department of Natural Resources to have a general supervision of every body of water within the State of Illinois, wherein the State or the people of the State have any rights or interests, whether the same be lakes or rivers, and at all times to exercise a vigilant care to see that none of said bodies of water are encroached upon, or wrongfully seized or used by any private interest in any way, except as may be provided by law...

(615 ILCS 5/8) (from Ch. 19, par. 55)
Sec. 8. The Department of Natural Resources shall receive from any citizen complaints as to any invasion of or encroachment upon any rights of the State, or of any citizen of the State, with reference to any of the public bodies of water of the State, or as to any interference with the right or claim of any citizen to use or enjoy any public water of this State...

(615 ILCS 5/10) (from Ch. 19, par. 57)
Sec. 10. The Department of Natural Resources shall investigate any and all complaints within the State that any person, company, association or corporation is attempting to assert any lawful rights or exclusive privileges or franchises with reference to docks, landings, wharves, or the free and unobstructed access to, or egress from any navigable body of water, and if it finds upon investigation that any complaint is well founded, it shall enter such order as may be necessary to correct the wrongful act.

I'm no lawyer but I would bet the law is on the fisherman's side here. The state law would supersede any city ordinance, no?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:05am - Oct 9,17 
Yes. The city can't prevent people from fishing a public, navigable body of water, by law. So the state law does trump city ordinance.

The problem is that the city can make things difficult on the fishermen, making it not worth it to go down there anymore, even though they can't technically restrict our access to fish it. Like removing the parking validation... so the fishermen have to pay the full $25 charge to park there. I know I wouldn't ever go again if I had to pay $25 to park there instead of the $5 or $6 that it is now. It's not worth it.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:29pm - Oct 9,17 
i can remember when i was a kid my dad gave me the job to put a nickel in the parking meter by Rockys to park for
one hour ! i used to watch the tug boat take the fisherman out to the lighthouse rocks , then come back with stringers of jumbo perch ! What a difference 60 years makes !
I hope all the politicians with their $100,000 plus pensions are enjoying their lake front summer homes , and sandy beaches, in southern Michigan ! :noway

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:35pm - Oct 9,17 
The main concern at the pier is the garbage let by the slobs that cant walk 10 feet to dump it in the many containers that they have put out there. Fisherman need to self police the area and speak up to these slobs.Everyone has a phone with camera use it. Post pictures of these guys and if need be contact security and or CPD. There are no plans to stop fishing at this time but that can change..I have been going down to navy pier and Rockys for over 50 years and the amount of fishing areas we have lost is HUGE..It will continue until WE unite and make it better for our group as a whole. The Chicago Park Dist. controls the entire lakefront and can close any and all areas if it sees fit. Navy Pier, Inc. (NPI) is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation established in 2011 to maintain Navy Pier as a historic public landmark and to facilitate the redevelopment of Navy Pier in accordance with reform legislation passed by the Illinois General Assembly in 2010 (Public Acts 096-0898 and 096-0899). This means that they also can restrict access to the pier.If you want to make a difference go to the public meetings and bring as many fellow fisherman possible..Send emails and letters to all involved in the process..Waiting for the next guy to do something gets no results at all.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:07pm - Oct 10,17 
How can they restrict access when the law says "any person, company, association or corporation is attempting to assert any lawful rights or exclusive privileges or franchises with reference to docks, landings, wharves, or the free and unobstructed access to, or egress from any navigable body of water, "?

Just curious, I know the Gov't breaks their own rules all the time and just because the law or constitution says something doesn't mean the ordinances and statutes are always in compliance, but can they "legally" restrict access to public water from public land? The pier is still public, right?

No disrespect meant but I don't think the park district can close the lake to fishing. Our portion of the lake is OWNED by the people of the state and held IN TRUST for us by the state. Chicago may hold the land but according to Chicago's laws the shoreline of the lake is supposed to be closed to private development. Public land, public water.

Litter is a problem everywhere, look at all the water bottles. Maybe we should ban running along the Lakefront because thirsty runners are improperly disposing of their empty receptacles up and down the lake. Same dumb argument that ruins fishing spots would be laughable applied to runners. How 'bout ticketing the human trash that leave their trash and make it a serious offence? In the past I've had people (not fisherman) who wanted to fight me because I politely directed them not to leave their trash on the ground. What we really need is regulations on single use plastics. But that would cost alot of businesses a lot of $$$ so we probably won't start to see that until we're all knee deep in bags and bottles as we walk down the street.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:02pm - Oct 10,17 
http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2012/Apr ... e-goes.asp :blob

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:11pm - Oct 10,17 
Fishy Scent

Park District rule trumps State law..Always has always will.. Here is 1 example..Smelt fishing on Park District land is limited to 7pm to 2 am March 1st to April 30. Anywhere else along the lake its open 24 hours a day..If you wanted you could anchor your boat 20 feet off rocks along the lakefront and put out a smelt net at noon and you would be legal . The Park can and does limit access to almost all of its property in 1 form or another..You cant go to any of the harbors after a certain time, that is another rule that they control. If they wanted to close all of the launches along the lake they could..Lake Michigan is controlled by the FEDS..Here is 1 example of how they rule the lakefront..I use to anchor my boat on the breakwater by the lighthouse and walk the breakwall for perch and salmon and bass.. On Sept 13 2 days after 911 we were out walking the breakwall when we were approached by 3 boats, 2 were the Chicago Marine units and 1 was Homeland Security..I knew most of the marine units because they would park at Rockys all the time and did know a few of the officers . We were asked what we were doing walking the breakwall and replied fishing .We were told the the breakwall was closed because of security reasons..To this day you are still not allowed to fish off the breakwall.. The breakwall is controlled by the Army Core of Engineers { FEDS } .. A small group of us tried for years to get them to let us fish the area as we had done for 25 years but were told we could pose a threat to the water plant..We went to meetings and asked how we could pose this threat..Their reply was YOU COULD..I then asked how would they stop a large boat like the SEADOG loaded with explosives from going into the water plant, in my eyes a real threat and the response was WE CANT. In many cases there is no good reason for what they are doing but with no organized effort to fight it this will just get worse..

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:37am - Oct 11,17 
I wish that the city would designate just one harbor(Montrose) to be open 24 hours for fishing.
This way the police could concentrate on only one place.
Also to have clean washrooms.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:24pm - Oct 13,17 
buddylee

Those are good examples, and I am aware that the Great Lakes are federally regulated, but what gives the park district control of fishing regulations? Who would ticket you for smelt fishing outside the allotted time? Would the DNR? You're not breaking their laws. Are there any court decisions about this because I can't find anything about the park district rules trumping state law. From what I can make out (and I'm not saying I'm right) it would appear that the city has unlawful regulations that need to be challenged in court.

Quite a shame about the breakwall too. I also wonder why commercial vessels can enter the restricted area between the plant and Navy Pier but recreational vessels can't? Seems to be an arbitrary distinction, how could one pose a greater danger than the other?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:42pm - Oct 13,17 
I heard of people getting tickets last winter who were out trying to smelt fish. I think they got parking tickets for being parked after 11pm.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:03pm - Oct 13,17 
Fishy

The Park District only controls the TIME and AREAS you can fish not the bag or size limit.. Chicago PD can and WILL ticket you for any violations in Park district control..The DNR has more power than CPD and can write violations anywhere in the State be it public or private property.. I have seen tickets written for large open fires at Montrose, pulling nets in before 7pm. not releasing trout or salmon that were caught in smelt nets, keeping perch out of season, too many lines or nets as well as license violations . The DNR enforces the Park district rules when it comes to smelting and snagging when they are done on Park property.
I had a few email asking what if anything have these meeting done for the regular fisherman that use the lakefront.. Heres just a few that most have no idea about..

The only reason that there is discounted parking at Navy Pier is because a small group met many times with the old director of the Pier and worked out a deal..We explained that there is really no one using the area at that time and the Pier would be adding to its coffers if it allowed fisherman in early and gone by the time everything opens up..They tried it and it has worked so far..Some days there is over 100 cars in the lot for the fishermans special..

Ever wonder why Montrose is one of the only Park District areas with out parking meters... Old timers will remember that there use to be a drive that took you to the start on the Horseshoe where you could park and fish..When that was removed there were fights with the park for years by the fishing and birding groups that use the area and that was the results..FREE PARKING..

If you use the limited Parking passes available at Henrys for $10 bucks that allows you to park at 3 or 4 of the lakefront spots that is another agreement that was done by these groups..

Handicapped piers were worked out with Scott from Westrek as well as the yearly Fishermans launch pass.

There are many more examples...Show up at some of these meeting and learn more about how you can get involved in really making a difference and support the local baitshops.. If you would rather make a donation Perch America or Salmon Unlimited are very good choices.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Perch
Jump to: