Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:08pm - Oct 9,18 
Has anyone been out? Usually Ive heard a few reports by now. Due to work and a vacation I will not get out until October 14th or so. It looks like the weather will finally be decent for hunting. I have the same deer on camera that I've had all summer. A couple decent bucks but I think there are a few bigger ones I'd like to wait for.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:12am - Oct 10,18 
too warm for me. I'm waiting for cooler weather.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:20pm - Oct 10,18 
Been out twice on public near Chicagoland, haven’t seen a deer on the hoof yet. Headed to west central Illinois tomorrow for a few days to hunt a piece of public. I’m hoping for better results down there, especially with the colder weather forecasted.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:43pm - Oct 10,18 
Haven't been out either yet. Too warm for me to hunt my local spot plus when the acorns started falling my pictures pretty much stopped on my cell camera. It's at a creek crossing funnel and I legit have had no deer in the last 10 days, just a pair of swans and a couple coyotes. No reason for me to head out yet. My father usually hunts this spot with his crossbow but had shoulder surgery in early August and isn't quite back up to par yet. If deer start showing up with this cold front, I'll probably head out but the last month, its been all does and fawns and for me, I don't like shooting does with fawns, especially this early (just my preference). If any bucks show up I'll probably head out.

My West Central Illinois spot is just loaded with Acorns, and I mean loaded. Never seen so many in my life. Trail cameras from Mid august to Late September mainly had does and fawns with some small bucks. Not surprising though, thats the time frame we usually stop seeing bucks. With acorns falling and corn/beans to hide in they don't hit the food plots that much. I think we only had 2 or 3 bucks over 140" in that time frame but I do know there are 3 or 4 more out there and one we passed last year at around 140" that is probably close to 180" this year and I honestly think he may still be 3.5 but maybe 4.5. If I see him with a bow or gun in my hand, there is no passing him.

First year we've started to get bobcats consistently on camera as well. We all put in for bobcat tags this year so hoping someone draws and gets a look at him.

If anyone makes it out, please feel free to post a report. I think my first trip will be Halloween weekend. Only Thursday afternoon to Saturday Morning since the kids have a halloween party on our block. Good luck to all!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:16pm - Oct 10,18 
sat the opener and last Friday. only saw a doe and fawn on the opener. All my cams are showing nighttime movement still. Getting out tomorrow morning for a sit with this cold weather rolling in. fingers crossed for some movement.

Board index » Game Bag » Antlers
Jump to: