Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:30pm - Nov 29,17 
A little late posting this story but better late than never.

So went down to my usual spot in Central Illinois on the 5th for a week long hunt with my buddy. We've been hunting this land for about 8 years now and the more we hunt it the more we seem to understand deer movement.

First day of hunting for this trip was on the 5th and I'm not going to lie, with some ideal hunting conditions we expected to see a lot more. High pressure, blue skies and light winds made me think it was going to be a great week but the deer had other plans. The first three days we were seeing deer, just not the shooters we were looking for a bit lower numbers than normal. It wasn't that bad though since the weather was almost perfect for hunting. I did see a couple deer which I believed to be a few on our hit list but they were either in the thick stiff or a touch before shooting light.

Thursday AM I hunted a stand that we set up on a ridge this summer. Got in about 15 minutes before shooting light and was treated to a much better view than I thought. I could see two of our ag fields below us (80 or 90 foot elevation drop) and had a spectacular sunrise. I only wanted to hunted this stand with a leeward wind to try and catch a cruising buck looking for a doe. Instead, a little after sunrise I had a lone doe come in through some thick saplings and didnt spot her until she was 3 yards away. After a few minute stare down she walked about 20 yards from me broad side and let and arrow fly. She ran about 60 yards and I watched her fall. Over the next few hours I watched three other does come check her out and spook. I was happy just to have some meat in the freezer.

My buddy and I decided Thursday night that Friday would be our last day and head home a half day early. I have a 6 month and 26 month old so my wife wouldn't mind me coming home a day early at all! Friday AM we woke up early and got out to the woods only to see that the real feel was 9 degrees and with 5 solid days of hunting in our pocket, we were getting worn out. I think we took an extra few minutes to get ready and put the layers on. I decided to hunt a stand on a leeward side of a ridge with a cut bean field on one side and a ridge on the other. I missed a giant 8 point out of this stand last year with an East wind (leeward for this ridge) and with an east wind again I needed to try it again.

Didn't get to my stand until it was almost shooting light as well. I like getting to my stand around grey light, for some reason once I started doing that I have seen a lot more deer plus this stand is about 23 feet in the air so its a bit tough to get in to. After the hike in and a climb in I was set. About 15 minutes after I got in I had a nice 8 point jog across the cut bean field form a food plot. He made it to the ridge about 60 yards to my right and into an bedding area with only a few good glimpses of him. About 20 minutes later I look in front of me and out in the cut beans a doe and a fawn were walking fast about 40 yards from me. With the blue sky and the sun rising, it was a pretty site. When then made it out of my shooting lane I heard what I thought was some leaves wresting. We did have some wind that AM but the noise did sound like it wasn't wind. I somewhat dismissed it until out of the corner of my eye a big body deer with a good set of antlers comes running out. I didnt have much time to look at him but by the size of his body I knew he was mature and antlers looked good as well. I had a small shooting lane and when he made it to it I let out a loud "burrp" and he stopped in his tracks at 40 yards. I had to bend a bit to get under a branch and I felt solid with no "buck fever" so I let the arrow fly. I heard it hit and watched him run. The next 8 seconds were nerve wracking not knowing where the hit was. He ran about 50 yards, stopped, looked around and fell to the ground. I couldnt have been happier! It was the pinnacle of the week and made all the summer work worth it.

While I normally try and wait for my buddy so we can approach the deer on camera, I didnt want to wait 3 hours and since I knew the buck was down, I quickly scurried down the tree and over to my buck. He was a giant body buck that we had on camera 6 or so times over the last month. He had three separate brow tines a week before but had broken them off fighting in the last week. I could care less, he was a great buck.

He had a live weight of around 260 and was one of the more mature bucks we have on camera. Extremely happy with how far him and the doe went. Both were good shots but just switched to the schwacker broadheads and they did a number on both deer.

While my deer hunting is over for the year, it was a good one. Even got my first wild pheasant in Nebraska last weekend while visiting my inlaws, not a pad year at all, a buck and a pheasant for the wall!

I still can't figure out pictures on this website, I tried to rotate this but its says I have insufficient privileges. I'd keep trying but it frustrates me more and more!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:24pm - Nov 29,17 
A very nice looking deer, congrats. As the kids get older it can be a little easier to go out hunting. Then take the kids with you and the wife will not complain at all.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:41am - Nov 30,17 
Man great write up!....and awesome buck...one if the guys on admin. side will fix....Tom or Ryan....thanx for sharing...be well mike

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:24pm - Nov 30,17 
Hell yeah BigB! Congrats on a great buck and thanks for sharing the story as well!

Here's your pic properly rotated:

Formerly Anchor Management
Montrose Harbor
Channel 7
-----------------------------------------------------------

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:02pm - Dec 1,17 
Congrats on a successful hunt man ! Great picture to go along with it. I’ve never been much of a hunter but a buddy of mine is picking up an interest in hunting and I volunteered to tag along. So hopefully within the next couple of years we’ll end up with some venison!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:13pm - Dec 2,17 
Nice buck. Thanks for your posts, throughout the season.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:27pm - Dec 2,17 
Nice buck and better write up!

Board index » Game Bag » Antlers
Jump to: