Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:58pm - Oct 18,17 
Made what will probably be the last trip to the farm prior to hunting season. Seeing the once again dismal food plot growth due to drought and weeds (Fox Tail) and now the word of possible EHD on adjacent farms, we are not optimistic. Pictures on our cameras that we now leave up year round, have shown that there are multiple twin births from our does, and the hopes of our heard making a come back seemed realistic.

Drought has once again been our nemesis. Last trip we took in July had the trees and brush along the dirt roads covered in dust, killing most growth near them. We killed plots at that time and replanted, hoping the rains would come. They didn't. We made one last effort for turnips in September, and not even a sprout has taken. Last two weeks have produced rains of 3 inches and 5 inches. Too much, too late. :cuss

While our farmer was cutting his CRP, he ran over a large 8 point that actually punctured his back tire on the tractor. Speaking to some of the surrounding farmers, he has heard that there have been multiple bucks found dead near water sources. This scares the hell out of me. Our heard has been down for the last three years. We have passed on the does, with hopes of a come back. I don't think it looks good.

We did go down to set up for the season, and finished our 4th home made hut on the property. Seeing what the Shadow Blinds and Redneck Blinds go for, I think we are saving money by building these, but when you factor in food and beer......maybe not. :oops:

When it is raining or winds blowing 30 plus, you couldn't buy this from us for a million.

If there aren't going to be deer around, might as well be comfortable.

We know there are still some around.

We have done what we can to provide them food, now we just have to see how it plays out.

Best part of this is I'm not doing this solo. AJ was able to make the trip in from school in Iowa to help out with finishing the hut, and was able to spend some time in the stand with the bow. Saw does, and passed, but was able to hunt for a morning. Doing the work and hunting with the boys makes this all worth while.

Hopefully the next deer picture is vertical, and not horizontal. :sgt

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:24pm - Oct 18,17 
The dry weather has definetly been brutal. I was down in Fulton County a few weeks ago and it was bone dry, crops still looked somewhat decent though. They really need the rain they got over the last week though, it should help all of our food plots for the late fall and winter.

It seemed like we also had a really good fawn crop as well. Lots of doubles and a couple triples as well but we always have a couple triplets. This is one of the reasons we try and shoot dry or solo does, if they are fawnless and not hot, most likely they didnt have doubles or triples. We didnt get hit by EHD too bad in the past though, we have a two very long rock bottom creeks as well as two springs that empty into those creeks so we always have water. Somehow another spring just popped up with more water than it ever had right next to one of the ag fields. It prevented about an acre from being planted as well. We do have some good bucks on camera, probably 6 or so good shooters, I'm still looking for that 170 plus buck that we seem to get every year but not yet. A GIANT 8 point that I missed last year has showed back up. He didnt put on much size from last year but he's pushing into the 160s. An absolute giant.

I dont hunt out of blinds as much as I used to in Michigan but we still have a few. Two are grain wagons that we turned into blinds. We love them, they are big and can removed with a truck/tractor anywhere we want. One thing I recommend is to tint the windows. Then, in brutal weather, you aren't "silhouetted" at all. The tint hides all the movement inside but still lets in all the light. One of the best things that we have done. Only costs a few extra dollars as well.

Headed down a week from friday for a PM hunt and then all day saturday and come back saturday night. The following week though I should be there Saturday to Saturday. Can't wait!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:25am - Oct 19,17 
How easy or hard was it to make that blind. It looks like just paint some wood and put the tin roof on top on an angle.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:04pm - Oct 19,17 
Theboy160 wrote:
How easy or hard was it to make that blind. It looks like just paint some wood and put the tin roof on top on an angle.

This is the fourth one we have built. It gets easier and easier. Inside framing for the Plexiglas windows was the last thing we did. Just takes time and money to buy the treated lumber. We still use pop up in some areas, but when it is a full blown rain, this is what you want to be in.

Tom

Twin Fins

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:05am - Oct 20,17 
Nice blind there, Tom! I've hunted out of blinds like that up in Michigan but we don't have anything like that at our spot in Indiana (yet). Good luck to both you and BigB this year.

I got out to the farm in Indiana last week and, so far, the best thing I've seen is 2 does each with 2 fawns. Great to see that since the last 3 years have been very lean on numbers. In fact, they finally reduced the bonus antlerless quota in our county from 8 to 4, so it seems as thought he state is finally ready to admit the doe slaughter has had an effect. Nothing good on the cameras yet and not a lot of sign around. Still a lot of corn up but I hope things pick up. Will be trying for some geese tomorrow morning then looking for a shooter the rest of the weekend.

Formerly Anchor Management
Montrose Harbor
Channel 7
-----------------------------------------------------------

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:36am - Oct 21,17 
I haven't been seeing much on the camera so far this season. I'll get a sporadic buck but they just aren't moving. However tonight I did get a couple new bucks on camera and I saw a few in the field nearby at night. I hope with this upcoming cold front they start moving a little more.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Buffalo Grove, 21' Cruiser's Inc. Bonanza, Mercruiser 165 "Blue Dog II"

Post Posted: 08:22am - Oct 21,17 
How far is your drive to the farm, Tom? Curious how often you get out there to work on preparations? I'm trying to decide how far is too far as I search for another property. Your blind is awesome!! And yes, when its blowing 30, there's nothing better!! Reminds me, I kinda still need to add windows to my Wisconsin one!! (Too late for this year....again)

Due to a mathematical mistake on roof computations, this years blind at my Illinois location is much taller than planned--but I actually like it this way!!

I haven't seen much on the cameras either, this year. My food plots were all washed out after the flood. I had a corn plot and clover plot. I replanted with a new clover field and a second field is a mix of turnips and radishes. both are coming in nicely. I may get out later today, but with the weather changing, will plan to get there next week for sure.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:44pm - Oct 22,17 
deerhuntre wrote:
How far is your drive to the farm, Tom? Curious how often you get out there to work on preparations? I'm trying to decide how far is too far as I search for another property. Your blind is awesome!! And yes, when its blowing 30, there's nothing better!! Reminds me, I kinda still need to add windows to my Wisconsin one!! (Too late for this year....again)

Due to a mathematical mistake on roof computations, this years blind at my Illinois location is much taller than planned--but I actually like it this way!!

I haven't seen much on the cameras either, this year. My food plots were all washed out after the flood. I had a corn plot and clover plot. I replanted with a new clover field and a second field is a mix of turnips and radishes. both are coming in nicely. I may get out later today, but with the weather changing, will plan to get there next week for sure.

We hunt Pike county, just outside Pittsfield. It's about a 3 1/2 hour ride. We usually do 4 to 5 trips through out the year to do work or plant. It's been hectic with the boys in college. Still need to get the boat pulled in the next week or so. :doh

Nothing wrong with a tall roof. Hell, I'd be duck hunting out of that blind.

Tom

Twin Fins

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:04am - Oct 23,17 
[quote]I dont hunt out of blinds as much as I used to in Michigan but we still have a few. Two are grain wagons that we turned into blinds. We love them, they are big and can removed with a truck/tractor anywhere we want. One thing I recommend is to tint the windows. Then, in brutal weather, you aren't "silhouetted" at all. The tint hides all the movement inside but still lets in all the light. One of the best things that we have done. Only costs a few extra dollars as well

deerviewwindows.com
Find us on Facebook

About Us
Products
Events
Testimonials
Contact Us

«
»
Where Visibility Matters

Thank you for considering DeerView Window Co. for your deer stand window needs. We strive to be the best in providing quality products for all hunting enthusiast.

At DeerView Window Co. we manufacture windows solely for the use in deer stand and deer blind applications. The goal of DeerView Window Company is to be the best in the industry in providing visibility to your hunt. All of our windows and doors can be custom made to fit your specific openings or you can select from our standard sizes. Check out our product pages to determine which style of window is best for your particular blind’s needs and let Deer View give you a free quote.

Our current manufacturing time on all orders is 25 business days. Please feel free to email/call at anytime to check your status.

Download Our Brochure

Copyright © 2014 deerviewwindows.com

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:25am - Oct 23,17 
Those huts look sweet. Here's hoping for a successful hunt :skeet

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:39pm - Oct 28,17 
Just finished a three day hunt in south central IL. Nothing came in to crossbow range but I am Really looking forward to gun season. I can not remember of ever seeing deer like I did this trip. I averaged seeing thirty deer each night. Small bucks chasing does, big bucks roaming around and does everywhere. I haven't hunted October in years so maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know. Even though I didn't get a shot off the show was awesome. Add in a couple flocks of turkeys and a bobcat staring at me for a few minutes from 40 yards away it was great. Can't wait to get back to it.

Board index » Game Bag » Antlers
Jump to: