Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:02am - Sep 13,17 
I seen something yesterday about the governor signing a bill to allow full season cross bow IN ILLINOIS did anyone else see this or was it just BS

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:30am - Sep 13,17 
True. Crossbows for everyone during archery season.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:13pm - Sep 13,17 
I saw the same thing and have been wondering if he signed it . I haven't been able to find anything stating that it has went into effect.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:47pm - Sep 13,17 
https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/news/Pages ... asons.aspx

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:48pm - Sep 13,17 
Yep, they are allowed now. It was going to being enacted whether he signed it or not, I think him signing it was just a way to make it "official" to the media. A lot of people aren't happy but personally I don't mind too much. I did some research on harvest numbers in Michigan and Wisconsin when they passed the law there and it really had no effect on harvest numbers. It seems like most people just put down their compound and picked up a cross bow. I did see a few 30 somethings in Bass Pro looking at them with the sales clerk the other day. It was like the blind leading the blind listening to them.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:30pm - Sep 13,17 
Indiana went that way a few years back. Same thng many put down their bows and went to crossbows. Never affected kill numbers. It is away to get a youngster on a deer for archery season.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:22am - Sep 14,17 
I think it was a very good move i started playing with cross bow a few years back hunting in wisconsin and really liked it something different to play with thats for sure

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:38am - Sep 14,17 
The only thing I'm not a fan of when it comes to cross bows is the feeling you can make a 50+ yard shot. I've talked to a few guys who use cross bows and it seems like they always like to tell me they can shoot a deer at 60 or 75 yards. I'm sure you can while at the range but that is a bit of a stretch when the deer can move.

I'm sure there are bow hunters (and gun) that take shots that are too far as well. In either case you just have to know your equipment and take ethical shots.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:05am - Sep 14,17 
Yea i've heard some of this before. Maybe they can shoot that long at a range in the middle of the day with good light. I have hunted deer with archercy equipment for around 40 years now. I went to a crossbow years ago due to a disability. Equipment in that time has changed greatly. What hasn't changed is how much cover there is when your hunting inside the woods. My shots are still the same range, 30 yards and less. Hopefully 20yards. Low light conditions still make it hard to shoot much further then that. With the addition of spreader heads like the rage 2 blade, tracking deer are easier with most dropping still within eye sight of the stand. If you have a younster that you take with you, a crossbow makes a nice way of getting them started at an early age. I was against crossbows along time ago, but after haveing to go that route I see that there isn't really any difference. To the better, it may get some to make a more accurate shot placement, less wounded deer is always a plus.Young hunters can use them another plus.

Last edited by Donna Marie on 09:30am - Sep 14,17, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:26am - Sep 14,17 
Theboy160 wrote:
The only thing I'm not a fan of when it comes to cross bows is the feeling you can make a 50+ yard shot. I've talked to a few guys who use cross bows and it seems like they always like to tell me they can shoot a deer at 60 or 75 yards. I'm sure you can while at the range but that is a bit of a stretch when the deer can move.

I'm sure there are bow hunters (and gun) that take shots that are too far as well. In either case you just have to know your equipment and take ethical shots.

Get a Raven!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... tion=click

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:07am - Sep 16,17 
I'm 60 yrs old and THAT was 2 yrs. out of the last X-Bow age requirement . My shoulder really is hurtin me , and I was wonderin weather I could even pull my bow ,,, I'm still gonna try to use my compound ( Mathiews ) , but If I can't pull it ,, at least , now , I'm not sidelined till Dec.

Good Luck and Safe Trips ,,, >>---}->

Board index » Game Bag » Antlers
Jump to: