Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:05pm - Jan 25,17 
Has anyone noticed that we are not seeing many deer around the Forest Preserves? I believe they have been taking out to many deer and never considered for the diseases going around CWD, EHD, that have also been taking out the population. They need to stop before we loose our herds. They should take more effort in baiting and sharpshooting the coyotes which also take out the fawns. Coyotes are more out of control then the deer!!! I have seen dump trucks dropping off the deer from the FP's to the processors and it's rediculous!!! Literally trucks full. :noway

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:22pm - Jan 25,17 
Limitout wrote:
I have seen dump trucks dropping off the deer from the FP's to the processors and it's rediculous!!! Literally trucks full. :noway

I would love to see a photo of a FP truck dropping deer off at a processor. I have a hard time believing that.

I see deer at least 2-3 times a week on my property. I also know they visit the feed I put out several times a week.

2 weeks ago one was watching TV through the window over my shoulder.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:43am - Jan 26,17 
>2 weeks ago one was watching TV through the window over my shoulder.<

What kind of TV shows are the deer interested in ? My dog used to be interested in dog shows with barking.

Support Staff

Post Posted: 09:22am - Jan 26,17 
I live adjacent to a Lake County FP. Last year I had tons of deer in my yard, almost daily. This year I have seen maybe 2 different deer. Not sure if they culled hard or other situation.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:47am - Jan 26,17 
Looks to me that they could fill up a truck or 2.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/d ... story.html

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:51am - Jan 26,17 
Lake County was definitely culling deer this year. Had a buddy with the signs posted between his property and the FP.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:53am - Jan 26,17 
Too bad these counties don't take McHenry's lead and allow hunters the opportunity to take the deer. At least then they'd have a possibility of generating profit rather than pay to have the deer taken.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:10pm - Jan 26,17 
Doesn't make sense to me. I think they get $125.00 per deer, most shot at night with rifles equipped with silencers over bait. At least thats the way it was in northern Indiana.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:02pm - Jan 26,17 
I usually get deer all winter in my yard but this year I just don't see them. I usually see tracks in the snow maybe 4 or 5 a night. This year, I saw maybe 5-8 trails all year. We have not had the snow yet like past winters. Don't hear the coyotes either this year ?? My 10pm coyotes calls off the front porch are not working this year.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:31pm - Jan 26,17 
The trucks I have seen at the processor have been from DuPage County. It just seems like overkill to me. I use to bowhunt around arrgonne labritories before they started the sharpshooting, after they did start it was like a ghost town. I wish they would do that with coyotes and give the deer a break..

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:10pm - Jan 26,17 
I agree, disagree, and can provide you with some insight.

I agree that the deer population in the FP is not the same as it was 20 years ago. I use to go for a walk and easily see 20-30 deer and now I'm lucky to see any. I don't like that they shoot as many as they do but the people making those decisions have deeper pockets than me.

I disagree that there are no more deer out there. I have 2 spots next to the FP and my trail cam shows deer all of the time and I routinely kill deer there. You have to be there at the right time and put forth the effort needed and you can still get them. Both bucks I shot this year came from my spots next to the FP.

My insight is they kill about 12-15 each night and they will bring them to a building to test the deer. After taking the samples they need the deer are transported to the butcher to be processed. So dump truck no, pickup truck, yes. The will also shoot whatever is at the bait pile regardless of size or sex.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:15pm - Jan 26,17 
Hey Pannie, Please tell us more about McHenry allowing opportunity to hunt deer in there forest preserves? Wich brings up another question how much would some of you be willing to pay to hunt forest preserves? AS we all know there are some HUGE bucks roaming in thoes woods,untouchd,unpressured!!! Prety much trophy hunting i would pay 300$+ to have a opportunity to get a wall hanger from the local preserve!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:40pm - Jan 26,17 
Haven't seen many in Cook since the chronic wasting disease started several years back.
I know they're culling in Dupage by Waterfall Glen. Signs are up stating so. Noticed some
seriously red snow before the melt.

Maybe culling deer is part of the wild life restoration projects that have been going on the
last few years. With all the clearing of non-natives, and half dead forests in Cook county,
they're trying to reach a balance of wild life and food sources.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:22pm - Jan 26,17 
Although I did not participate personally in a culling program. I was employed by a FP as an officer for almost two years. As such, I can tell you the there is a significant amount of time and effort put forth by those involved in that process. And, it is a significant amount of work in both preparation and on a daily basis once they start the process. All deer taken by the sharpshooters are transported to a facility for field dressing and testing for CWD. Samples are provided for analysis, and then the deer are given to local food pantries. I also agree that it would be nice if there was a process in place to allow hunting to accomplish that task as well, but I don't see that occurring in my area. I have seen no decline in the deer population in the area that I hunt which is in close proximity to a FP as well.

Lt.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:58pm - Jun 27,17 
Will county FP is taking application from public for sharpshooters. Go to their website to apply

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:27pm - Jun 27,17 
Colddriver, Mchenry has been doing it for many years both bow and shotgun. From what I remember they started the program because they were in jeopardy of loosing funding from habit stamps as they were miss appropriating the money for other projects that did not relate to hunting. Its been a number of years since I did it but for archery you need to qualify with 4 out of 5 arrows on a paper plate at 20 yrds. For shotgun they have stakes in the woods with numbers that you have to hunt within a 100 yrds circle of the stake. You can only hunt out of a tree stand. When I was doing it you had to shoot a doe first. Archery you get a spot for 1 week or a month by lottery, I can't remember. Its hit or miss you can a good spot or not. I'm sure there is plenty of info online.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:39am - Jun 28,17 
A very interesting clip about Coyotes and how trying to get rid of them has only made things much worse.

https://youtu.be/ZSgI9XToqI0

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:14am - Jun 28,17 
McHenry County has a Deer program as well as a Waterfowl program. The below links are a good starting point if you're interested.

http://www.mccdistrict.org/rccms/deer-hunting/

http://www.mccdistrict.org/rccms/waterfowl-hunting/

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:23pm - Jun 28,17 
About 5 years ago I did a ton of research on that program. I mean aerial maps, scouting, harvest reports, etc and it wasn't as great as I thought. They allow a lot of people to gun hunt the bigger preserves and you need to get a good spot. You can't play the wind at all since you have to be next to a marker. If you don't have a place to hunt, it could be a good option but its tough hunting, especially for gun. If you get lucky, you might be able to draw a good spot. When it comes to bow, if you shoot 5 does (I believe) you get your money back so everyone is looking to shoot everything they can. It looks like with their averages, you have to sit 40 to 100 hours per deer harvested, even in firearm season. I think the first year or two it was a great program but now its getting much tougher.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:21pm - Jun 28,17 
Very interesting video on the coyotes!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Game Bag » Antlers
Jump to: