Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:59pm - Jan 23,17 
Just wondering if anyone has been out looking for sheds yet? Any luck? I was out just walking and saw a lot of doe but no bucks

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:10pm - Jan 23,17 
There are a few dropping. I also have seen recent pictures of local deer with racks still on.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:21pm - Jan 23,17 
I usually wait until at least Late February or March. Seems like a lot of the bucks around us hold until at least late February and with how light this winter has been they aren't too stressed. We do find them in January here and there but we usually wait until March. My buddy just bought a dog with a great bloodline for blood trailing wounded deer as well as shed antlers. She is still under 8 months but can trail blood for about 500 yards with no problem (we kept the blood from the deer we shot this year) so were hoping she has some luck with antlers. She sure loves playing with them!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:58pm - Jan 23,17 
I haven't had too much luck on finding them so far this year, but I've got some nice deer pics while looking this past weekend.

http://www.teamtriggerfinger.com/apps/f ... ?page=last

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:54pm - Jan 24,17 
My rule of thumb is after Valentines Day

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:02pm - Jan 24,17 
had 2 bucks with racks out back tonight and checked deer cam on Saturday......still got horns. looked for about an hour did not find anything yet.
getting nice coon and coyote pics on the cam too.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:58am - Jan 27,17 
Seen one little 6er with one horn last week.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:28am - Jan 29,17 
I saw a 6 ptr . with full headgear , and another Larger bodied Buck with holes , yesterday , The bigger buck had a Rt. Rear Leg injury of some sort and was limping .

Good Luck and Safe Trips

Walldady

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:09pm - Feb 4,17 
Went out today and walked about 4 miles. Found 4 sets of bones all doe and no sheds

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:00am - Feb 7,17 
I found my first big match set of the season on Dec 27th this year.

Walk early, and walk often. Guys go nuts during shed season, and every inch of woods will get pounded. If you wait too long to get out you will be left cleaning up the scraps!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:37am - Feb 7,17 
We don't seem to have a problem with shed hunters trespassing, we find them in food plots and such weeks after they have fallen off. It's the Mushroom hunters that are the ones that seem to trespassing more than anyone. Good thing is we have a neighbor that lives on his land and drives by ours going to his house all day long. He has caught a few people over the years and it's not a pleasant sight when he catches them. I'm thinking word has gotten out and people only risk going afternoon mushrooms but my buddy still finds a good amount where we hunt.

If you are shed hunting on public land, I could see that being hit hard. As a kid I used to walk the woods looking for deer in forest preserves and would stumble upon shed every time out. That was before there was a market for them and they were more just squirrel chew toys.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:01pm - Feb 7,17 
BigB wrote:
We don't seem to have a problem with shed hunters trespassing, we find them in food plots and such weeks after they have fallen off. It's the Mushroom hunters that are the ones that seem to trespassing more than anyone. Good thing is we have a neighbor that lives on his land and drives by ours going to his house all day long. He has caught a few people over the years and it's not a pleasant sight when he catches them. I'm thinking word has gotten out and people only risk going afternoon mushrooms but my buddy still finds a good amount where we hunt.

If you are shed hunting on public land, I could see that being hit hard. As a kid I used to walk the woods looking for deer in forest preserves and would stumble upon shed every time out. That was before there was a market for them and they were more just squirrel chew toys.

Are you allowed to take sheds from a forest preserve?

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:11pm - Feb 7,17 
Not in Will County.

Lt.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:19pm - Feb 8,17 
I believe you are prohibited from taking ANYTHING out of the Cook Co. Forest Preserves . Except fish .

Saw a 6pt. , a 1/2 rack , and a BIG 10pt. with Headgear yesterday..

Good Luck and Safe Trips ,,,, Walldady

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:50pm - Feb 8,17 
Nope, can't take them off there. I used to stumble upon them as a kid but never really had much of use for them but I'll admit 25 to 30 years ago I took a few off. You'll still get a lot of people that walk forest preserves for mushroom and antlers. I stopped walking forest preserves in the late spring a few years ago trying to take deer pictures. I was running into too many camps of people trying to live off the grid on forest preserve land and saw some quite interesting things going on. I figured out it was people coming into Chicago working summer jobs and just living in tents for the summer. I'd rather make the 3 hour drive down to deer camp and spend the time scouting there. Hoping to make it down there soon to do a bit of scouting and figure out a couple new stand spots and maybe stumble on an antler o two.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:47pm - Feb 9,17 
went on a shed hunt on buddies property in NW burbs seen 2 bucks (2 8 pts.) still haven't shed yet, guess ill have to wait a couple weeks.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:14am - Feb 11,17 
I must have walked up to the Buck Brotherhood mtg. yesterday . I saw 9 Bucks from , I believe , the 1/2 Rack again , to 2 BIG 10+ pts.... OBVIOUSLY all still with Headgear ,,,,,, THAT was cool to see ,,,,, only 1 Doe in the mix ,,, maybe a Buck with holes ,,,, I couldn't tell ,,,

[IMG]http://www.chitown-angler.com/pichosting/albums/userpics

The one on the right had Lg. Holes in his head ... ,,, THESE were a couple days ago ,,,,

Good Luck and Safe Trips ,,,, Walldady

PS ,,,, Lil Help on the pic please ,,,,

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:27pm - Feb 11,17 
You may be missing the last IMG for the picture. It's at the end, I think

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:22am - Feb 12,17 
maybe this will work

http://www.chitown-angler.com/pichostin ... 42141.jpeg

http://www.chitown-angler.com/pichostin ... 42141.jpeg

Board index » Game Bag » Antlers
Jump to: