Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:30pm - Dec 4,16 
Just discovered the "Scott Rea Project" on you tube. Absolutely STUNNING (inside joke that will make sense if you watch his videos) recipes and video instruction. Butchering of game from fur, fins and feathers. Also shows beef and pork butchery. Self taught in the kitchen but a career butcher of some 28 years if I recall correctly. Skinning knife to steak knife. Just made the haunch pie using steaks from the bottom round of my deer. MMMMMMMMMMMM SHO is GOOOOOOOD!!!!!!! While their deer are considerably smaller in the UK and some of their food/culinary lingo needs some interpret ting or translation, he is spot on. Check it out. Ill add more as I continue to reach into my freezer through out the coming months. I know this belongs in the food for thought forum but I wanted to be sure many of you get a crack at his talent. Ill post this in the other forum as well.
Bon Appetite!!!!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:58pm - Jan 6,17 
Last week I tried the pan seared steak. I give it an 8 out of 10. I'd drop his cooking time by about 1/2 once you remove the pan from the heat. Letting the meat rest as noted is also a must. Dont jump the gun. Let those babies rest under foil or a dome for the full 10 min. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with the recipe as written, I prefer my venison steak a bit more rare than they turned out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpKfO6onH6E

Next up will be the meatballs with paprika.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:01pm - Jan 6,17 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhqZyknr2WE

This week I tried the venison meatballs with sour cream and paprika. Another winner with these suggestions: I had 14 oz of venison whereas the recipe called for 11oz (300gr). One egg seemed to make for a very wet meatball mixture so I added 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs and it worked great. Double tomatoes to a 15oz can and add about 8-10 oz beef stock and simmer sauce down to thicken before returning meat balls to sauce. No quantity stated in the video for the paprika. I'd go with 2 teaspoons in the meat balls and 1 or 2 more in your sauce if you like a bit more heat. Serve over a wide egg noodle. Loved this one.

Next week...Venison Wellington (venny welly)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:28am - Jan 7,17 
Nice! Try the neck bone soup next time.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:39pm - Jan 7,17 
choupiquer wrote:
Nice! Try the neck bone soup next time.

This one with lamb? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA04YGfDF4U

Yeah. It's also now on my list.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:50am - Jan 8,17 
Yeah, but substitute the lamb wit venison.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:28pm - Jan 8,17 
You boys are making me hungry.......might have to defrost some venison this week.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:45pm - Jan 9,17 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhkzZwLgQ-Q

Venison Wellington. Just polished off a plate with sides of roasted fingerling potatoes and cauliflower. This recipe is a home run!!!! Put it together as shown, it's perfect! And easy. The only thing missing was a nice Merlot and a molten chocolate cake as dessert for my wife. Seriously the ingredients work. I did take a liberty with the cooking time. Placed it in a 400 degree oven for 20, not 25. Removed it, brushed once more with egg wash and back in for the recommended 10 min.
(Flash/lighting on the middle picture doesn't do the dish justice. The color of the meat is more pink and accurately represented in the 3rd pic)

BON APPETIT ladies and gentlemen.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:02pm - Jan 10,17 
Wow!!!! That one looks like a winner.

Well done, and thanks for sharing.

Tom

Twin Fins

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:23pm - Jan 20,17 
Venison pot pie part doe. or is that part deux?

A little over a month ago, I made the venison pot pie that lead to my lead post to this thread. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgmicsUfUIQ
Actually I made three. Just the wife and I ate one. Gave one to the neighbors. And I covered pie number three, unbaked, with foil and threw it in the freezer. Took it out 2 days ago. After a quick brush of egg wash right into the 420 degree oven this evening and 20 minutes later (add a 10 minute rest) is was a pie full of deliciousness all over again. My point is they freeze well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:04am - Jan 21,17 
Great job on the Wellington! Is that chopped mushrooms between the crust and the venison? Nice.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:15pm - Jan 21,17 
choupiquer wrote:
Great job on the Wellington! Is that chopped mushrooms between the crust and the venison? Nice.

At the risk of sounding too fancy, the chopped mushrooms are a collaboration of ingredients combined to create a duxelles. The duxelles is then spread across a sheet of prosciutto into which you roll the back strap then all is wrapped by your puff pastry. Duxelles really is nothing more than finely chopped mushrooms sauteed in butter with garlic and shallots. I added red wine in mine.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:28pm - Jan 28,17 
Thanks for sharing. Will have to try to cookup some venison.
Man i'm hungry now.

Board index » Game Bag » Antlers
Jump to: