Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:35am - Jan 11,16 
Since I didn't get out as much as I had hoped this season I took advantage of having nothing to do yesterday to spend some time in the woods, may also try to get out next weekend to close out the season. Still looking for my first archery deer. Took a shot on a nice sized doe earlier in the season(Nov. 1st) but missed, I'm blaming a tree branch :? . Have seen a bunch of other deer throughout the season, some out of range, some spooked. Saw 1 doe yesterday. It was cold in the woods but definitely cool to be out there after a fresh snow, was able to see all the fresh deer and coyote tracks.

How did everyone else do?? Is anyone still at it??

Alex

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:19am - Jan 11,16 
2 does on the season with a bow still looking to fill that buck tag been out lately past few weeks and plan on hunting hard the last week here unless we get some safe ice for fishing should be a good time to be out the cold should have them on their feet good luck!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:36am - Jan 11,16 
I'm done for the year. I'll take the bow out for coyotes in my suburb spot but I've taken 2 this year so I decided to hang it up for the year. Most of my recent pictures the deer are nocturnal so Im going to watch them grow and look forward to next year. I've got 3 decent bucks and a few does on camera so I'll wait for next year.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:03pm - Jan 11,16 
Going down Thursday thru Sunday. Archery for us in Fayette co. No late season antlerless only any more. Room for one in my freezer. Trophy bucks still popping on our trail cams. Looking forward to it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:36am - Jan 13,16 
Hi aka-fishcatcher,

I'm hoping to be in the stand this week a couple more times before the season ends. Love deer hunting when the snow is on the ground in January. The last two weeks I've been out a few times and have been seeing a lot of deer. There is one good 10 point I'm hunting on the farm had him within 15 yards of me twice this season but had tree branches in the way both times.

Harvested two deer so far this season. Both of them on the same afternoon. 13 point buck and a doe the afternoon of October 5th. With two deer in the freezer I spent most of the limited time I've had to hunt this year on waterfowl, but still would like to put one more in the freezer.

Good luck to you on your first archery deer!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:36am - Jan 13,16 
Thanks for the responses guys. Good to hear everyone's successes. This is my second season hunting, pretty much learning on my own. Perked my dad's interest with my stories of being out there hunting so now he's taken up the hobby as well..two heads are better than one. We hunt public land and are both still after our first archery deer. Having two seasons in the woods now I've learned quite alot, especially about how the deer are moving through the areas we hunt. Whether it's this weekend or next season, I'll post my first one when I get it.....Its only a matter of time now!

Alex

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:27am - Jan 13,16 
I was out at Midewin Monday afternoon and I had to see at least 15 deer. A couple in bow range but no bucks.

I love hunting in the snow. It would have been nice to have more than a few days of it this season.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:39am - Jan 13,16 
just curious which public land you guys using trying around here not much luck. :thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:28pm - Jan 13,16 
Earlyfisher87

I'm by nooo means an expert...haven't even tagged one yet. But from what I've seen on the public land within a few hours from Chicago is that there are deer at all of them. These deer are highly pressured and very smart. Scout a lot and think outside of the box and you'll start seeing deer. If you're seeing deer, but not killing deer its probably the hunters fault. For example.... location, or a deflected shot(which is what happened to me), scent, movement, noise, etc. I think a lot of hunters get fed up with public land and stick to private land once they find some. But I've talked to plenty of hunters that have good success on public land after spending LOTS of time out there figuring out what works for them. Boots on the ground. So whichever land you are partial to or have history on, stick to it, and know it well. There's my best advice....from the guy that hasn't tagged one yet..lol 8)~

Alex

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:58am - Jan 14,16 
Midewin and Hiedecke are both overrun with doe. Couple that with the fact you can see miles at Midewin if you don't "see" deer there's a problem lol

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:28am - Jan 15,16 
46 degrees. Light s/sweet breeze showers passing. Plan is to drop one today before the weekend deep freeze returns. Then on to season's end "house keeping" on the land.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:59am - Jan 15,16 
Well I just finished up my 2015 deer season. Just climb down out of my tree for the last time this year. I passed on a small six pointer(that i called in with primos buck roar,firts time ever) October 12th because there was much larger deer on trail cam now I regret not taking that 31 yard shot as I have an empty freezer going into 2016. Was my first year ever being able to hunt private property lots of nice bucks on the trail cams but just couldn't get it done!!! GOOD LUCK TO ALL GOING OUT THIS WEEWEEKEND

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:01pm - Jan 15,16 
Not sure if this is OK to post, if not, please delete.

I've learned a lot about public hunting and pressure public land called "the hunting beast" (google it and you'll find it). Its guys that hunt heavily hunted public land in the midwest and kill some huge mature bucks. It has personally really helped me even though I hunt private at the moment. You can find these bucks and deer you just need to think a little bit outside the box. Its amazing the little things I've learned that I kick myself for not thinking of over the last couple years!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:03am - Jan 18,16 
I was lucky enough to get permission to put a stalk on some does yesterday afternoon by an unbelievably accommodating farmer in central IL. I wasn't able to get perfectly down-wind of the deer on my stalk, but I got as down-wind as possible and started my way through the woods. The deer were grazing the edge of the corner of a cornfield and the woods about 150yds from where I parked. The wind helped with covering the noise from my foot steps, but seemed to keep switching directions or swirling. I got to about 27yds when one of the does caught my wind or something. I stood still for what seemed like five minutes before she calmed down and went back to feeding. Once she put her head back down, I ranged her, drew back, set my pin, and let one fly. Unfortunately, she heard my bow or saw some movement because she ducked my arrow so low that she left a chest impression in the snow. I think the shot was an inch or so higher than I wanted, but would have been a double lung hit if she hadn't moved. It was my first shot at a deer with my bow on my first outing with the bow. What a rush, I didn't even feel the cold until after I retrieved my arrow. I feel like one lucky hunter this year. Two days hunting deer equaling less than 3 hours hunting, and I had shots both times out. Only 9 more months before I can start "putting in the time."

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:53am - Jan 28,16 
Maybe I just have a bad taste in my mouth from the local public hunting tough saying. Killed many deer on public land though. I'd say head to the east side of midewin if anything. Not many crops on the west side of 53, they eat hedge apples. The lack of corn and beans seems to give them a funny taste and spiny antlers IMO. Plenty of quality public land along the illinois river as well if you head a little west. IMO

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:47am - Jan 28,16 
We are actually fortunate to have some really awesome public hunting ground in this state. The further you get from Chicago the better it gets, but we still have some great opportunities around here.

I think the most frustrating thing about hunting public land around here are the massive crowds of wing nut hunters. From guys sky busting at every bird they see within 200yds, to the guy who walks in to the woods an hour after sunrise... crashing through the woods like sasquatch, to "spot and stalk" deer right under your stand.

There are enough places you can go to get away from the crowds, but you're going to have to work harder for it. One thing is for sure. There is no shortage of deer on our local public sites.

Board index » Game Bag » Antlers
Jump to: