Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:01pm - Nov 30,15 
Sorry for the late report, been busy since the opener. Boys and I made it down for the opener along with our usual group of hunters. Weather on Friday was perfect, and the woods were loaded with deer. Most of us saw at least 8 deer for the morning set, just not much in size, and not a lot of chasing going on. Plan was to pass on does, and only take bucks for the opening weekend. That lasted until about 10 am Friday. :rotflmao First doe taken by one of the hunters who has gone O fer the last 2 years. Mature doe will make that freezer a little cheaper to keep cold.

Saturday it rained in the morning, with snow coming down sideways. The youngsters hunted, with not much of any movement happening. Saturday evening our first buck was taken by Jack at around 4.

Big body 7 pointer that went the full 8 feet of the pick up. Had to be a 4 year old deer.

Second buck taken by Mike just before last light, same thing, 7 pointer.

Deer movement was pretty good Sunday morning, but again, big bucks were no where to be found. Hard to believe with the amount we have had show up on the cameras. Does galore though, and AJ just couldn't resist seeing a mature doe continuing to cross in front of his stand Sunday morning. Kept wanting to pass, but kept seeing Peppercorn Salami walking back and forth. :lol:

2 bucks, 2 does, and many deer passed on. 2nd season is usually our bread and butter. Weather looks to be perfect for next weekend. :gun

Tom

Twin Fins

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:57pm - Nov 30,15 
Good stuff, Tom! Nice to see some deer pics on here as they've been few and far between on the site this year. Congrats and good luck the remainder of the season.

Formerly Anchor Management
Montrose Harbor
Channel 7
-----------------------------------------------------------

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:09pm - Nov 30,15 
Looks like a good 1st season for you guys. Did you guys have any snow on the ground Saturday and Sunday? I didn't see any in the pics.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:27am - Dec 1,15 
Nicely done Tom, congrats to you and your group.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:56am - Dec 1,15 
Theboy160 wrote:
Looks like a good 1st season for you guys. Did you guys have any snow on the ground Saturday and Sunday? I didn't see any in the pics.

Snowed hard Saturday morning, then the cold front moved north. Temps climbed into the 40's and it switched to all rain. By noon on Saturday, all the snow was gone. Made for a slick evening in the fields.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:08am - Dec 2,15 
Congrats on the success. You say you saw no big deer, and judging by your pics you will be seeing a few less next year too.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:49pm - Dec 2,15 
the bottom buck is a 2.5 yo. the top one is 3.5 yo. that is correct huntnfish, they will be seeing less big deer.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:56pm - Dec 2,15 
urbanhog312 wrote:
the bottom buck is a 2.5 yo. the top one is 3.5 yo. that is correct huntnfish, they will be seeing less big deer.

4 less, seeing that's what we shot. :?

Based on the pictures we have from multiple cameras on the farm, the big deer I was referring to are the 15, 13, and multiple big body 10 pointers we have. Both the bucks taken above had inferior racks that we wanted out of our herd. I am by no means a trophy hunter. Fat mans gotta eat. :winker

Good luck, and everyone be safe this weekend.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:38pm - Dec 2,15 
Nice job Tom, I need to post a wrap up of my first season but have been too busy with work. Heading back down tomorrow for a 1.5 of hunting before I have to be back home.

It impossible to tell how old those deer are from those pictures, I can tell you that. You can give rough estimates but there is no way to tell. I get our deer's teeth cut from the deer we shoot to get an exact age on them (deer's teeth are like tree rings) and I can tell you with 100% truth that there is no way to tell. I don't do research or anything but running 15 or so trail cameras we try and guess a deer's age on the hoof. When we shoot them, we like to see how close we are. Besides, who really cares. You can't eat the antlers. I laugh when people say they will see less big deer. Two bucks out and they think the world is ending. I trying and hunt mature bucks and try not to shoot small bucks anymore but if someone shoots a small bucks and is proud of it then I couldn't be happier for them.

We killed a few 150" to 175" off of our farm and the neighbors so we had a pretty good year. I'm heading back down tomorrow to see if I can punch my buck tag on a wall hanger. I passed 8 bucks this year that would have been 100" to 125" but waiting to get something at least 135". Well see.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:07am - Dec 8,15 
9 guys hunting 4 days of second season, and only one buck taken. Rough year to say the least.

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 06:05am - Dec 9,15 
How were the "weeds" in your food plots?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:08am - Dec 9,15 
wsj_outdoorsman wrote:
How were the "weeds" in your food plots?

Everything in the Power Plant plots were brown and dead. Weeds included. The clover plots were green, and looked to be actually still growing with the warm temps and recent rains. Plenty of new tracks in those plots day after day. Seems like our deer have gone nocturnal. Of the does we saw, nothing was being chased.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 11:16am - Dec 9,15 
Were you able to identify the good weeds that may be growing in those plots?

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:08pm - Dec 9,15 
wsj_outdoorsman wrote:
Were you able to identify the good weeds that may be growing in those plots?

Really didn't look that hard at them. Once I saw everything was brown and dead, we pretty much wrote these plots off as a learning experience, and started to make a plan for next year. Doing a burn, then apply weed killer, minimal lime even though the soil samples came back good, and then plant so that there are plots there once the actual farm harvest is done. There is plenty of other food for them to eat all spring and summer long. Looking to sustain them more for the fall and winter.

I really think this slow second season was a product of the weather. Never good to be in a stand in December in short sleeves.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:18pm - Dec 10,15 
Quote:
I laugh when people say they will see less big deer. Two bucks out and they think the world is ending. I trying and hunt mature bucks and try not to shoot small bucks anymore but if someone shoots a small bucks and is proud of it then I couldn't be happier for them.

I laugh when people complain they arent seeing big deer and turn around shoot a small buck. thats a no brainer in my book

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:01pm - Dec 10,15 
As said earlier urbanhog312, we have plenty of shooter bucks on trail camera but we aren't seeing them in the stand. Due to the warm weather and lack of rut activity during the gun seasons is the reason why we haven't seen them during the day. Killing a few smaller bucks a year doesn't get rid of all of your big deer on your farm.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:14pm - Dec 10,15 
urbanhog312 wrote:
Quote:
I laugh when people say they will see less big deer. Two bucks out and they think the world is ending. I trying and hunt mature bucks and try not to shoot small bucks anymore but if someone shoots a small bucks and is proud of it then I couldn't be happier for them.

I laugh when people complain they arent seeing big deer and turn around shoot a small buck. thats a no brainer in my book

Does your book contain a recipe for unused tags? :?

Didn't see any big bucks, passed on multiple mature does to carry on reproduction and increase the herd.

Our lease gets hunted hard during bow season, so those big bucks have had close to 2 months of learning areas hunters are in.

I've paid for my licence and tags, and no where does it say that I can't shoot Bambi if I'd choose to. :wink:

The boys and I are meat eaters. Veal too. :D

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:11am - Dec 11,15 
This topic can turn into an ugly debate but my opinion is if you are happy with what you killed who cares. If you are complaining that there are no big bucks and all you shoot are young ones you have nobody to blame but yourself. I don't think Tom was doing that rather he was just stating the facts. Either way nice post Tom.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:00am - Dec 11,15 
Theboy160 wrote:
This topic can turn into an ugly debate but my opinion is if you are happy with what you killed who cares. If you are complaining that there are no big bucks and all you shoot are young ones you have nobody to blame but yourself. I don't think Tom was doing that rather he was just stating the facts. Either way nice post Tom.

Thanks Theboy160, you put the topic in a nut shell.

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:47am - Mar 6,16 
Just saw this post but the way I see it...your deer hunting? Correct? Those are deer in those pics, correct? Case closed...

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Game Bag » Antlers
Jump to: