Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:58pm - Oct 4,15 
Was caught off guard and the only shot was throat/neck. Rage did a number on the cape. Spoke to a taxidermist that said he could blend/fix and make hard to see but I am skeptical. I would be more optimistic but the entrance was more horizontal then vertical. The hair is cut pretty bad. Anyone get a mount with neck damage? Did it turn out okay? Can they sew in a new section?

I havent had a deer mounted in a long time. Was going to mount and give to bar owner near where we hunt was a nice 11 pointer. I will try and get some pics up.

Over the Limit
WellCraft Fishing Machine

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:29pm - Oct 4,15 
i put a slug straight threw the neck on the buck i have mounted and you can only tell if you put your face 2 inches from the mount. If he/she is a good reputable taxidermist they are going to be able to fix it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:41pm - Oct 4,15 
You'd be amazed at what a good taxidermist can do with a cape. If he has confidence in it, I'd go ahead and do it. My buddy shot a good 8 point years ago through the neck with a broadhead. They were able to blend it pretty well and this was 25 years ago. Personally, I'd give it a go.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:13am - Oct 5,15 
I would agree a good taxidermist will make it barely noticeable. Lets get to the story and a picture. I've got to live through someone else because I hunted 1 morning and I will not be able to get out until after the 20th because of work and vacation.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:53am - Oct 5,15 
I have a buck mounted that took one in the neck. I know it's there and I can only find it when I touch the mount. I'd say go for it.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:08pm - Oct 5,15 
Get the antlers mounted. Or not and just save them. Tag another deer of similar size and a better shot placement use that cape. My taxidermist will offer a free antler mount if you provide him with a usable cape. Ive taken two nice deer but not what Im looking for in a shoulder mount. Now I have two nice antler mounts $0.00. He's got two usable capes. Ask your taxi if he has a cape available.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:27pm - Oct 6,15 
Thanks for the info. I went for it. Hopefully it turns out.

So here is what happened. My uncle and I were butchering a deer and my dad was in his stand and called to tell us a good buck went up the cut of woods behind him. I grabbed my bow and we jumped on a quad to see if we could push it back toward him. My uncle dropped me off where deer typically cross the road at a gate and told me to wait there for 30 minutes and then push down toward my dad. He took the quad and was going to circle around the back side of the land, drive into a field and head down an old logging road to see if he could push the deer toward me or my dad. Two does ran up toward me and must have spotted me because at 60 yards they turned and headed down the ravine. Next thing I hear another deer come running up from where the two just ran down. This was a buck and was heading toward the gate. At 15 yards I said baa to try and stop him but he kept going and stopped where I could just see his head/neck and was looking at me so I aimed for windpipe and released. I could see blood pour out immediately so I knew he was done. He was only maybe 5 yards at this point. He went maybe 15 yards.

I think this is the first time we tried to corner a deer with the bow and it actually worked.

I keep trying to load pictures but I get an error. Maybe they are too big. I will try and shrink down.

Over the Limit
WellCraft Fishing Machine

Board index » Game Bag » Antlers
Jump to: