Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:02pm - Aug 31,15 

This next one looks GINORMOUS for the beginning of July.......

Don't know if I want to shoot him, or ride him. :crazy

Food plots seem to be doing their job of pulling deer in and holding them.

Cute and tender. :D

Farm had 28 inches of rain for the month of June. Corn looks weak, but the beans look great. Everything in the woods is absolutely over grown. Bushes, grass, small shrubs. The food plots we put in of Power Plant and Secret Spot have really taken off. Only problem was that when it came time for the weed killer, the fields were too wet to get out and apply it.

Here is a picture of the creek bottom.

What was a wide shallow creek, has had all it's rock carved out, and is now deep and you can hop across it.

Can't see it, but the creek is in the grass. All this rock was left once the waters receded.

A lot of the Power Plant has been taken over by Fox Tail, but there will still be plenty of food available after the first hard frost.

Clover has been cut twice, and has come back really nice and thick.

Here is a picture from one of our stands that we call the Hilton. It's a painters scaffold with two levels that we put pop ups in to hunt out of the wind and weather.

Power Plant out the front and sides.

Bean field out the back.

From what we've seen on the cameras, it looks like a 60/40 Buck to Doe ratio. Did a lot of work clearing limbs and access points. Had turnip and wild carrots to put out this last trip, but there wasn't any open ground to seed, and we ran out of time. Might try and put some of that out after the beans are harvested. From the looks of them, the beans will probably be coming out early.

Tom and the boys

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 04:19am - Sep 1,15 
Nice pics and it sure looks like you guys are in for some good times.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:19am - Sep 1,15 
Nice job all that hard work will pay off I cant wait for season myself

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:27am - Sep 1,15 
Very cool!

- Joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:51am - Sep 1,15 
Awesome pictures!! Whats with the bare spot in the grass on the night pictures? Mineral blocks or salt blocks disolved? The deer obviously love that spot!? :thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:00pm - Sep 1,15 
That fox glove should hold the quail

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:24pm - Sep 1,15 
colddriver wrote:
Awesome pictures!! Whats with the bare spot in the grass on the night pictures? Mineral blocks or salt blocks disolved? The deer obviously love that spot!? :thanks

We haven't put any blocks out, never have. There are a few spots on the farm where there would appear to be natural salt or mineral deposits in the ground. The one where we set the camera up, is a bottom where there is drainage from a bluff.

The picture below is from the top of a bluff.

You can almost see salt or something in the soil. The deer paw at this spot all the time. Way back when, the farm was used to raise horses and cattle. Not sure if they ever had licks back then, but that was probably 20+ years ago. You can see from the creek flood pictures that there is an abundance of rock on the farm. I'd assume that's why there are deposits too. Maybe all the rain exposed more deposits? :dontknow

Tom

Twin Fins

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:28pm - Sep 1,15 
Fireman58 wrote:
That fox glove should hold the quail

That is one thing we have seen an abundance of, and that's quail. That was before we even put the plots in. No idea how they are making a comeback, with the amount of coyotes and bobcats on the farm.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:44am - Sep 2,15 
I've been seeing more and more quail by me in Marion County, its a nice thing to see. Good luck with some of those bucks this year.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:28pm - Sep 2,15 
Thanks tom, verry intresting. Reason i asked is i have seen a spot like that before down in johnson county in shawnee nf. Thought it was weird, i know it wasnt other hunters that had put stuff out either, just way to far out in the forest. Must be some natural depostits there. Its different than a scrape they like dig it it! Well good luck with thoes brutes hope they stay around for ya...

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:53pm - Sep 4,15 
Superb Post Tom. I'm sure you'll have a great season there this year. :respect

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:23am - Sep 7,15 
Great pictures and post Tom. Love to see those bucks in velvet. Looks like you have put in alot of time and effort on that farm. Very glad to here those little bobwhie quail are coming back for you. :allah

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:28pm - Oct 2,15 
Tom if a Co see's that mineral spot you will get a ticket weather you created it or not. We have the same issue at our place don't know if previous owned had minerals or not but we were written tickets 2 years ago for that same deal. Tried to tell them we had only owned the place a little over a year but he didn't care .just my 2 cents

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:35pm - Oct 2,15 
linestretcher wrote:
Tom if a Co see's that mineral spot you will get a ticket weather you created it or not. We have the same issue at our place don't know if previous owned had minerals or not but we were written tickets 2 years ago for that same deal. Tried to tell them we had only owned the place a little over a year but he didn't care .just my 2 cents

We don't have a stand on these spots, just the cameras. How do you rectify the situation if you haven't put anything out? Wouldn't they ticket you year after year, if it is there year after year?

Do you still hunt the same farm? Did you have a stand on the deposit?

We have had the DNR on our property 3 of the last 4 years to check licences, tags, and plugs in the guns. Always been legit, and never a ticket.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:52am - Oct 3,15 
I think the way they want you to treat these spots is with charcoal, it does something to the minerals to either eliminate them or make them unattractive to the deer.

I wouldn't worry too much about it though, it looks pretty natural and doesn't look like you just put a salt block out. Plus, around this time deer start to lose interest in mineral licks. They are more of a spring/summer type attractant.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:22pm - Oct 3,15 
The Co showed up first gun season and said he saw the spot while walking in the spring. The closest stand was 2oo yrds ++ but he said that gun your using will shoot over 200 wont it. I explained that even if it were a mineral spot from years back deer stop using it about the time they shed velvet. His response was BS this aint my fist day on the job. .He had his mind made up and there was nothing we could say to change it .One of my spots looks just like yours and the other is big as a truck. He said he had to fence it off or fill it in after we tarp it to prevent the deer from digging. We filled it in and he has not been back, just thought I would give you a heads up with what we went through because were not that far north of you.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:52pm - Oct 3,15 
linestretcher wrote:
The Co showed up first gun season and said he saw the spot while walking in the spring. The closest stand was 2oo yrds ++ but he said that gun your using will shoot over 200 wont it. I explained that even if it were a mineral spot from years back deer stop using it about the time they shed velvet. His response was BS this aint my fist day on the job. .He had his mind made up and there was nothing we could say to change it .One of my spots looks just like yours and the other is big as a truck. He said he had to fence it off or fill it in after we tarp it to prevent the deer from digging. We filled it in and he has not been back, just thought I would give you a heads up with what we went through because were not that far north of you.

Very much appreciated. Great info.

Thanks

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:07pm - Oct 3,15 
Our COs in the county that I hunt don't even get out of their trucks to check us most of the time, actually, we've never been checked (knock on wood). We had one wait outside out gate once, I think he was doing paperwork or looking for someone else We waved at him getting back to undress and go to lunch and he drove off before we were done.

Do you have neighbors that dislike you? I can't see a CO randomly walking someone's land looking for something illegal. Seems like a waste of resources for the DNR to just go for walking in the woods in the spring time. Not saying it didnt happen but I have a feeling that a neighbor saw this and turned you in.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:55am - Oct 4,15 
B. I thought about that but we get along good with everyone around us ? And i have 4 cams going 24/7 since we bought the place and have only had 1 trespasser on cam. We asked the CO and he said they walk random properties all year looking. Two weeks later a mile away I saw him out walking the tree line. I think your CO and mine are the same ? I believe your in fulton and im in schuyler only a mile from fulton line ? Oh well we filled it in and hopefully he never comes back .Good luck to all of you this season !!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:25am - Oct 4,15 
I'm not sure what the bounty lines are for the COs in central Illinois. Were on the opposite end of Fulton Co than you it looks like. I think they are breaking COs up into three county territories with the budget cuts now. I know that one of the COs down there lives out of Lewistown. We hunt on a dead end road that a lot of people don't venture down except a few people who live at the end (or the SOB that burned down our barn this year!). I guess you never know, we could a CO walk our property as well but with how hilly it is, he'd have to really want to find something, there are a lot of times I don't even want to walk the hill to my stand!

Good luck to you as well, I think when the time starts we should get a rut activity thread going. Its always good to hear what other people are seeing.

Board index » Game Bag » Antlers
Jump to: