Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:22pm - Sep 29,10 
I’m getting twitchy about hunting Midewin this season. It’ll be my first time hunting public land ever, and I’m pretty anxious about what to expect when I roll into the parking lot Saturday morning. Any experiences you guys can share, good or bad, that would at least help me know what to expect? Best of luck to everyone!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:41pm - Sep 29,10 
good luck, you will see a TON of guys there the opening saturday so be sure you are there 2hrs b4 shooting light. also expect to walk 2 miles to get to any spot worth hunting. I would suggest bringing a mountain bike if you can so u can use the bike trails to get to where you need to go. There are alot of deer there and some monsters to boot. over the past few years numerous 20 pointers have been shot there. Its a good spot, just be prepared for it to be crowded bc it is public land.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:16pm - Sep 29,10 
Yep i agree with buckmark,there are some monsters in there but you need to get away from the crowd.It's a typical public spot with some real good hunters and some total idiots.I met a guy this spring that has been hunting that area for 20+ years and he kills a 140"+ class deer in there every year, and yes i saw the deer on the wall +10 big racks..Great spot just stinks when some one screws up all your hard work,I had some J O walk under my stand smoking a cigar in blue jeans and a flannel shirt and sit down under a tree at 35 yards from me.That was the last time that i was there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:26pm - Sep 29,10 
I've been out there the last 2 years for gun season. What these guys are saying is dead on, some great deer but you never know how the hunt will be. Guys are walking all over just going for a stroll about an hour after shooting time. I can say 2 years ago I took a nice doe and last year I could have taken several but I was waiting for a big that I never saw. I'll be out there this year bow hunting but it will not be until the end of October or November.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:58am - Sep 30,10 
Buckmark311,
Numerous 20 ptrs in the last few years? C'mon. You must be refferring to the restricted area.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:16am - Sep 30,10 
Thanks for the insight everyone. I've heard about guys using bikes to get out there before. For now I've got comfortable boots and a game cart ready for the 2-3 mile predawn hike, but if a bunch of dudes blow past me on bikes I suspect it won't be long before I rethink my approach to get out there. I did a bit of scouting out there this summer and saw lots of sign so I'm hopeful that with time and persistence opportunities will present themselves. Sounds like a challenging but potentially rewarding place to hunt. Far be it from me to begrudge others an opportunity to hunt, especially when I have no more right to be there than anyone else, but with what sounds to be an inevitable crowd I sure hope I have more interaction with the good hunters than the idiots. Thanks again and good luck!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:58am - Sep 30,10 
snwblnd, ya there have been 20 pointers taken there every year. Check with the Midewin office, they will have some pics of the monsters taken off there every year

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:25pm - Sep 30,10 
Ok Midewin. Its were I hunt man. First Dont publically say how good midewin is ok. I mean its public land how crowded to you wan the place to be. Midewin beens pretty empty for the past few years, I havent seen a crowd in years. You can only bring a bike on the east side. Do not bring one to the west side. stand 219 is closed fyi. But ya get there early but most of the big bucks have actually ben shot closer tho the parking area than you think. Everyone kickin up the deer walkin out there. Make sure you got scent lock and everything midewin deer are slick. Stay out of hoffs woods . On parts of the east side you can not go past the creek do not get caught there. Just dont talk about midewin its one area us guys who hunt there dont want any more out there. OK!!!!!!! But its good hunting. The best way to hunt midewin is hunt stand sights for your first time just stay closer to the parkin lot if you dont know the area dont get lost. Its happened to me. Just be safe and deer hunt.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:31pm - Sep 30,10 
OH. BE prepared for people to mess with you. I was huntin p1 north last year ok. I got out of my stand to stretch and stuff took a quick walk soon as i got down i saw to guys makin out in the woods by my tree. I yelled at them to get the hell out of here, than i saw a guy in a blue shirt walkin towards my tree i thought you know hed try to take my climber, the SOB dropped a duece on my dam tree stand brand new summit i just left it there and said screw it. I mean its not like i was on the east side by trails i was in p1 no trails up there at all just walkin throught fields just be ready for anti hunters. I was stalkin a buck during the rut droptines ok. 20 yards away i stood up to take a shot some sobs on a horse yelled run deer run. He bolted ive had quite a few fights there i mean just be ready to whoop some boys. It sucks sometimes.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:07pm - Oct 3,10 
It is illegal to purposely mess up a deer hunt. The DNR will back the hunter always! Believe me I've been there

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:52am - Nov 7,16 
Just curious if anyone knows the number of firearm deer permits the DNR issues each year for Midewin. Are we talking hundreds? Does DNR issue these as full season (1st and 2nd shotgun season) or as partial season (1st season only, 2nd season only, etc.)? I do my shotgun hunting in downstate Illinois but I've always wondered what the firearm pressure is like at Midewin as I drive past it. I've hiked and volunteered at Midewin over the years and seen some nice deer (although the buck quality has seemed to decline in the last 5 years or so).

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:29pm - Nov 7,16 
I don't know the number of permits but I do not think it is hundreds. I gun hunted out there years ago and it was never too crowded maybe 3 in the field. I believe the tags were for both seasons not just 1st or 2nd.

There are some nice deer out there but they are pretty smart and there is a lot of room for them to roam out there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:18pm - Nov 13,16 
It is about 80 and they are for both seasons. There's a separate muzzleloader season as well

Profile WWW  

Board index » Game Bag » Antlers
Jump to: