Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:38pm - Jul 12,17 
Headed down to where I deer hunt this weekend to hang some cameras. I've been a bit busy with work and welcoming our second child (another boy) into the world on May 1st so hunting has taken a bit of a back seat for a few months.

Only had a Friday late afternoon and Saturday until mid day to do some work so had to hustle a bit. Here are the points:

Crops in Fulton Co were hit or miss. Some spots the corn was 7 feet tall, other only 4 feet. The farm I hunt it was probably 5 to 6 feet and beans were about a foot. It has been dry down there so crops were a bit behind. Luckily, the last few days they have gotten some good rain and weather is hot so it should kick the crops back in gear. Glad they didnt get the rain as parts of Chicago. I was down there 4 days after they got 5 inches of rain a few years back and if the crops were in it would have taken half of some of our lower fields.

Did have a chance to hang two new stands at two new spots. One is 2/3 up on a ridge that has tremendous deer sign in the fall. About 100 yards from our neighbors land and he keeps that area a sanctuary. I hunt a millennium M50 for the first time. So much nicer to hang then the Dicks stands I use. Nice to have the bracket to put up first as well as the leveling system. Even though they are about double the price of what I used to spend on stands its well worth it. Also hunt a stand that overlooks two of our smaller ag field and a long ag field that runs the length of the bottom. We have seen a lot of good bucks in this area but tough to get into the stand undetected. Thought wed give it a shot, especially for shotgun season. My buddies brother shot a super nice 10 point about 50 yards away from this stand a few years back. He pulled his stand so we decided to put another one up. This brings our stars total up to 33 now, quite a lot!

We did have a new spring pop up right new to one of the ag fields as well. It was always there and was just a light trickle at most. Over the past 4 months its really opened up and prevented about an acre of corn being planted. When I was there is still had a foot of water in the area and it wasn't from rain. Very interesting to see. We have 3 springs on the property that lead to all the creeks but this one was a surprise to see.

We also hung 12 trail cameras over food plots and a few other easy to get to paths. I don't put cameras in the woods until the fall, they usually don't pay off. I did hang a couple in spots that I won't check until I hunt them in November. Weather was only in the low 80s and very little humidity so I wanted to take advantage of that and get to these tough spots without sweating my tail off. We should get some decent pictures in the next few weeks. They won't be checked until the last week of July when I head down for the Deer classic in Peoria. When I head back down we have another 10 to hang so we'll be 100% up and running with all the trail cams by August.

My buddies wife also splurged and got a Polaris side by side. It is a fantastic machine. We used to use a couple 4 wheelers and tie down stands, sticks and such. Now, we just throw them in the side by side and go. Plus, you can talk to each other in the side by side much easier.

Not a bad weekend at all, now just looking forward to getting a few shooter bucks on camera! I passed a couple 120" to 130" bucks last year and missed a 160" 8 point plus we had about 7 other nice shooters, hoping this year we have a lot of good ones hanging around!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:42am - Jul 14,17 
It's been busy for me as well but I'm hoping I can get out soon to start setting stuff up as well. There's nothing more suspenseful than pulling that memory card after the first month of it being out.

However last year I had multiple big bucks running around in August and September but come October they disappeared. It was a bit of a let down to start the season.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:11pm - Jul 14,17 
I agree, this is when I'm glad I live 3 hours from where I hunt. I don't have to worry about wanting to check cameras early, it is quite nerve wracking when you are pulling chips.

Last year we had a few good bucks in July and August but September and October is when they seem to show up for us. Not the biggest but the best one IMO didnt show up until mid October, a 160 inch 8 point that was a beauty. Had a couple other show as well towards late September. I don't put much into trail camera picks until after Labor day, seems like a new crop of deer show up around then. The ones that are around all summer though seem seem to be our resident bucks that are always around the farm, except when I'm after them!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:43am - Jul 22,17 
I too went down to our lease in Iroquois Co to set up a few things . It's only 1hr. 20min. ride , but far enough , for me . I took my riding mower and mowed some travel lanes to the back , and an area by a couple treestands that I was thinkin about making into food plots . Then I set up 2 cameras . 2 - 3 days later , a Tornado went thru our property and did LOTS of tree damage . GIANT OAKS ( 3-4 ft. dia. ) ripped out of the ground . root balls and all ... BIG MESS ... I went to check out the damage . While I was there , I checked my cameras ,,,, In 2 days , the Deer had found my newly mowed lanes and we eating the fresh cut grasses ,,,, I got a Doe / Fawn family , and a Doe/ 2 Fawn family , visiting regularly . Pretty cool to see the fawns ,,, Now it's been almost a month ,,,, time to mow the grass again ,,,, With all the rain , I'm guessing it has grown a lot ,,,

Good Luck and Safe rips ,,,, Walldady

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:12am - Jul 30,17 
I visited our Lease again ,,,, It was a month from when I last checked the cams ,,,, LOTS of pics of Does / Fawns ,, only 1 small Buck and a BIG Coyote ,,, HE'S on my hit list ,,, ALL in my mowed meadow ,,,,

Good Luck and Safe Trips ,,, Walldady

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:21am - Aug 13,17 
I took another trip to our lease and checked the cams .... I put up a couple more in other spots , because all I was getting were Does / Fawns ,,,, WELL ,,,, I found the " Boyz Club " ,,,, I got 4 different Nice Bucks , on video , by accident ,,,, 3 in 1 video ,,, I messed up the setting and got video instead of pics ,,,,, Wish I could figure out how to put them here ,,,

Good Luck and Safe Trips ,,,, Walldady >>---}-> , >>###-------- ))-

Board index » Game Bag » Antlers
Jump to: