Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:00pm - Jun 15,17 
Hey guys a buddy of mine has been trying to get me into deer hunting. I know it's early since he says he'll start in October but I want your input on bow and arrows. He's a little bit of a show off and went on and on about how he got a Hoyt Spider carbon setup and paid over 1500 for everything including upgraded components. Claims this is THE setup to get no questions asked. I on the other hand know NOTHING about bow and arrow setups so I don't want to pay that kind of money for something I've never used.

He did mention to go to Fox Valley Archery to get a bow matched to my hands and whatnot for the best feel. You guys have any suggestions on a good entry level setup that won't break the bank yet serve it's purpose? I want to start saving or piecing things together by then. Thanks.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:37pm - Jun 15,17 
:drink Brother......any hobby guys dork out on will cost cash....whatever it may be....badass truck....badass weapon....badass boat....and so on and so on....make sure u truly love it before u start dropping phat stax o cash....later mike

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:09pm - Jun 15,17 
Congrats on getting into the sport, its addicting and you'll love it.

When it comes to bows, everyone has there favorite, it really depends on the person. The Hoyt Spider is a good bow and for him it might be the best bow out there but really, every major company has some good to great bows. For me, personally, I wouldnt shoot a hoyt, just not right for me. I shoot a Mathews Helim and love it, killed some deer and shoots very well.

If I were you, I would go to a bow shop and see what good used bows they have. There are plenty of guys who want the newest and best every year and trade in their bows that are perfectly fine. You can probably pick up a really good used bow for under $800 with al the bells and whistles. If you really get into the sport and want to upgrade, you can sell that same $800 bow for $600 and upgrade or if you don't like the sport, you can sell it and not loose for than a few dollars.

If it was me, I'd probably go to a well know archery store and pick up a used Mathews Z7. Its arguably the most popular bow in the last 10 years and a lot of people use them. I go to a place called Strictly Archery in Joliet and have complete confidence in them. They are actually doing a little work on my Helim now. Back to the subject though, find a god 3 to 5 year old bow and spend half the money he did but have a bow almost as good.

You'll get people who say that Hoyt is the best, or Mathews is the best, or eve Bear. They all have good bows (even though I think Mathews and Hoyt are the best). Go shoot a few and don't listen to your friend until after you shoot a few bows. Get what shoots best for you.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:48pm - Jun 15,17 
Thank you sir, that definitely makes a lot of sense. I've been looking around and there seems to be a lot of used Bear and Hoyts for sale. I will take your advice and go down to a place to try them out if I'm allowed. I refuse to pay big bucks for something that I'm completely uninformed about. I suppose it's a little like buying a good quality fishing rod but at a higher cost. I have too many hobbies already. My wife WILL kill me when she finds out lol

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:15pm - Jun 23,17 
I got into bow hunting a few years ago with an old golden eagle bow I bought off my wife's cousin for $150. It was good enough to get me into the game and allowed me to make sure I was gonna keep doing it without breaking the bank. I am now looking to upgrade after 3-4 years. Don't think you need to spend $1000 to get a good shooting bow that will kill a deer. Buy something you can comfortably afford and in a year or two you can upgrade or walk away if it's not for you without much lost. But you probably won't be able to walk away. I started bow hunting because the season is so much longer and am still at it, despite not much success. There is alot more easy public land access in Northern Ill. for bow hunting than gun season as well, which is another huge plus in my mind.

Board index » Game Bag » Antlers
Jump to: