Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:05am - Jul 10,17 
I got my permit for Green river SWA on opening day. Just wondering if any fellow Chi-town guys are going to be there?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:14pm - Jul 10,17 
Did you get an email notification or have to check online?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:54pm - Jul 10,17 
NVM I see you check through Inquiry system. How is Green River looking this year?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:29pm - Jul 10,17 
I have not been out there this year. I will go in August to check the fields. Last year that payed off big time. Long ride just for checking but it was worth it to me. It's nice to have a backup field in mind in case you get called late.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:30pm - Jul 10,17 
I applied to a bunch of places for first day and using inquiry system nothing was assigned Will try second lottery I guess. but I never got an email saying I was not selected for anything am I looking at wrong location online?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:43pm - Jul 10,17 
Early, When I applied it did say I would be notified by EMAIL. I ended up checking the inquiry system and it was posted for 9/01. 9/01 and 9/02 were taken. If you don't book something you might try stand by at Green river. 900 birds were taken last year on day one. I'm not sure if guys limited and walked early(I hate walking by active hunters) but it is a good bet that if you get out you will shoot. They post where the birds are taken.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:01pm - Jul 10,17 
Can I ask on Green River by 3rd or 4th day are most doves gone?? Have to try for 3rd of 4th day elsewhere. Thanks for input.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:47am - Jul 14,17 
I know my buddy hunted Green River and he said he would usually get 8-10 birds Opening Day. Just because it is closer to home we go to Des Plains and have similar results.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:16pm - Jul 14,17 
I was almost about to apply this year but the last few years I've been visiting my wife's family in Nebraska. Last year I was out on her sister's back deck at Sunset not the first and couldnt believe the amount of doves flying being the house near a corn field going to a cattle pond. Next night I went out there and burned through a box of shells in 30 minutes and got 5. Not the best shooting but couldnt believe the birds flying. They were everywhere. Just found out I won't be back there again for memorial day but going to try and plan it next year. Still amazed by the amount of birds there. Even over the fourth I was on their back deck and probably saw 50 in a hour and I wasn't even looking too hard. A lot different than here!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:46am - Jul 15,17 
Early, last year we left day 2 and birds were still flying. The birds will be there in small numbers. They will be wise and passing shots will be the norm. Be ready!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:11am - Jul 26,17 
Alright I got Sep 3 for Green River. Can anyone give some good news for 3rd day there? Will there be birds? Anyone have luck 3rd day out? Thank you

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:09pm - Jul 26,17 
Early, all I can tell you is that birds were still flying at 5pm while we were leaving. 4 to 5 was are busiest time. That was last year !!
Get there early and check the boards and chat with the staff. I'm going to Morris in two weeks to do some skeet shooting and after that, continue out there to check the fields. We all know that there are many conditions that can make or break your hunt.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:37pm - Jul 27,17 
Can i ask where do you guys go to practice shooting and how much does it cost? Thanks again..

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:55pm - Jul 28,17 
I got a permit through the lottery for 9-1 at Jim Edgar Panther Creek and got a permit this morning through the open application at Matthiesen for 9-3. I've hunted opening day at Mathiessen the past two years and have done well but am looking forward to opening day at Jim Edgar this year. According to Dale Bowman, http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/dove ... -illinois/, they killed alot of doves opening day at Jim Edgar last year. I hope the trend continues this year.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:00pm - Aug 30,17 
I checked out Des Plains today and after watching for 20 minutes I did not see one dove. It looks like one field is all weeds and no sunflowers. The other field was choked out by all the weeds. This is a couple years in a row where they did not spray the weeds. A little disappointing to say the least.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:39pm - Aug 30,17 
Sorry to hear the fields weren't well kept, that stinks. Wish I could push some of the birds I saw in Nebraska last weekend here. They are literally thick everywhere there, I've never seen so many in my life. Almost wish I was back there this weekend.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:12pm - Aug 30,17 
So your saying not going to.be good hunting? I have the 4th at desplaines. Any help will be appreciated.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:32am - Aug 31,17 
Can I ask you guys that hunt their you have to check in first correct? off of 55 south is the fields left down the road or right?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:13am - Aug 31,17 
Fields are on the right or south side of the road.

I stopped by Silver Springs and I did not see more than 10 birds and there were no sunflowers planted

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:37pm - Aug 31,17 
I'm thinking des plains will not be very good. I was offered a private hunt for $150. It's a lot of cash but the 2 times hunted it in the past I limited out.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Game Bag » Upland Birds/Game
Jump to: