Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:20am - Dec 21,16 
My son,my bro-in-law, my good friend Kenny and I will be going to KSP for a pheasant hunt this Thursday.
I had to put down my 8yo lab Jake this spring. He had a very aggressive cancer. This summer I was gifted with a 4yo Flat Coat Retriever who is also named Jake (My third Jake). He's not much of a hunter though. The previous owners trained him for the show ring and agility courses.
Michael, My 15yo son and I took Jake to Willow Slough On Thanksgiving for a pheasant hunt. He did OK, but he has been trained to stick close to his handler. He ranged a little and retrieved the only bird we flushed.
If anyone is out there on Thursday stop and say hi. I'm sure we will be the only hunters with a Flat Coat.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:47am - Dec 21,16 
Keep at it. He will come around. Good luck with Jake.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:37am - Dec 21,16 
sorry to hear about your dog, man. I too had to put down my 8 year old black lab due to an aggressive cancer over the summer. It was a bone cancer in her leg that spread like wildfire.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:43am - Dec 21,16 
Congrats on the bird! I'm sure it was a great time!

Kankakee has always been my least favorite spot to bird hunt out of all the state run places I've been in the Chicago area. Seems like there are a lot less pheasant there. The good thing is it isn't as busy and not as hectic as Des Plaines, you can normally always walk on there. I heard (and i'm sure its just rumors) that they release the least amount of birds there. That being said, if you want to get away from people, its a good spot just be away from people.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:57pm - Dec 21,16 
I talked to the site sup yesterday. He told me they release the birds based on the average number of hunters for that date based on the last five years.
I used to hunt Kankakee every Wed, Fri and Sun(When I was drawn) and did very well there. I also had two great dogs at the time and an endless supply of hunting partners. My upland hunting slowed down when I got into bow hunting big time.
I chose Kankakee over Des Plaines this time because my brother in law didn't want to deal with too many other hunters.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:27am - Dec 23,16 
How did the hunt go? I'll be out next wed at K3 or desplaines. Looking at the permit quota during the week doesn't look like desplaines would be all that crowded.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:02pm - Dec 28,16 
Hunting DP tomorrow (thurs) anyone else going out that wants to meet up?

- Joe

Board index » Game Bag » Upland Birds/Game
Jump to: