Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:24am - Sep 21,16 
:gpost I'm very new to the hunting scene.. Wouldn't really even call myself a hunter yet.. This is the first year that I have my license (had apprentice last year). My first experience hunting was duck hunting with a great/generous guy from this group named Chris... However we didn't see a single duck. Anyways.. I don't even own a gun yet lol..
I'm just looking for some info from very experienced hunters like you guys..

Where to start? What to look for? Best way to get on the hunt!? Best gun to purchase for a variety of uses?

MAYBE EVEN A HUNTING EXPERIENCE TO JOIN IN ON. I'd gladly pay for anything that I can. I can make delicious snacks or buy some beers.. I'll hunt whatever I can -squirrels, rabbit, etc..
Please, let me know!! Thanks!

-Joe

- Joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:20pm - Sep 21,16 
Best Gun?:
The best gun is one that fits you regardless of price, make, or model. A shotgun that doesn't fit will be uncomfortable to shoot, and will most likely not shoot very accurately. The Remington 870 Express 12ga 3" will cover pretty much any hunting situation you will find yourself in here in IL. It is very inexpensive relative to most guns out there. You can find the "Combo" which will include the 28" barrel for bird hunting as well as a shorter slug barrel for if you ever decide you want to go deer hunting (you can find slug barrels separately, but you will end up spending more). If you choose to go with the 870 Express, I would advise to try and find "New Old Stock" from 10+yrs ago as there have been reports of diminishing quality in recent years. That being said, I own one made in 2013, and have not had any issue. I find the 870 to be more comfortable and solid than the Mossberg equivalent. I own a Berretta, and used my 870 100% of my hunting days last year. You can also find the 870 in pricier models due to different materials used as well as fit and finish. If price is no issue, I do enjoy shooting my buddy's Benelli Super Black Eagle and my other buddy's Winchester SX3, I think the SX3 patterns better (more evenly distributes the bbs when shot).

Where to Start:
Look at the DNR website for free hunting opportunities. Each licensed resident hunter is eligible for one free upland (pheasant) hunt through a lottery system. You are also eligible for up to 5 duck hunt permits and 5 goose hunt permits, first being a lottery system, and then the rest are first-come-first served for reservations through the DNR website. I'll include the link to the waterfowl application page since that is what you mentioned in your post.

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/wa ... ation.aspx

There are many hunting forums out there with individuals that will be willing to get a new hunter out on hunts. This is how I met a lot of guys I hunt with every year.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:52pm - Sep 21,16 
Awesome info.. I really appreciate it. Where can I find these forums?

- Joe

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:02pm - Sep 21,16 
PM Sent

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:00pm - Sep 21,16 
I agree with the Remington 870 or even the Mossberg 500. The Remington 870 is a great gun and I still use it as one of my bird guns today. Bought it when I was 16 and still use it at 37 now because I have so much history with it. My buddy uses the Mossberg and loves it to. You can buy the combo to have a barrel for deer but personally I would buy the an aftermarket barrel with a cantilever scope mount rather than get the factory combo. I used the after market cantilever barrel to kill a few deer before I switched to the Savage 220.

Best thing to do to find people to hunt with is be active on these forums. I don't hunt locally as much as I used to due to work and a new boy but I have hunted with probably a half dozen guys on here and all have been great. I'm also active on some other larger forums as well. In fact, I met a buddy on a random forum 6 years ago and now I hunt his property every year. I do a lot of work on the property but love it. Only reason I met him was because I commented on a few trail cam pics. Now he is like family.

I would recommend hitting up some of the public put and take pheasant spots (Des Plaines, Kankakee, Chain of Lakes) and just walk and kick brush. 75% of the time you run into someone who is will to let you hunt behind his dogs to get them more work. Even the times I went without knowing someone or meeting someone with a dog I would usually get a fair amount of shot at pheasants. Its work but its all fun as well. I'd like to hit these spots again and do some pheasant hunting but I don't have the time I used to.

Good Luck!

Board index » Game Bag » Upland Birds/Game
Jump to: