Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:48am - Jul 12,16 
Anyone get their dove permits yet? Silversprings, sept 01.First time applying and I got second pick Huraay
Fireman58/Dave

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:07am - Jul 12,16 
I got Sept. 1 at Matthiessen !!!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:31am - Jul 13,16 
September 2nd at Des Plains for my group.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:13am - Jul 13,16 
I missed out for day one at Green River but I might try stand bye. Otherwise I did apply for 2 and 3. There were plenty of birds left on day 2 last year. They were just a little educated.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:44am - Jul 13,16 
I got Sept 1st at Silversprings. I didn't go last year because 2014 was awful. 2013 was great almost had my limit.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:45am - Jul 23,16 
The second lottery is over for free dove permits (missed the first) and got a permit for 9/2 at Green river SWA. Maybe one of you can answer a question about (site specific) Green river regulations. I cannot reach them by phone (keeps ringing) or no reply via email. I didn't list a partner on the app. and I would like to know if a friend can sit at the same station with me. Last year I did see multiple people at some stations but I don't know if they all had permits. Any help would be much appreciated.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:00am - Jul 23,16 
I'm guessing your partner needs to be on the permit, mine is.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:55pm - Aug 21,16 
I drove past Des Plains yesterday and I don't think I saw any sunflowers. I'm not sure if they didn't plant any or if they were choked out by the weeds but it doesn't look good for doves. I saw 4-5 fly through but I can't imagine they are loaded iin there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:00am - Sep 2,16 
I figured I give Des Plains a try with a couple buddies. We were able to get on and hunted field D. We managed 6 doves. Now for my rant.

The field was horrible and the sunflowers barely 3 feet tall. There were more weeds than sunflowers. I've heard about every excuse why that is. It was too wet to spray, the state doesn't have the money, the employees have too many other things to do. These excuses are all great but as I drive past all of the great corn fields that are maintained properly I can't help but wonder why the corn looks so good. Is it because there is money associated with the corn and those fields that are pheasant hunted? It just disappointing that the state is not using the money we pay for our license to make sure the fields are maintained properly.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:34am - Sep 3,16 
Hunted Rooster Heaven thursday. Doves were so thick I thought I was in Argentina.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:14am - Sep 4,16 
We were at Green river SWA on 9/2. the field we were at was well maintained and the birds were there. Unfortunately we were in the middle and the birds were at the ends and only a few got to us. Between both of us we used less then one box of shells. Went home with three. The ledger board said 1200 birds on day one. No complaints, just wrong spot.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:30pm - Sep 5,16 
BULLDAWG I was there for the afternoon hunt. got many birds but lost most to the weeds in the flower patch

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:41am - Sep 7,16 
I headed to Nebraska for Labor Day to visit my wife's parents. When I landed we went to her sisters house who lives outside a small town. I was sitting on their back deck overlooking a big backyard and a corn field as was amazed at the amount of doves going through there backyard and near an old drainage ditch that leads to a small cattle pond. Next day I borrowed my Father in laws gun, picked up some shells and a license and headed to the backyard with my nephew who is 7. I was more concentrated about teaching him gun safety (he had a bb gun) and when to shoot at the birds than anything else. We sat out there for about an hour and a half in the shadows of a small tree and got three birds. I tried to only shoot if I knew they were going to land in the grass (about 6" to 12" tall). Missed probably 10 more but saw over a hundred and was trying more to show my nephew a good time and when to shoot and when not to shoot. If the corn was down and not had a youngster, I probably would have gone through 2 boxes of shells. We cleaned the doves and had them for a snack during the Nebraska game.

I think I might have to make the Labor day trip next year and be a bit more prepared with camo and decoys. Guys I talked to when I was there said no one was having a problem killing a limit if they had decoys and especially a mojo.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:44am - Sep 8,16 
Bulldawg wrote:
Hunted Rooster Heaven thursday. Doves were so thick I thought I was in Argentina.

!!!!!!! Might be worth the price. Last time I checked they were charging $200. Great photo!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:31pm - Sep 8,16 
So I landed a permit for Silver Springs Day 2. I was on the end of field 4 I believe. I got the first shot in our field at 12:15, promptly missed, and my neighbor 30 yards away finished the dove off.

After that, nothing for 3 hours so I left.

Not sure how the rest of the day faired for everyone but it was very very slow out there. Might try to go back later this weekend with the dropping temps but probably won't.

First time for me shooting at a dove in probably 18-19 years. The dove won. I was 0 for 2. :oops:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:16pm - Sep 8,16 
billebob, I was the same way last weekend. I hadn't shot at a dove since 2002. I was amazed when the first one went by and I dropped it, missed the second one and then dropped the third! Unfortunately after that I went cold and landed one of the next 10 or so shots.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:27am - Sep 9,16 
Meat Sandwich wrote:
Bulldawg wrote:

!!!!!!! Might be worth the price. Last time I checked they were charging $200. Great photo!

Photo was off the web but the hunting was very, very good. Doves were landing on the sunflowers and on my decoy tree.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:51pm - Oct 31,16 
What type of shotgun you guys use or recommend?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:24pm - Oct 31,16 
12 ga. size 9 shot. The more pellets the better. Remember that it only takes one to down a dove.

Board index » Game Bag » Upland Birds/Game
Jump to: