Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:19am - Sep 30,15 
Got lucky and they pulled my application for the second day of hunting at Green River. I've never been there, but if anyone has, could you please share your knowledge. Thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:48am - Oct 1,15 
Nobody has been here??

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:49pm - Oct 1,15 
I have been there numerous times but not for many years. When i first started going out there they raised their own birds. Then they privatized the stocking from an area game farm. You had to buy the birds up front before you got out there. You would buy one, two or 3 birds for something like $15 a bird. I didn't care for that system at all and that's when I pretty much stopped going. I don't know how they operate now. When i used to go Fields 3, 5 and 6 were the hot ones to start in, but again I haven't been there in years so take what I say with a grain of salt. The one nice thing about Green River was it was less congested than say DesPlaines or Kankakee. It was also a pretty long a$$ haul from Downers Grove. I would be interested in your take on the place after your hunt so please follow up on this thread.

1993 Tracker 17' Dual Console
60HP Johnson w/ Evinrude 9.9 4-stroke kicker

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:25pm - Oct 1,15 
I have not hunted that one unfortunately, its not one that I hear much about one here.

I used to hunt Des Plaines and Kankakee a fair amount. Des Plaines was such a nightmare with the sweatline and everyone thinking if they didnt get their first choice it was a tragedy, never seen so many hunters cry about hunting areas. We always picked one out of the way and always got at least one bird a person with no dog but always had fun. A couple times ran into someone with a dog that let us hunt. Last time we were there ran into a group of 3 guys with a great dog, they offered to let us hunt with them and my 10:30A all of us were limited out and still missed a fair amount of birds.

I always likes Kankakee, wasnt as crowded but I swear there were days when they didnt let out birds. There were days when we never saw a bird and we walked for hours. Did kill a few rabbits though on days we didnt get birds.

Sorry I couldnt help, one of the few places I haven't pheasant hunted.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:53pm - Oct 3,15 
Hunted a few years ago, friend got drawn, I have dog. Great cover for sure. We did not get into any pheasants but did find 2 covies of quail and got a few. Very cool. Had a huge area to hunt and no one was there. We where also in the middle of season. I assume you are talking about the pha permits, not put and take. Good luck, have dog will travel. Just saying.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:54pm - Nov 11,15 
Hunted the area this morning. Didn't see a pheasant until we were driving home and one crossed the road in front of us. Looks like they burned 3/4 of the area. Thought we were hunting in an ashtray. Will never request that area again.

Board index » Game Bag » Upland Birds/Game
Jump to: