Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:32pm - Apr 20,15 
I'm not a big turkey hunter but I know I have a lot of them on my farm. So I was able to get my first one after 3 years of hunting. I don't spend much time trying but this year I really wanted to get one. Well on Friday I got to the farm a little late at 5:45 and managed to kill one at 6:10. Let's call it pure luck. Nothing crazy just a nice 20lb bird with an 11 inch bird. He will be my one and only turkey that's mounted so he's at Cliff's Taxidermy right now.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:00pm - Apr 20,15 
Congrats on the bird! An 11 inch beard is a pretty good bird by anyone.

I think we have similar hunting tastes. I'm a big deer hunter but just never got into turkey hunting. I really should give it a try, seems like there are more and more birds lately. For some reason the farm I hunt doesn't hold a ton in the fall but in the spring we hear them all the time.

Not sure if I asked you this before, but are you hunting in the Plainfield area? Just curious if that is the area where you have a lot of birds, pure curiosity.

Congrats again!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:25pm - Apr 20,15 
This bird was killed at my farm in Marion county but I do hunt deer near a forest preserve in the area.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 05:07am - Apr 21,15 
Three years of trying does not make your first one luck, you developed a skill level. Nice going.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:58am - Apr 21,15 
Congrats! My hunting buddy and I are going to give it a shot in Indiana one of the upcoming weekends. It'll be our first time trying for turkey. I just hope to learn something but the farmer's wife wants one so we're going to give it a shot. Congrats again! Care to share more of the story as to how you called him in and distance for the shot?

Formerly Anchor Management
Montrose Harbor
Channel 7
-----------------------------------------------------------

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:23am - Apr 21,15 
Not much of a story. As I walked to my spot I could hear a few gobbliing in the roost nearby. I ended up busting 4 out of the roost as I walked to my spot. I got to my spot about 75 yards away and figured if I stayed in my spot all day sonething would walk by. I'll be honest I was texting my wife to let her know I made it to the farm safely and as I was about to hit send I looked up to see him all alone about 25 yards away. I had used the box call no more than 5 times in hopes to just get the birds curious what was there. Anyways I kept my movements slow as I put my phone down and raised the gun up. Once I got the gun up to my shoulder he began walking away. So a 30 yard shot did the trick. And this is why I say I was lucky.

Board index » Game Bag » Upland Birds/Game
Jump to: