Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:33pm - Jun 19,17 
Just wondering is there any good places to go rabbit hunting in upper portion of state without dog and on public land? :thanks Any luck if you guys go out?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:48pm - Jun 19,17 
Only one state-run park that allows rabbit hunting outside of pheasant clean-up hunts in Northeastern IL.... Mazonia.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:28pm - Jun 19,17 
If you want to drive a little down south, Clinton conservation area has rabbit hunting. Some years are good while others are lean. Just my thoughts. Wazoo54

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:57pm - Jun 19,17 
Pannie Popper wrote:
Only one state-run park that allows rabbit hunting outside of pheasant clean-up hunts in Northeastern IL.... Mazonia.

This is incorrect, Kankakee allows rabbit hunting with their pheasant hunting. I have killed a few bunnies out of there pheasant hunting. Not many people hunt them because they have bird dogs but without dogs they are fun to hunt. I'd buy a two bird permit for Kankakee and have your fun with Pheasant and rabbits. Kankakee isn't hunted too hard. They don't release a ton of birds but you can get in the brush and do some rabbit hunting. The lack of pheasant gives you a lot more room to hunt too. There definitely pheasant out there and you can get your two bird limit w/o a dog but the added rabbit hunting makes it a bit more fun. You'll have to work for your birds but you can get lucky and find 2 or 3 hanging around each other and limit out quick. My advice, walk some of the thinner strips of woods, go places people don't want to take their dogs and then hit the woods.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:09am - Jun 20,17 
BigB wrote:
Pannie Popper wrote:

This is incorrect, Kankakee allows rabbit hunting with their pheasant hunting. I have killed a few bunnies out of there pheasant hunting. Not many people hunt them because they have bird dogs but without dogs they are fun to hunt. I'd buy a two bird permit for Kankakee and have your fun with Pheasant and rabbits. Kankakee isn't hunted too hard. They don't release a ton of birds but you can get in the brush and do some rabbit hunting. The lack of pheasant gives you a lot more room to hunt too. There definitely pheasant out there and you can get your two bird limit w/o a dog but the added rabbit hunting makes it a bit more fun. You'll have to work for your birds but you can get lucky and find 2 or 3 hanging around each other and limit out quick. My advice, walk some of the thinner strips of woods, go places people don't want to take their dogs and then hit the woods.

I stand corrected.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:06pm - Jun 23,17 
I hunted mazonia twice last year in January for rabbit without a dog. Didn't kick up a rabbit either day but it was nice a walk afield with gun in hand.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:57pm - Jun 23,17 
TheGreek wrote:
I hunted mazonia twice last year in January for rabbit without a dog. Didn't kick up a rabbit either day but it was nice a walk afield with gun in hand.

This is why I like K3 if I want to try and get a bunny or two. Sure, it costs me $30 for the pheasant tags but you have the chance to get rabbits and pheasants. Spend a day out there and most likely you are going to see a rabbit or two and most likely a couple pheasant. Study the arial maps, and figure out where they will push the pheasant in the woods and hunt that and you'll see some game.

Board index » Game Bag » Upland Birds/Game
Jump to: